+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Durom cup.  (Read 4353 times)

daylily

Durom cup.
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:44:48 PM »
Hi all, hope you are all as well as can be expected.

Just a quick question. I have just seen the report from the surgeon who did my THR revision from BHR.
He states that the Durom cup was loose and was 'only spot welded in one place'. He said the cup was so loose it hardly needed any effort to get it out. Would that be why I needed a bone graft on the outside edge?
Oops, more than one question here!!!!!!!
Has anyone any idea what that means? Is it possibly the cause of all my problems with the BHR?
Thanks for reading this
Anne
xx take care all xx

hernanu

Re: Durom cup.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »
By that, did he mean the actual metal in the cup, or the bone to cup connection? I would think the latter, Anne, so the problem may have been that the bone itself did not connect correctly to the cup.

As I've heard, the durom cup was one that was recalled, in the US it was only used on THRs, but apparently elsewhere it was also used in HRs. The recall reason was the improper bonding of the cup to the bone.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:57:50 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

daylily

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
hi, thanks for swift reply Hernan, that would appear to be what was wrong.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about all the different componants in THR's and re-surfacings.
Do you have any idea when exactly the durom cup was recalled? My op was in Feb. 2007.
anne

Neild5

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »
When you say a revision from a BHR are you meaning you had a hip resurfacing or a Birmingham hip resurfacing?  The Durom cup was made by Zimmer and had issues with the bone fixation mostly in the US where the titanium coating is different.  However in the US the Durom cup was not approved for resurfacing just THR.

Hi all, hope you are all as well as can be expected.

Just a quick question. I have just seen the report from the surgeon who did my THR revision from BHR.
He states that the Durom cup was loose and was 'only spot welded in one place'. He said the cup was so loose it hardly needed any effort to get it out. Would that be why I needed a bone graft on the outside edge?
Oops, more than one question here!!!!!!!
Has anyone any idea what that means? Is it possibly the cause of all my problems with the BHR?
Thanks for reading this
Anne
xx take care all xx
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

daylily

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »
Hi Neild,

I was told I had a Birmingham re-surfacing  ( all the information I was given at the time was about the birmingham hip resurface) and then when I had my revision operation, September last year, they found out from the BHR operation notes that the cup was a Durom.
To be honest I do not understand it all and the more they tell me the more confused I am.
I thought the Birmingham re-surface was both componants, cup and ball bit, now they say it was a Durom cup, sounds like they played 'mix and match' with my hip bits and pieces at the moment.
Do you know if the Durom cup was approved for hip re-surfacing in Britain?
anne

Neild5

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »
From what I can see yes, Zimmer has a Durom resurfacing system that is/was approved in the UK.  Given the different manufacturing methods on the metallurgy  I would not think the doctor would have mixed brands of components.  The carbides are claimed to be 8 times smaller in the forged Durom vs the as-cast BHR system.  This would have caused accelerated wear, not a loose cup.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »
Hi

If you had a Durom cup, then you did not really have a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Device.  To have a BHR, you must have both the acetabular cup and femur cap of the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Device.  So you had some other product, not a full BHR.  The BHR is only FDA approved with the BHR cup and BHR cap - not approved for use any other way.  So somebody somewhere is not telling you what you had. Maybe they said it was similar to a BHR.  If the records say you have a BHR and ended up with a Durom Cup, then I would be complaining.  Smith & Nephew do not provide a Durom cup with a BHR cap - not FDA approved.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

daylily

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:03:29 AM »
Thanks Pat, that was my understanding of the BHR.
It's definately a Durom cup though, my present surgeon had to make enquiries as they did not put me on the joint replacement
offical list which is where the componants would have been listed. He had to go back to the operation notes to find out what it was.

It all sounds very inefficient to me.
Well now I have some more questions for all concerned.
Take care
anne

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
hi, thanks for swift reply Hernan, that would appear to be what was wrong.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about all the different componants in THR's and re-surfacings.
Do you have any idea when exactly the durom cup was recalled? My op was in Feb. 2007.
anne

Believe the recall was in July of 2008, Anne.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
Anne

A quick note to tell you that even though I made the point that I don't feel you received a BHR based on the information you posted, that has nothing to do with me not understanding how difficult your situation was and revision was.  I am sorry you had to go thru that and I hope you heal quickly and finally get a pain free life back again. I didn't mean to sound uncaring during my statement about your cup.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
Anne,
        It sounds to me like you were lied to at the time of your initail surgery. And also I believe it's highly likely that the surgeon didnt do his job as he should. If I were you I would be speaking to a medical solicitor and be seeking compensation.
Danny 
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

daylily

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
No offence taken Pat, I understood what you were saying and I am happy to report being pain free now, after 7 long years.
Anne

A quick note to tell you that even though I made the point that I don't feel you received a BHR based on the information you posted, that has nothing to do with me not understanding how difficult your situation was and revision was.  I am sorry you had to go thru that and I hope you heal quickly and finally get a pain free life back again. I didn't mean to sound uncaring during my statement about your cup.

Pat

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal