+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Help with IT band/Knee Pain!  (Read 2031 times)

mountaingoat

Help with IT band/Knee Pain!
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
I believe there are a number of others who have had post-op knee pain and IT band problems. Mine is currently so flared up that I'm having difficulty with walking. (I can walk of course but it hurts during and after).

As background, I've had alot of problems with my knee on my right side since my hip problems began - at times my knee caused as many problems as my hip. I've done every kind of PT modality imaginable to treat the IT band over the last few years - massage, trigger point needling, chiropractic, glute strengthening, yoga and finally platelet-rich plasma injections. The injections actually did help and I got my knee back to 80%. It really hasn't bothered me at all for the last year and a half but it always gets worse when my hip gets worse. I think the issue is obviously entirely a function of weakness in the glutes and hip flexors and the compensation and biomechanical strain this causes. I've done the foam roller plenty but the issue is more one of my knee being pulled out of alignment by my hip.

I guess I'm mainly looking for some reassurance that the knee pain will get better as my hip continues to heal...because it would be a really big downer if after all this I'm able to walk ok with my new hip but my knee keeps me out of the game!  :-[ How long did it take people for their knee pain to go away/improve? As soon as I hit 6 weeks on Monday I'm going to be able to start PT and strengthening so I hope it will help things along.

Another question - if you have a chronic injury such as this and it has been dormant for a long time, is it better to ice or heat when it flares up suddenly? I know ice is for new/traumatic injuries and heat is generally better for chronic tendon problems but in this case mine hasn't hurt for the last 18 months and is now rearing its ugly head again.

Thanks for any tips.

Amy

hernanu

Re: Help with IT band/Knee Pain!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
Hi Amy, sorry you're dealing with this. I also have had IT issues, which were mostly addressed with aspirin and the roller.

I still am fending it off with the roller, I can tell on days when I don't do it (like today), it gets a bit stiff. It is much better than it was, although the referred knee discomfort (tightness) can come up if I let it go too long.

I really have no knee pain any more, which I did have before the surgeries, along with back and shoulder pain. All of that has pretty much gone away, except for the usual ouches of working out, dancing, etc. I can honestly say that my body is in much better shape than it was pre OA, but there are no guarantees.

I think you're still a bit early for doing the roller (?) but maybe some light massage in the area would help. It might also be a bit difficult to separate between scar tissue issues and IT. Both I think are attacked by the roller, so when you get the go ahead, I would use that particular torture tool (kidding, it only was uncomfortable for me the first week or two). I try to use it every day.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mountaingoat

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »
Thanks Hernanu.

I have used the foam roller at times and it does help to get rid of some of the nasty trigger points along the IT band and quad. Many people don't really know this but you can't actually stretch or elongate the IT band. I definitely think my problem is coming from the atrophy in my glutes because my knee has been totally fine for a long time until suddenly when I started building up my walking post-op. I just hope I can get rid of it this time without it taking 2 years.

Its hard to tell whether the knee pain is referred pain from the hip or just knee pain caused by the poor alignment and biomechanics of the hip muscles.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »
Whether referred or biomechanics, it should be taken care of by strengthening the hip. Hope your hip strengthens and all of this goes away, Amy.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Neild5

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM »
Amy,

You should have started PT this week, is it helping?  If your PT is any good they should be able to help with the knee and the IT band.  your incision should be nicely healed so doing soft tissue work won't be limited.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

mountaingoat

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
Hi Neil,
 I did start PT this week. I also had a sports massage on the area around my knee/IT band. It is still brutally painful and we're not sure what is going on - it seems to have come out of nowwhere almost overnight and is way, way worse than anything I ever dealt with pre-op. I am almost wondering if something could have been torn during surgery (lateral meniscus can sometimes mimic symptoms of IT band). I am going to see an orthopedist about it hopefully soon.

Amy

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:39 AM »
Amy-

I have had IT problems since I started running in junior high school.  I have always stretched to keep the pain under control. 

The ten years before surgery I had to give up running and also stopped stretching until the last two years before surgery.  I would have horrible pain in my knee from walking.  I was able to reduce that some with stretching and strengthening prior to surgery.

After surgery I had some improvement in the knee pain but it still got very sore.  I was diligent with my exercises, stretching, and roller and balls.  Over several months the knee pain gradually decreased to the point that I rarely feel anything.  What a relief.

I have been running six days a week for five weeks and have only an occasional twinge.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mountaingoat

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
Hi Dan,
 Thanks for your response - I read through some old threads and saw that you struggled with IT band as much as I have. I know that some people are more prone to it b/c of the way their pelvis is rotated (anterior rotation as opposed to posteriorly). It results in glute muscles that are inhibited which in turn causes the IT band and Vastus Lateralis to be overused/tight.

Its good to hear that your knee pain has gotten better since surgery and not worse. Right now I am sort of still in shock that mine is this bad ~ I never had much of a problem with it when walking or doing basic things, it was always with running and sometimes cycling. Right now it just hurts when I walk any distance >:(

Do you think that yours has gotten better because your hip is stronger or because the OA was referring pain to your knee and now thats gone? Or both? I just fear that now that my glutes have been cut I will never be able to recover the full strength enough to make the IT band problems go away.

I am going to get a shot in the lateral epicondyl bursa hopefully soon. I know that shots are not the solution but what I would like is for it to help with the immediate inflammation so I can move forward with strengthening the hip.

Man, its always freaking something!!!! Good thing my husband is gone rafting the Grand Canyon for the month of March because if he knew that I was struggling with yet another body part after I just had my hips done he would probably throw in his hat for good!  :-\

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 11:51:44 PM »
Amy-

I only had problems with my IT band when I ran.  At least until about five years ago.  Then just walking would cause my knee to hurt horribly.  In fact, alot of times my knee hurt worse than my hip.

I think my knee trouble was due to not being able to workout as the OA got worse and the adjustments I made to my biomechanics when walking, biking, etc.

Now that I am able to straighten up, strengthen, and resume training the knee has gotten better.

Hang in there.  I am willing to bet that your knee pain will subside gradually over the next few months.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer