+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: infection incision  (Read 2263 times)

midiowa

infection incision
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
on both ends of my incision my sutchers have pushed up from inside,  they were suppose to dissolve but havent, the other 8" of incision looks great,  but infection now, went to doc gave antibiotic meds, hope this is just scab healing infection only.  this brings me to the question of why most docs outside states use staples is this why?

Dannywayoflife

Re: infection incision
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:46:12 PM »
S##t I hope the Antibiotics get this solved for you! Not sure why we use staples over here I doubt that the method of closure has anything to do with infection rates but I may be wrong!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Neild5

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
My hips were done by 2 different doctors, the one who did the first retired but at the same hospital in Chicago.  Both used staples (that was easy!)  ;D, the second one also glued the incision. 
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

John C

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »
I have read one study that claimed that staples carried an increase in the risk of infection over stitches, though they are probably the fastest and easiest way to close. My thought is that glueing, without staples or stitches which leave penetrations through the skin, would be the safest way, and is what my doc used.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
Midiowa, hope it clears up for you soon.  Best wishes.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
I remember having several MASSIVE IV doses of antibiotics I'm assuming to stop this sort of thing from happening. Did you have large doses of anti b's in the hospital brad?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

midiowa

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
ya danny had iv anti in hospital, iam gonna back it down a little for a while,maybe to much on incision before healed enough.

johnd_emd

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »
Each doctor has their own protocol.  I had Dr. Rector do my surgery.  They had me use an antibiotic wipe several days before surgery, they did it again on the surgery date, along with all the normal prep pre-op.  His technique of closing is to use sutures for all subcutaneous levels, then on the skin level glues the skin together.  I'm 6 weeks post op and it looks like someone took a red, fine point sharpee pen and made a 7" line along my hip.  It's unbelievable!!!  They told me they've had a zero percent infection rate since they started having patients do the antibiotic wipes before surgery. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
I did the same, John - the wipes, then was cleaned again before surgery both times.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anniee

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
Dr. Gross has the nurse use antiseptic swabs in the area pre-op, then they clean with them again in the operating room before surgery (of course, I don't remember that part), and the skin incision is glued.  The pre-op nurses told me Dr. Gross is the only doctor at that hospital that does the swabbing twice, to make sure there are no infections. 

Hope yours clears up quickly!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

mslendzion

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
I was advised to shower with Hibiclens chlorhexidine gluconate 2 days prior to surgery, sleep in clean sheets surgery eve, then shower again the morning of the surgery with Hibiclens chlorhexidine gluconate leaving a coat on the side of my hip.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat