+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Latest news on BHR from my surgeon last week. (Canada)  (Read 3178 times)

oxley

Latest news on BHR from my surgeon last week. (Canada)
« on: March 13, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »
Well I finally got in to see my surgeon! I had my left BHR 2.5 years ago and want to get my right hip done now. I am 43 yrs old, female. I was shocked by the latest stats that surgeons are stearing away from the Birmingham due to medal reactions in female patients. They advised me not to have another one done. This is due to the device being too large for a womans bone structure and medal ions causing a reaction and having to take it out. I am not prepared to have a total hip replacement at my age so going ahead with a second BHR. I would like to hear from anyone who has had both hips done especially woman.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Latest news on BHR from my surgeon last week. (Canada)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
I don't know why these surgeons keep quoting this negative stuff.  They are correct that smaller women don't have as good of retention rate, but it is still decent.

If you haven't had problems in 2 1/2 years, why would you have problems now?  I would find a surgeon that does a lot of resurfacings and get some input from them.  Many of these surgeons that haven't done many hundreds to thousands are backing away.  It takes a lot of experience to place the components properly and they just don't want to keep doing them - in my opinion. 

so you don't have many good choices left except ceramic THR.  You can't even have a MOM THR which is what I would want if I needed my second hip done if I could not have a BHR again.

I would not be frightened away from hip resurfacing - I would just walk away from this particular surgeon if it were me.  Of course, it is up to you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

johnd_emd

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »
I hadn't heard anything about the device "being too big for women's bones".  But, I have heard and read information about women's bone structures not being suited to hip resurfacing due to the usual early onset of osteoporosis and lack of bone density in women in comparison to men.   Seems more and more of some of the best surgeons are becoming more reluctant to do women, especially smaller women.  As far as "Stats" I really wonder were they are getting the "Stats"? 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

oxley

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »
I think I am going to take my chances. My surgeon is one of the best in Canada and he did a really good job on the last one. I may go to my doctor and see if they can test my kidneys and blood to see just how much medal ions are actually present. I think the stats are coming from the US, as they obviously do more than Canada. Perhaps in 10 years they will come up with something better and I will still have my bones and have more options.

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »
I'm 5'1 and 126 pounds and my doctor did not have concerns.  Women are harder to get a good fit because they have smaller bones.  My surgeon specializes in doing BHR in women.  You need to find a good surgeon that is experienced.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Jeremy76761

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »

Any hints as to your surgeon in Canada? I was dx by Dr. Schemitz last year and while he offered a resurfacing at that time (believe he uses the BHR) he also said one should never run on one and he made no promises as to longevity saying could last 2-3 years or longer. A fine surgeon but not the degree of confidence an athlete needs. Better to shop.

oxley

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »
Dr Werle in Calgary. I got the impression that politics were part of the converstation. The difference between Canada and US are health care. In Canada we dont pay so perhaps overhead is not wanting to encourage a surgery without an excellent track record in the event the govt may have to pay for a second surgery in a short period of time. Surgeons who dont have their own private practice have to advise according to their boss. When I told Dr Werle I wanted the BHR anyhow I saw a smile so I know he agreed with my decision. Politics and $$$ in my opinion are at play here. I have had great success with my left hip so I am going to go ahead with the right one.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
Good news, nice to have the experience to push for it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

johnd_emd

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
And just think, obook a took a dooky wants our medical system to be just like Canada's.  I better get my other hip done SOON!!!
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Jeremy76761

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »

I, for one, intend to go outside the universal Canadian healthcare system for hip resurfacing. But I would never want to suggest that a completely private system would be better. There's a reason why no political party in Canada would even suggest abondoning universal healthcare-- nobody would vote for them. 90% of the Canadian population knows our universal system is preferrable to the fully private alternative.  A lot of people cannot afford $10,000 or $20,000 for a resurfacing but fortunately are still able to get a resurfacing in Canada through their tax dollars. We do have extreme waitlists but this has more to do with massive population growth as a result of immigration.

What we do need, is a second tier system where private services and insurance is more widely available as a choice, in addition to the universal one. But I guess in a way we already do -- just have to go to the States or further abroad for it.

My 2 cents.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal