+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scheduled for March 28 w Dr. Gross...question about post op brain power  (Read 1557 times)

LAB123

Hi Hippies,

Thanks to all of you for the great information and support on this message board. I've been tuning in for months and you led me down the path that hopefully will end with a successful resurf by Dr. Gross on March 28.

One question that I don't see discussed is the timeframe for a return to full mental capacity after surgery. Most of my work can be done from a computer and I have a comfortable and accessible home office, so I'm wondering how long I should plan to be out of commission from a work perspective. Sounds like I'll be walking after 2-3 months, back to biking , golf, etc.  after 6 months, and free to do it all physically in a year. How long would you all recommend that I tell my work colleagues that I'll be missing?

All the best!

Larry
Dr. Gross, left hip, 3/28/2012

LAB123

oops meant walking after 2-3 weeks...

obxpelican

I was clear headed right after waking from that twilight sleep they put you in.  As long as you do not have to be medicated on narcotics you will be good to go when you get home in a home office assuming you have a comfy chair at home and you get up and stretch often.

I walked without any sticks by 3 1/2 weeks, I golfed at 8 1/2 weeks post-op 18 holes.

Now biking, Dr. Gross keeps you off the bike for I think 6 months, maybe a year I cannot remember for sure.

As far as going back in to your job, I would say if you could get 4-6 weeks minimum, I've heard of others getting back sooner.  Post-op make sure to allow yourself to take some naps as while you heal your body needs to rest more.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Chuck

One question that I don't see discussed is the timeframe for a return to full mental capacity after surgery. Most of my work can be done from a computer and I have a comfortable and accessible home office, so I'm wondering how long I should plan to be out of commission from a work perspective. Sounds like I'll be walking after 2-3 months, back to biking , golf, etc.  after 6 months, and free to do it all physically in a year. How long would you all recommend that I tell my work colleagues that I'll be missing?

All the best!

Larry
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dayton96

I took six weeks off after the surgery, but that was because my job required a lot of walking, bending, etc. I also worked a lot of late hours.  Having said that, I probably could have gone back to work two weeks after the surgery if all I had to do was sit at a computer in my home.  I might suggest you start out with partial days and work up.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

obxpelican

I resent that remark Mac..... you do know how hard it is to hit that escape button don't ya?   ;)

Yesterday I hit the escape button 3 times.

LOL

Chuck

I probably could have gone back to work two weeks after the surgery if all I had to do was sit at a computer in my home. 
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Aerial

For me it went like this:

Weeks one and two- rest and recovery, did a few outings for dinner, didn't drive yet, zero mental capacity even for reading, watched a lot of Netflix, off pain meds at about six days, began walking with cane at about two weeks.

Week three- feeling much better, begain walking on my own, started to do errands, shop and get out more, started driving just a day or two prior to 3 weeks post-op.

Week four- mental capacity returned now that I was out of the real acute recovery stage (a lot of icing, elevating, etc.), felt very ready to return to work and get back on a schedule since I didn't need any assistance with daily life or driving.

Returned to work right at one month post-op.  I am a professor so I do have to negotiate walking to and from on campus but otherwise not a real strenuous occupation.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:44:52 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

WTW15

I will echo Aerial's recovery, but with the caveat that I found a great reduction in the ability to Multi-task.  I work from home as well and that is a huge benefit.  My return to work at 4 wks included a lunch-break quick nap - like 20 min - to rejuvinate.  At 6 wks, I still find I need a power nap a couple times a week, but I think that has to do with my inability to still get a good night's sleep.  And that's getting better as well. 

I found that I could only sit at the desk for a little bit at a time.  I would change positions, stand, kneel, sit on the yoga ball, and then just walk away and walk a little bit.  If you can take frequent breaks, all the better. 

4 weeks seemed to be the point where I really felt like my head was finally clear.  I had a spinal and general, and am still taking Tylenol 3 to help me sleep at night. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

mslendzion

I took 5 weeks off as prescribed by my doctor. I could have worked the last week but instead used the time to focus on PT.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

LAB123

Great info and thanks to all of you...looks I'd better count on a little more down time than I had been expecting...

And Chuck it's that darned backspace button that really tires me out!!

Larry

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat