+-

Author Topic: Yet more rubish about MOM in the news!  (Read 1653 times)

Dannywayoflife

Yet more rubish about MOM in the news!
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »
Just turned on the itv lunch time news to see yet more crap about MOM! I for one am getting sick of hearing all about the failure of a few poorly designed and poorly implanted devices. And how these failures are now putting in jeopardy MOM devices for other people. The ASR had something like a 14% failure rate but the way the news portrays the issue you'd be forgiven for thinking that you have a 50/50 chance of dying a terrible death from having a MOM device! Why don't the news put THR story of the thousands of patients who have there life's back thanks to a great result? Or the lady who's HR has lasted 63 years or Mcminns early patients who have had 20+ years from there HR's?!!
Sorry rant over.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Yet more rubish about MOM in the news!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »
Amen!   :D

Thanks for the excellent insight and opinion on the negative press media slur.

Pat
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:11:42 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
It's really starting to worry me that this will put off potential good candidates for both HR and a MOM THR. The news here is already saying surgeons are now being advised against using MOM. how can they put such tripe out there! As far as I can see app of the joint registers show that devices like the BHR have a great retention rate better than THRs and with far more functionality! It's certainly not suitable for everyone but if your a good candidate with a good surgeon then the figures show you will have a great result! Why do the media have to ty to slur something that in the right hands can be so so positive?
As far as I'm aware the vitalium alloy has more data behind it than ANY other material used for joint replacement!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

AlanN

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
It's really starting to worry me that this will put off potential good candidates for both HR and a MOM THR. The news here is already saying surgeons are now being advised against using MOM. how can they put such tripe out there! As far as I can see app of the joint registers show that devices like the BHR have a great retention rate better than THRs and with far more functionality! It's certainly not suitable for everyone but if your a good candidate with a good surgeon then the figures show you will have a great result! Why do the media have to ty to slur something that in the right hands can be so so positive?
As far as I'm aware the vitalium alloy has more data behind it than ANY other material used for joint replacement!

With you 100%.
I saw this report too and there was no mention of what type of device or whether it was correctly implanted.

As for the muppet from the Royal Colledge of Orthopiedics and his stupid "statistics" and his call for "all these devices to be banned"...I'm lucky I still have a TV it made me that mad!

Typical UK press sensationalism and bandwagon-jumping.
Why the hell, if they have to run a story such as this that could severely affect someones LIFE can they not just correctly report the actuall facts!?!?!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

ZAP

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »
The media does this for EVERY topic.  Politics, foreign affairs, healthcare, drugs, wars, etc.  What  people have to understand is the Media is a corporation. Its number one priority is to protect the interest of the corporation for profit. Thats it.
There could be a number of reason why they did this to MOM.  9 out of 10 times its as simple as helping competition. Company A says to Company B, to squash company C or you wont get any more financial support from us.

Good news, is most people will do a ton of research before making such a major choice in there lives.

wriggra

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
Couldn't agree more. I am still getting used to the idea of having the surgery and then someone at work asked if I'd seen the news. Even though I researched MoM BHRs it made me think twice!

Grant

johnd_emd

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
Yeah, it's nice to live in a country where some 24 yr old journalist can come out and write anything he wants; regardless of whether it's accurate or not.  Sometimes it makes me wonder if there's a plot to publishing misinformation????  Seems more and more journalistic material is nothing more than misinformation at best. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats