+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can you eventually return to full-court basketball after hip resurfacing?  (Read 3318 times)

zorbaman

Thanks to Dr. Joe Hood of Austin Texas who steered me to this group. Who of you have or know someone who resumed basketball full court once recovered from Hip Resurfacing? Any of you have great success with U.S. doctor as I have Anthem Blue Cross of California PPO. I'm going to check with them about what type of coverage will be provided and I'm glad it's a PPO and not HMO.

Your comments will be deeply appreciated.

Best,

Tom Katsis aka zorbaman

Dannywayoflife

Hay Tom I don't know about basket ball but there are plenty of hippies out there who do far more demanding things that basket ball post op. I think the secret lies in being patient and waiting the full 12 months before resuming impact
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

Hey Tom, plenty of hippies (single and bi) have returned to hoops. I think I will eventually, but targeting soccer and Tae Kwon Do first.

Here's one discussion about some of us who have returned to basketball at all levels of competition:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1195.0

I think if you wait until the proper time, it's all possible. Just be sure you're in the right place with your body.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tim Bratten

When I was in Gent (Belgium) recently there was an American there getting resurfaced who told me his Blue Cross was paying for the surgery with Dr. De Smet. So if you wanna play basketball again this might be a good option. I only mention this because I was personally very impressed with the treatment I received from De Smet and because this particular thread showed up inside the zone dedicated to comments about him.     
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:17:30 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

einreb

Who of you have or know someone who resumed basketball full court once recovered from Hip Resurfacing?

I started playing at about 8 months post op.  I had absolutely no issues with my hip playing basketball.

However, because the muscles were a bit weak, I way overcompensated to my non-operated leg and pulled muscles and had all sort of minor injuries not related to my hip.

In hindsight, I should have done more full body recovery/training prior to hitting the courts and taken it a bit easier as I started out.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Re: Powerplate Use by BilateralRecerf
April 21, 2024, 10:34:10 AM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear