+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: A question of flexibility  (Read 1911 times)

Baby Barista

A question of flexibility
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
How long after surgery did it take you to be able to rest the ankle on your operative side on your other knee? Otherwise known as the sock-n-shoe-puttin-on-position.

And what was the latest muscle group to loosen up. Quads? Glutes? Groin?
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Luanna

Re: A question of flexibility
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:36 PM »
Embarassed to tell you that I still can't do that at 6 months post op. My PT is stretching the hip capsule and that seems to help a bit. Not sure what muscles are involved but mine are not being flexible for that position. The leg will only go so far and then stops!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »
BB -  within the last month I can put my ankle on my knee as you describe.  I am actually more flexible on my operated side than I have been for years.  I definitely work out a lot and stretch to achieve that.  My operated side is still not as flexible as the natural side.

I definitely think the gluteus maximus is the hardest for me.  Those years of walking funny definitely shortened those muscles.  I feel them coming around though.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:55:03 AM »
I'm at 15 weeks and I just tried it for the first time, but I can do it no sweat.  I've been stretching in one way or another, every morning since the surgery.  This stuff won't loosen up on it's own.  You have to stretch regularly.  Figure out a routine and do it faithfully every day.  My routine of stretching and core exercises takes a little over a half hour, I go through it every day,  and I'm getting close to my pre-injury level of looseness. 
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Two4One

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:51 AM »
Bebe,

I can do it!  Seriously, about 2 weeks ago, using either leg I could easily put my foot on the opposite knee.  I don't do it though because I haven't seen my surgeon for my scheduled April 4th 3 month follow up and want to make sure Dr. Schmitt 'clears' it.  Long story short, at about a month and a half post op, I was putting on my own socks and shoes.

Keep up the PT religiously, and you'll achieve that milestone in a jiffy!

Take Care Bebe,
2fer
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:40 AM »
I to could do this within a couple weeks but it was not allowed and was not very comfortable.  After restrictions were lifted at 6 weeks and I started working on flexibility comfort level improved quickly.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

lori.36

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
I think 3 months.  I am now 9 months and it is still a stretch for my glutes
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
Three months on both sides. The last was actually much easier and still is; the left resists a bit - my test is whether I can do it without using my hands to pull it. The right just flows into it, the left just sort of looks at me and says ... "Ok... but you owe me".

I did stretch quite a bit (and still do) - I set flexibility as a big goal with my PT.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

juliaholly

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »
It was about three weeks for me. My LBHR was 10 weeks ago Tuesday, and I'm almost (but not quite) back to doing splits - of course, I could do splits up until surgery (but it wasn't very comfortable) and my flexibility is almost entirely normal. But it seems like that may be rare.
Left BHR, Dr. Brooks, Dec. 20, 2011

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
Whoa.. I'd check with Dr. Brooks on that - it's not that your larger muscles aren't that flexible (which is great, I haven't come close to a split in 7 years), but that in doing so you may be stressing out your supporting muscles.

It's worth a little work in the future to allow everything to heal now.

juliaholly

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
I'm with you on long term. I typically run marathons but have made peace with not running for a year. But I specifically asked Brooks if I could do splits, and his answer was: "If you can do them, do them. Won't cause any harm. No chance it's gonna dislocate." Again, I could do them pre-surgery, so it's not like I'm trying out something new.

I really appreciate your concern.  I've read about some physical feats on here from pretty recent post-surgery people that seem a little -- ambitious, to say the least.
Left BHR, Dr. Brooks, Dec. 20, 2011

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 04:42:52 PM »
Well, if he's good with it, great stuff. Nice to be in great shape going in, I'm playing catchup.

Two4One

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
Me too, Nanu. 

Being bedridden for so long due to lack of correct diagnosis, my Left buttock had actually atrophied, I had no calves at all anymore, and I completely lacked general muscle tone.  Right up until my sudden onset, BOA I worked out religiously and before that I had a personal trainer for years to keep me in my size '6's.

One of the many things I love about the hippies on Surface Hippy is their re-dedication to fitness post op.  It's totally inspiring!

'One
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

hipnhop

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
I couldn't do it before surgery and I can't do it now.  My running coach says all those stretches are necessary.  I guess I won't be going to Yoga class.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat