+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has anyone had successful temporary disability filing?  (Read 2346 times)

Two4One

Has anyone had successful temporary disability filing?
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:54:06 AM »
Hi Surface Hippies!

I couldn't fathom going back to work right now, so I'm filing for Social Security 'back disability' to 2009 and for temporary disability; that's when the end stage OA occurred   I read on the US government site that THR's get One Year of disability of post op.  If all the above is available, why then I certainly will go that route.

The Dilaudid taper is rough going.  I had no idea how powerful and pain masking that stuff was until I started my slow taper and have corresponding increased pain.  In the 3 months prior to my 11.01.11 revision arthroscopy, I did a fast taper, pretty much a complete cessation and was sick for 2 solid week.  This time I'm going slowly, no hurry, and I also can't be too sick to do my PT.  I can see now that I won't be able to work effectively in my field until I'm off the Dilaudid, and until I have pain I can live and work with on the job.

I'd like to file for Social Security 'back' disability and temporary disability until I'm able to resume work in my field.  Does anyone have any successful claim tips they can share with me?

Thanks again, for anyone who could offer advice,

'One
aka
2fer
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Has anyone had successful temporary disability filing?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:45:03 AM »
Hang in there, getting off those addicting pain killers is probably the hardest thing you'll have to do in your recovery.  I know you can do it.  It's just the toughest part.  Good luck with it, we will all be behind you adding our strength.

One thing I know about SSI disability is that it's easier with a lawyer who specializes in SSI disability.  They're fee is regulated and they only get paid if they arsuccessfulul.  If you use a lawyer, you can focus on your recovery and let him or her take care of the problems with SSI
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

strost

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »
As an insurance agent, I can tell you that getting SSN DI benefits is one of the hardest things to get even with something major. I was curious after your post because it did not even occur to me to check to see if I would qualify under it. From the info I saw, I would say it would be highly unlikely to be "unable to walk" for about a year - unless you have a horrible failure.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/conditions-page-1-34.html#b had some good info on it.

I wish you a speedy recovery and that this is the furthest thing from your mind in a couple of months!
Susan

Two4One

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »
Thank you, Susan & Woody for your kind replies,

Susan, I believe where I will qualify for disability would be for a 'back period' of August 2008 right up to the two months after my bilateral resurfacing on December 20th, 2011.  I was unable to walk at all without massive amounts of opiates.  After my failed arthroscopies for torn labrums, R hip scoped December 2008 and the left hips scoped February 2009, and due to missed diagnosis because my bilateral end stage bone on bone OA was in rare blind spots on all the films, I was left completely bedridden in a hospital bed in my living room right up until mid February of 2012, when we returned the bed. 

I can now walk with sometimes limping late at night, but I'm in considerable pain and on Dilaudid still.  Although, I am tapering off steeply since my successful resurfacing with the phenomenal Dr. Schmitt out of Detroit and should be off narcotics within a couple of months.  Where I believe I have a case for a 'back period of disability' it that Dr. Schmitt flatly stated to my husband that he viewed during my bilateral resurfacing the tops of my femurs sheared off, and the walls of my acetabular sockets thinned to the point where my femurs had almost protruded through them and that the physical evidence indicated that condition had been present as of August 2008.

My process at this point will be to file for this limited disability period and include my surgeon's and pain management doctor's medical opinions I outlined above.  From my understanding, I'll likely be turned down, then I resubmit with an attorney's assistance and have a good shot.

Thank you both for replying, and if anyone at all has anymore pertinent information that will help me streamline my disability filing and ultimate success, please let me know.

'One
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Luanna

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
My mom was able to get SSI disability when she was in her mid fifties. She had a pacemaker installed and could not work around the medical machines (xray etc.) as they would set her pacemaker off. She even had trouble with working on her sewing machine and bought a treadle machine. She was very ill for quite some time.

It was a very tough go. They sent her to a state doctor who about killed her - she was in bed for a week after going through the treadmill and heart tests he put her through. He testified in court that she was just fine and should have no problems working. I was about 20 at that time and outraged that he could lie so well and convincingly.

But - we had a good lawyer and a very sympathetic judge and he found in her favor. I don't know what we would have done if it had gone against her. Single woman and sole supporter of her family. She'd worked for 24 years as a rocket computer data person and then moved up to Anacortes and was about to start xray work at the local hospital (her old trade) when she had the major heart problem and surgery.

I'd say get a good lawyer and let them do the leg work for you.
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Two4One

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »
Well, the one lawyer I contacted so far, here in my snowy part of "Mordor", oops, I mean the Midwest, said I had to file unsuccessfully first, and then he'd take the case.  I was referred to this lawyer by my old lawyer, Mr. 'Meaner Than a Junkyard Dog'1 or "Slim"2 for short.   "Slim" was my 'marriage counselor' who put Hubs back in his place when we were two business days of our divorce being final - about 3 years into our fledgling marriage.  I digress.

Anyway, back at the ranch, it seems it may behoove me to get another attorney referral, perhaps this time from my family doctor; Doc Fam seems pretty plugged into this one horse town and probably knows the go to guy for successful disability.  Monday first thing, I'll also ask Doc Pain for a disability referral because, Lord knows, most of his poor sods, I mean patients, are already on disability.

Thanks, Luanna, for getting my wheels turning more through the fog of my withdrawal!  I swear I am getting by with a little help from my friends!3

Thank you, Hippies!

'One
aka
2fer

1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_TM5AvJP0&feature=related Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown (Live) [remastered 16:9]

2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQrTGE4wwwA Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim (Live) [remastered 16:9]

3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24mkN0ybZ8 With a Little Help From my Friends- The Beatles

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:29:31 PM by Two4One »

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
Good luck with this,  what about Binder and Binder?  I think they operate in every state.  I talked to them several years ago when I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to work after surgery on both knees.  I also talked to two local SSI lawyers and all three told me the same thing; if you are over 50 and your doctor says that you can no longer do the same  work you have been doing for the past 15 years, you will be granted SSI disability and it takes about one year total to get the award retroactive to the day of disability.

I don't know if you're fifty but even if you aren't, with your doctors on your side you have a good case.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat