+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery Feb 28, 2012  (Read 2783 times)

ronr

Surgery Feb 28, 2012
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
I have read this site for 2 years leading up to surgery and wanted to come on here and post about my surgery.  I had a right BHR done Feb 28, 2012.  Dr Robert Barrack of Washington University Orthopedics in St Louis, MO did the surgery.  My progress has been wonderful.  Dr Barrack did surgery on Tuesday, sent me home on Wednesday, I was walking with a cane Friday, walked a mile on the track Sunday, and am at work today.  There has been some swelling, but not what I was expecting.  My muscles freak out periodically, but I expected that.  I don't know why my recovery is going so fast but can only contribute it to the surgeon.  I have done research on this sight for about 2 years and have only seen Dr Barrack's name mentioned a couple of times.  If anyone is looking for a surgeon in the St Louis area, I highy recommend him.  I would also like to thank Pat for creating such a wonderful website.  The information on the site has followed right along with what my surgeon has asked me to do.  Doing research on this site is what convinced me to go ahead with  a BHR instead of a THR and I am very glad that I did.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Surgery Feb 28, 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
Hi Ron

Glad to hear things went so well.  some of us are very luck to have quick and easy recoveries.  Please don't forget that even though things are going well, don't over do your activities yet.  Try to take it easy and not push more than you have to since you are already at work.  Remember, even though we feel really good, there is a lot of healing to do yet.

Thanks for sharing your information about Dr. Barrack.  I will add your story and hopefully updates to the main website.  I try to do that for many of the stories, but sometimes lose track since there are so many.

Anyone that wants their story posted on the main site just needs to send me their story and updates at  pwalter@surfacehippy.info It is easier for me to post stories when they are sent to me.

Meanwhile, please keep in touch when you can.  Good Luck with the rest of your healing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
Hey, congrats, Ron.

Like Pat mentioned, I'm happy you're on a good track, but make sure you give yourself both the opportunity to heal by resting, doing exercises and moving a good amount. If you're sitting in an office, you want to make sure there is enough movement to both allow the muscles to move well, keep stress off the hip and deal well with any blood clot issues.

A few questions:

• What was prescribed for blood clots? I had aspirin and TEDs socks, but others have had injections of anti coagulants.
  • Are you doing Physical Therapy?
  • Are you icing to deal with any now and future swelling?

really glad you're both doing and feeling well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
Ron,

You're at WORK on day 6 post-op?

Are you related to Wolverine, the X-man?

Honestly, that's unbelievable.  Congrats!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »
Ron, ditto. At six days I was really swollen and could not sit upright because of it. Amazing.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

ronr

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »
Yes...I went to work 6 days after surgery.  I am in sales but like all salesmen, have office work I always behind on.  I only worked from 7 am until 1:30 pm that first day.  I did not go in the next day.  I am back at work today, but will probably not make the entire day. 
For blood clots, I was sent home with those socks that squeeze you legs and I am on asprin.  Physical therapy came by 2 days after I got home and worked with me.  She was impressed with my progress and now calls to check on me instead of coming by.  One thing Dr. Barrack said was that I could not walk to much, but to listen to my body.  I am walking a lot.  I thing this, along with ice, has helped keep the swelling down.  The reason I left work early monday, was because of swelling.  Today will be because of fatigue.
As I stated in my original post, I do not know why my recovery is so fast with regard to being mobile, but I contribute it to my doctor.  I have always been an athlete.  Until my hip got to the point that I could not race anymore, I raced Xterra and adventure races.  I am use to pushing myself, even when it is not comfortable.  When I left the hospital, I asked the doctor what I absolutely could not do and what could I do.  I do not do the things he said I couldn't, but I spend a lot of time doing the things he said I could...Walking.  I try to do as my doctor and pt said, "listen to your body".

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »
Glad that your recovery is going so well, Ron.  Since you're feeling so well you have to watch that you don't over do things.  If you do, don't worry it's happened to all of us, just back off, rest up and start over.  You'll do great

Good luck to you!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 05:22:56 PM »
Ron, Welcome and congrats, an amazing story.

Take Pat and Hern's comments to heart, and try to remember it's a marathon, and you've been through a serious procedure and wiil need time to heal.  Now 2 weeks after my 2nd BHR, and doing pretty well.

Is your incision on the side of your hip, (anterio-lateral) or more towards the rear of your hip?  Curious to know given the different restrictions you seem to be under with your BHR.

Best regards for continued great recovery,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

ronr

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
My incision goes up the side of my leg, behind my pants seam for about 6 to 8 inches.  It then turns 90 degrees and goes across my butt cheek for another 4 to 6 inches.  I have read where most peoples incision is about 6 to 8 inches long, mine is about 12 inches.  I use 2 - 4x10 island dressings to cover my incision....43 staples.  I get them out Tuesday.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »
Good job going back to work with the staples still in.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

WTW15

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
I am 5'6" and have at least an 8" scar in a similar design as yours.  The staples made it look like train tracks.  I thought of a locomotive with a few cars and a caboose tattoo......lol  It is getting lighter and less stiff, still massaging the heck out of it.  Congrats on the fast healing and return to work. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat