+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Speed of recovery concerns and clunking!  (Read 3010 times)

Ricky

Speed of recovery concerns and clunking!
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »
I'm a 35 yr old male and 6 weeks post op today. I was told to use 2 crutches for 6 weeks, I just don't feel I have the strength or balance to walk without the support of at least 1 crutch. Ive stuck to my daily exercises religiously and felt the muscles had improved. I definitely couldn't walk up stairs unassisted and I am concerned that this is not normal? I probably have a confidence issue with it as well, as I'm trying to protect it as I'm afraid of damaging the prothesis. Also I have had mild clunking sensation, no noise but just unsettling. It happens sometimes when I'm resting and maybe tighten certain muscles and release them, as well as quite regularly when moving around. Is this to be expected due to weak muscles from even before the op? Any help or similar stories are appreciated.
Ricky

Neild5

Re: Speed of recovery concerns and clunking!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »
Ricky,

Welcome to the hippest forum on the web.  I am 8 days post op on my second resurfacing and get a clunking sensation when I move the hip in certain ways.  This is not coming from the joint but is my quads muscle catching and then releasing as I move.  You say you are doing your exercises daily, what kind of physical therapy are you doing? 
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
Hey Ricky, all of this is thoroughly normal. Switching from two crutches to none immediately is probably not good to do. I went from two crutches, about one or two weeks on one crutch, then no support, but still limped a bit until my hips got strong enough.

First, don't measure your progress by anyone else. We all had our recoveries at different rates, the only thing is your goal - to be fully functional on that hip in a year or so. For anything else you need to listen to your body, to look at your own progress based on how you feel.

Clunking is a fact of life for most of us during the first year. I got it quite a bit when I was where you are. It just means that your supporting muscles are not strong enough to keep tight control on the prosthesis yet. That's fine, it's what you're working on with your exercises. Check all of our comments, stories and you'll see a large number of us talking about clunking. We talk about it almost as much as TEDs and ROM.  ;D

You're fine, exactly where you should be, given that you're just freshly getting off the crutches. You'll have trouble with stairs, etc. that and the clunking will reduce and go away.

Patience is the worst for all of us, but you are in this for the long haul, so relax and let your recovery happen.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:04:30 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Ricky

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
Hernanu
Thanks for your reply. Everything you've said makes perfect sense and has helped a lot. Guess I was expecting miracles after 6 weeks but realise its a marathon and not a sprint! Ill keep up with the exercises and just do whatever the physios tell me! Heres to walking properly again.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:01:53 PM »
There you go, and keep it up, you're doing good things.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
hernanu is right, your body will heal at it's own pace.  You have to do your work and be patient and let it heal.  Are you working with a physical therapist?  You do need to be working on your strength at some point.

I keep trying to get my body to heal at my pace but it seems to have it's own schedule.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Ricky

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »
My first physio session is next Monday. It was their advice to leave it until then. I did buy a set of ankle weights to give me a bit more resistance when doing the exercises. Ive been using them from about week 3/4 as I was starting to find the exercises too easy even by upping the reps. The body just doesnt listen to the mind sometimes Woodstock.

Neild5

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:19:18 PM »
Ricky,

Did you have any surgical complications?  If not, did the doctor say why the conservative route?

Ricky

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »
Hey Neil, no complications, as far as I'm aware everything went according to plan. Think my recovery plan is fairly standard here, even the physio info sheets I was given clearly states 6 weeks on cruthes and to only do the exercises stated. I spoke to a couple of other people I know who had the resurfacing op by the same consultant and they were in the same boat, although one had to see a pysio sooner as he had problems with pain from his groin down to his knee. I'm thinking it depends on the surgeons approach during the op and his own preferences for recovery.

Neild5

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
Wow,

Just such a difference from both of my hips.  I had this last hip done on Monday 2/20, inpatient PT twice on both Tuesday and Wednesday and released Wednesday.  Thursday 2/23 I had my out patient  PT evaluation.  Starting Friday 2/24 I am having an hour PT 3X a week for 6 weeks.  This is in addition to walking, I expect to be able to walk 1 mile (1.61 km) at 2 weeks.  Today I have started walking around the house un assisted.
Last year when the left hip was done it was in worse shape and I had similar restrictions.

I understand we each have to heal at our own pace and complications come into play, but there seems to be a huge difference in the base recovery plan from one area of the world to another. 

blkhank

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
My Dr. Was very consecutive also. 50% weight bearing first 6 wk. and and no abduction.I was cleared 2 wks. ago using 1 crutch outside my home. Started pool therapy ,it's way more comfortable and had better ROM . Good luck it will get easier.

hipnhop

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
Rick I was clunking for about 6 months.  I am 12 months post op on the first and no more clunking. 

If your doc said you can be full weight bearing put some weight on that bad boy.  I am 4 weeks out on my second and I have to ditch the cane and feel the weight. I know how you feel. I am scared to do it at times but the surgeon and pt told me to lose the cane. I was about to hit them with it. 

On my  2 mile walks I do about 1/4 without the cane. I look funny. I put the cane across both shoulders like I;m carrying a log and walk. It helps me stay level. I concentrate on fully lifting the leg and a good heel strike. Got to work it man.

Good luck and be smart.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
On my  2 mile walks I do about 1/4 without the cane. I look funny.

Is that because of the limp, Hip?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:36:47 AM by hernanu »

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »
Ricky,

I think there is just a huge variation in how conservative the recovery plans are between surgeons.  Did your doc measure your bone density prior to surgery (Dexa scan)?  Dr. Gross will limit weight bearing for those with lower bone density similar to your weight bearing plan.

I'm 8 weeks out, and I clunk everyday.  I've noticed that it occurs mostly when I'm stationary and shifting weight, like when I'm at the sink washing dishes, or in the shower.  Definitely a weird sensation.

Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM