+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Greetings from the other side!  (Read 5028 times)

triathlete98

Greetings from the other side!
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
Hello all!  Day four post op of right BHR.  Whoa did my leg swell.  Woke up dr said everything went well and sent me home with no restrictions.  Started using a cane around the house but one crutch for longer walks.  Had my first pt session. I have to say its a little more painful then I expected but my ache is gone :) :). Just need to get rid of the swelling now.  Check in again in a few days.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Greetings from the other side!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »
Congrats, Tri !  Glad you're doing well.

Take your pain meds....you'll not need them for long, but no need to deal with pain at all.

Good luck with your recovery.  You'll do great.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

johnd_emd

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Congrats.  Glad all went well.  Gotta stand by my fellow triathletes!!!!  Hope your recovery goes perfect as well.
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:28:42 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the other side! The soreness is not something easy, but it goes, and like you said, the OA pain is gone!

Ice and ice again - rest, be patient and you'll be much better in due time.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »
Awesome mate! Just remember not to try and rush back and take your time it will pay dividends in the end!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

midiowa

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »
Congrats! start of a new you on the way...   2-3 bathroom visits a night and that leg will be back normal soon.LOL , memories ;D

mslendzion

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
I had significant swelling too. It's shocking. I questioned if it was even my leg. The swelling got worse for me after the first week. My home nurse said it would drop to the foot before it starts to go away. She was right. I was swollen for almost 3 weeks. My knee was the size of a cantaloupe, no kidding. Hope you have a better go.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

WTW15

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
Congrats!!!!  Take the meds, you won't need them for long.  At 8 wks I am off all but tylenol.  But I used tramadol and tylenol3 up until last week here and there, as needed.  But this week I can truly say I don't need them.  I wanted to and tried to give them up earlier but it just wasn't for time for me.  Now it is.  You'll be there. 
Again, congrats!!! 
 Good to be on the other side! 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

David

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 04:06:09 AM »
Congats & ice, ice, ice!
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 04:36:22 AM »

"WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE TRIATHELTE98"

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
I don't think I can beat B.I.L.L.s welcome, but congratuations on the new hip.  Just take it easy for awhile and be bored - your body will love it while it heals.  Stay in touch and Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

maxx6789

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Hello all!  Day four post op of right BHR.  Whoa did my leg swell.  Woke up dr said everything went well and sent me home with no restrictions.  Started using a cane around the house but one crutch for longer walks.  Had my first pt session. I have to say its a little more painful then I expected but my ache is gone :) :). Just need to get rid of the swelling now.  Check in again in a few days.

so happy for you and your fast recovery (well, minus the swelling which usually goes away fairly quickly). can i ask ... who was your doctor and what surgical technique did they use? my doctor advised "first 3 weeks on two crutches" period. and "1 crutch or cane for weeks 4 to 6" ... which seems to be fairly average from others. for me, after 6 weeks, i was walking without assistance and without pain so that was as good as i could have ever hoped for.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

triathlete98

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »
thanks everyone for the well wishes.  the swelling is pretty intense.  Everytime I move it feels like a charlie horse in my quads..lol.  My Dr. is B. Domb out of Hinsdale Orthopedics.  He said no restritions and get on that leg asap.  Dr. Della Valle wouldn't do my surgery a year ago.  Here is some interesting news though.  I had a microfracture that according to Dr. Domb might have lasted 6 months.  He also said that my transplant sight failed completely and that was done less then a year ago.  So for those interested in Arthroscopic sugery, it doesn't paint a good picture at least it didn't in my case. 

maxx6789

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »
that's interesting ... my dr is dr della valle and my experience with him has been excellent. another dr in dr. bomb's group wouldn't do a hip resurfacing for me (dr daley). dr daley offered me a total hip replacement and said that i would be able to ride a bike but no snowboarding and no surfing and that did not sound like a viable option to me.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

blkhank

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »
I was weigh pre- op, three days later I was weight when I entered rehap and I was 20lbs heavier.I about fell off the scale.I tried to put on pair of pajamas  pants that I had bought larger and couldn't get them pass my knee. 7 days later  when I left rehap it was about back to normal, so you will be fine.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 06:49:26 AM »
Whoa!  I was thinking about you on the 14th.  I remembered it because that was the day I went to the hand doctor for my carpal tunnel.  No surgery on that for now; cortisone for now to see how it works, now that I'm no longer working.

The swelling will go down.  As David has said; ice, ice, ice!  I still do almost every afternoon.  It just feels good.

Now for the hardest part;  patience, patience, patience!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

triathlete98

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »
that's interesting ... my dr is dr della valle and my experience with him has been excellent. another dr in dr. bomb's group wouldn't do a hip resurfacing for me (dr daley). dr daley offered me a total hip replacement and said that i would be able to ride a bike but no snowboarding and no surfing and that did not sound like a viable option to me.

I is amazing what you expericence from one Dr to the next.  Dr. Daley would not do the BHR either.  I also visited Dr. LaRue who pushed me on to dr. domb.  I guess it just depends on their moods lol.

hipnhop

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
Welcome to Hiipydom.  It gets better everyday.  Notice the small gains and you will be amazed how quickly the body recovers. I am six weeks post op and no cane, at gym, on bike, swimming 3000-5000 yards per workout and doing mad PT work with my trainer.  No pain at all except soreness when I do too much.  I get rest and do it again. I am so glad you got it done and get ready to resume your life. I got a Sprint Tri in May. Going to walk the run but I'm gonna get it done.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat