+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swim fins for pool rehab?  (Read 3706 times)

mountaingoat

Swim fins for pool rehab?
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »
What are peoples' thoughts on using swim fins for rehab? I would like to get back in the pool and do something other than just float around. Back when I use to swim before I had chronic shoulder problems I would often do 800-1000 meters of kicking with fins, sometimes on my back. Its good for strengthening the core and activating the larger glute muscles as opposed to kicking without fins which tends to recruit the quads and smaller hip rotators.

I will be 6 weeks this week and was cleared to get in the pool at 4 weeks but haven't yet done so. I don't want to screw anything up but I also really need to start strengthening my hips. As I mentioned in a previous post, my knee and IT band are so flared up right now that walking is tough.

Thanks for any insights.

Amy

Neild5

Re: Swim fins for pool rehab?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
I was swimming with fins about 5 weeks on my left hip and took it slow.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
I used fins with a kick board early at about 4 to 6 weeks and it was too much on the hips, left me very sore.  I'm now at 14 weeks and I'm going to give it another try.  They are great for building strength, but this time I'll go a little slower with it.

You might want to try getting flotationon belt and jogging in the pool.  I also used that early and it felt great.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:21:00 AM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

David

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:03:52 AM »
Easy with the fins at first Amy.  Don't avoid them, but introduce them gradually.  I would suggest no more than 10% of your workout to be with fins at first.  If you have a choice use a pair that are less rigid as well.
Flotation belt is great as well to wake up those muscles without the impact.
Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

midiowa

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
what about hot tubs?

jjmclain

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Amy,

I was allowed back in the pool after 4 weeks and started using fins immediately when I kicked. I had no problems...no matter what distance. Everyone is different so just listen to your body!

June

David

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »
Fins are fine in the hot tub...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »
AquaSphere Aqua Fins. Why? you don't have to kick. They are buoyant and will keep you legs up in the water.  I just ordered a pair from swimoutlet.com.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
I got in the pool at three weeks and was enjoying the freedom in there.  I love walking and swimming.  McMinn recommends frog kicks right away to strengthen the hips.
Just follow the golden rule with rehab" listen to your body"
Also take little baby and put her in a floatie and push her around.  Sounds like fun!
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

mountaingoat

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
Well today was perhaps the best rehab day yet since my surgery. I got in the pool and swam for about 25 minutes - maybe 800-1000 yards. ( I grew up swimming in grade school and high school so my typical swim workouts are around 3500 meters). I ended up using the fins most of the time and felt ok - we'll see how I do tomorrow. I actually thought it helped make me more buoyant so I didn't have to exert too much energy and overuse my legs. I did some kicking with the board and fins, some on my back and then maybe a 400 freestyle. I felt a lot looser and my knee/IT band felt a lot better after too. Hit the hot tub on the way out.

It was gorgeous here in Boulder today so I took the dog for a walk and used my hiking poles instead of crutches. (I'm 6 weeks tomorrow - finally!). I have to say that using hiking poles seems to be a much more ergonomic option than one crutch or a cane. It distributes the weight a lot better and I felt a lot more balanced. I walked for about 45 minutes on the trails by my house...felt pretty good. Knee is still sore with walking and hips feel super weak but I'm doing pretty well, for today anyway. IT band definitely hurts worse than the hips at this point.

Thanks for the tips everyone on swimming and rehab. I'm going to try and swim again later this week.

Amy

jon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:49:05 AM »
Fins have worked well for me.  Also, per Lori, the McMinn camp promotes breast-stroke kicking. They strongly advise though to stay in your comfort zone, especially early on. 

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
Nice job, Amy.  It sure feels good to get back to real exercise, huh? 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hipnhop

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
Just got my fins in and I am ready to swim. Monday it is back in the water. YEsssss!!!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal