+-

Author Topic: Hip Study: Smith & Nephew touts study results for new metal-on-metal implant  (Read 1200 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
March 13, 2012 by MassDevice staff

http://www.massdevice.com/news/hip-study-smith-nephew-touts-study-results-new-metal-metal-implants

Smith & Nephew unveils the results of its FDA-requested metal-on-metal hip resurfacing implant study, finding that 99% of participants were either satisfied or extremely satisfied with their implants at 10 years.

British orthopedic titan Smith & Nephew (NYSE:SNN) touted the results of a 10-year study of its metal-on-metal hip resurfacing implants, hoping to differentiate its implants from the high-profile recall of rival DePuy's ASR device.

Smith & Nephew, one of the largest metal-on-metal hip implant makers, is looking to limit the collateral damage to its Birmingham hip resurfacing system from the Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) subsidiary's ASR recall. J&J is facing down a slew of patient injury lawsuits, not to mention scientists warning of possible toxicity and bone destruction related to the implants and researchers urging the FDA to ban the devices entirely.

Smith & Nephew's latest data, from a study it ran at the request of the FDA, found that 99% of the U.K. 400 patients followed were either satisfied or extremely satisfied with their Birmingham hip after 10 years, according to a press release.

"The fact is that the BHR hip is not like other metal-on-metal hip implants," global hip franchise senior vice president John Soto said in prepared remarks. "It really is in a class all its own it's safe and effective, and is the best choice for the right patient."

The headline-making J&J recall has drawn other artificial hip makers into the fire, including including Biomet Inc., Stryker Corp. (NYSE:SYK) and Zimmer Holdings Inc. (NYSE:ZMH), all of which were asked by the FDA to run post-market studies of their hip replacements.

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

It's about time that smith and nephew went on the offensive!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hipnhop

I am going to approach them about sponsorship for my next race.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Dannywayoflife

That's not a bad idea. I may do so too if I ever manage to get fit enough to fight again.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

mslendzion

Hi Pat, thanks for posting this.  We need more positive reinforcement ato counter the negative press.  I amost opted out of the BHR due to some of the press.  I'm glad I found this site, got the real story, and made the right decision.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal