+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Feeling Fortunate - and Good  (Read 1754 times)

juliaholly

Feeling Fortunate - and Good
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
I haven't been on the site in a while and I thought I'd check in. Tuesday, 2/28 was 10 weeks since my surgery with Dr. Brooks and I really couldn't ask for my recovery to go any better. I'd like to give my body credit for a little of it and a LOT of credit to Dr. Brooks and the excellent care I got at Cleveland Clinic.

The worst pain I had was in my quad muscles for about two weeks after surgery, as they recovered from being retracted. I had almost no bruising. Pain meds did little for me so I think I just stopped at 10 days. I did no "real" PT other than the six exercises Dr. Brooks gave me to do at home. At two weeks and one day, I could put my shoes and socks on with little difficulty. Got off crutches at six weeks and immediately after, hired a triathlon coach. Normally, I run marathons but since I can't run for a year (and I see some docs aren't as conservative as Brooks is, but I'd rather be safe than sorry) I'm focusing on swimming, biking, and weightlifting so I can do some aqua/bike events this year. My flexibility and range of motion is almost as good as it was before surgery.

I don't  mean to sound like a big brag, but I was a nervous wreck before surgery so I get anyone who feels that way - and I feel so good now. If you are thinking about having BHR and have nerves - I understand, but I want to tell you: my experience has been 100 percent positive. If you are hesitating: DON'T. Get it over with and re-start your life. And I unconditionally recommend Dr. Brooks. It has been a huge relief to realize this surgery hasn't negatively impacted my life in the way I anticipated it would.
Left BHR, Dr. Brooks, Dec. 20, 2011

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Feeling Fortunate - and Good
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »
Good for you!  I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.  I'm a little ahead of you at 14 weeks and I can't wait to reaturn to running, slowly, on May 7
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
Excellent, Julia. great news.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:51 PM »
Congrats Holly, and thanks for sharing.  True advice.  By December you will have no restrictions, and that will come along very soon.

I had my 2nd one by Brooks and company at Euclid Hospital last week, so far this one seems easier.  My care all around was again excellent, and I know made a huge difference, long term.

Best regards for continued recovery and keep us posted.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
Big congrats.  Isn't it wonderful to feel good?  If you are like me, it was a long time coming.  I am just short of three months already and just this week recognized that "gosh" I don't think about my hip on a nonstop basis.  I feel liked am able to get on with my life and for that I am extremely grateful.  I wish the same to all hippies out there!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:01:39 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
My man!! Great post!!! See you on the race course.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
I mean my Girl!!!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Awesome.  Thx for sharing.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

midiowa

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »
AWSOME! THATS WHAT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT. THANKS FOR SHARING I NEEDED TO HEAR THAT!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat