+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: trochanteric bursitis...  (Read 2120 times)

David

trochanteric bursitis...
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »
Has anyone dealt with this post-op?
I had it on and off pre-op and it's returned.
Anyone have any success with a cortisone shot or anything else?
Been doing all the suggested treatments and the acute stage pain has subsided but there is still a constant dull soreness and pain.  It's been two weeks since it came on with a vengeance.
Going to make an appointment to see Dr. Su but wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this.
I'm pretty sure it's a result of my overuse.
Thanks.
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Luanna

Re: trochanteric bursitis...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
Tennisgirl just had a shot from Dr. Gross for trochanteric bursitis. She hasn't posted recently but you might send her a PM and see how it is working for her.

What we thought might be trochanteric bursitis has turned out to be tight IT Band and muscles at top of hip crest. If it hurts a lot to the touch then is most likely bursitis - if dull ache inside - could be muscle stuff. Glutes too.... so many annoying twinges and pains and soooo much time to try to alleviate them. I find that ibuprofen helps when it is muscle stuff.

Hope whatever is bothering you goes away and stays away!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

John C

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
I had a couple of bouts with this over the first two years post surgery. I had a real problem with it during the first month after surgery. After that, it was always brought on by the switch to my summer activities; tennis, surfing, and windsurfing. Dr Gross confirmed that my symptoms indicated trochanteric bursitis. He suggested light repetitive exercises. I found that this, along with use of the foam roller on the IT band, made it go away in a few days to a week. He also said that the next step would be a cortisone injection, but the roller and the light repetitive exercises have always done the trick for me.
For what its worth, I have a theory on what caused mine. Prior to surgery, my femoral head had worn its way well into my acetabulum, so my soft tissue had shortened to accommodate this. During surgery, he restored my normal acetabular depth, which lengthened my leg by a few millimeters. I think that the IT band has the hardest time dealing with the extra stretch, and it goes right across the bursa, putting pressure on it.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

ZAP

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »
Tennisgirl just had a shot from Dr. Gross for trochanteric bursitis. She hasn't posted recently but you might send her a PM and see how it is working for her.

What we thought might be trochanteric bursitis has turned out to be tight IT Band and muscles at top of hip crest. If it hurts a lot to the touch then is most likely bursitis - if dull ache inside - could be muscle stuff. Glutes too.... so many annoying twinges and pains and soooo much time to try to alleviate them. I find that ibuprofen helps when it is muscle stuff.

Hope whatever is bothering you goes away and stays away!

Luanna

I have this IT band issue right now. I lie on a baseball placed at the crest. Hurts like hell.  Really tight..     Is it going to get worse post surgery and how did you fix it?

Baby Barista

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
That's a really interesting theory John. I never really thought about that, but it certainly makes sense. Maybe that would explain why some of us may feel tighter than others after surgery. My operative side is about a centimeter longer than than before surgery. I can tell I've got a lot of work ahead to develop flexibility.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Luanna

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »
Baby Barista,
I also had a longer operated leg after surgery for about 4 months. Turned out it was all muscles and it's now same length again. Weird thing but I was all ready to get an orthotic with a lift and was told to wait a few months and see if it didn't sort itself out. It did.

IT Band among other things are shortened for many of us and need stretching and work.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear