+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Don't know what to do...  (Read 1147 times)

Spanielsal

Don't know what to do...
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
Hi there, I'm Sal, I was diagnosed with bilateral Hip dysplasia in 96, there followed a few grim years of pushing on to get through the pain.  I had my family and when my youngest was 10months old I had a Left hip resurfacing with a Cormet 2000 in 2003.  the resurf has been good, I was virtually pain free very shortly after the op, my husband said i looked 10 years younger. the right one hurts now, actually so does the left one but L isn't slipping or clunking like the right.  I am headed off to have my metal ions checked.  I went asking for another Resurf but am told no, but am offered an Exeter (ceramic head THR) but could be facing differing leg length and i am worried about how that will affect my resurf on lhs.  also told that ceramic head can shatter if i hop..... am only 40, feel very depressed.  what do I do?? do i have any other options?  i am very thankful for my pain free years.  But the right one has been grumbling for awhile now.  the episodes of serious pain are more frequent and i can feel the bone clunking with most steps and driving for more than 15 mins is a calculated risk.  Is there any other way to turn other than THR?  thanks. 
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

hernanu

Re: Don't know what to do...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »
Hi Sal, welcome and sorry to hear that you're having problems. Pat (the owner of the site) has put a list of doctors who have a lot of experience and also do revisions on resurfaced hips that have failed. There is also a smaller group of really experienced doctors who will look at your XRays and give you their opinion on how to proceed for free.

They, more than anyone probably could give you an idea of whether there is an alternative to a THR.  I would get other opinions, again hopefully from a highly skilled resurfacing surgeon to at least know what the options are.

The way I've heard it, THR technology has improved greatly and with large head MOM, smaller footprint devices like the mini hip and others, are better than they were in 2003.

Here is the page on the site that lists heavily experienced surgeons who are committed to HRs, who I believe also do revisions and THRs - you can look for someone in your area. Also Drs. Bose, DeSmet, Gross,  (don't know who else) will look at your XRays and other information for free and give you an opinion.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

I hope the best for you, if you can revise to a resurfacing, that's great, but a THR is not a bad choice now. Please keep in touch.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »
I do, a different kind from what I've seen, although I don't think it's as much the device as much as how it was placed and the healing that went on. No problem on anything, I think you'll find that the people here are eager to help if they can.

If they can't then count on us for support as you go through your quest for a painless future. The doctor resources that Pat has put together are a great boon for us, many hippys have used them, so don't be shy and find out how to send your information to them.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

johnd_emd

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »
Not quite sure I read this right.  You have a resurfaced left hip, and nothing on the right?  Pain mostly on the right, but you feel some in the left now?  Like Hernanu stated, you need to get into one of the GOOD resurfacing doctors to have them look at it.  Just because it's hurting a little on the left doesn't mean it's because of the device.  You could be getting some referred pain from the right hip.  Symptoms of pain from your right hip can show up in your left hip and in the lower back.  Best bet is to have some films taken by a reputable, experienced resurfacing doctor. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM