+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Groin Pain...what can it be??  (Read 4291 times)

mountaingoat

Groin Pain...what can it be??
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Hi All,
 Haven't posted in a couple of weeks. I'll be 8 weeks out on Monday. I'm doing ok generally but noticing a lot more muscle pain now that I've gotten off crutches and have ramped up the walking. I totally overdid it today by accident...I did a loop that I thought was much shorter and ended up going about 3-3.5 miles and am paying for it.

My question, though, is not related to the walk. A few days I started experiencing groin pain in my right hip which feels differently than the other pain I've had which has generally seemed superficial. This new groin pain doesn't feel like the psoas and feels deep. I have to say it feels a bit like the OA pain I would get in the hip before surgery. I had a brief episode of groin pain in my other hip last week but it was clearly a tight psoas as I could feel it get better with rest, ice and self-massage. This groin pain I now have in the other hip just doesn't feel like muscle. In the back of my head I have this horrid fear that when I had an MRI earlier this week for my shoulder something could have happened to loosen the cup (i.e, from the high-res magnet). They assured me over and over that all orthopedic devices are fine to go through an MRI at about a month or 5 weeks so maybe I should have waited another few weeks...but a quick internet search seemed to reveal that MRI was fine for resurfacing.

I guess my concern is what can groin pain be other than something wrong? It really doesn't feel muscular.

Thanks,
Amy

obxpelican

Re: Groin Pain...what can it be??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »
Cups and femoral implants are all safe from what I understand in an MRI.  Had it been a ferous metal you would have still been stuck on the magnet of the MRI.

Groin pain is not all that uncommon, sometimes muscle pain can feel really deep too.

8 Weeks your cup should have had some bone ingrowth.

Take a few days off the workouts, in fact ice it and relax the next couple of days and see how it feels.  If you get a clunking feeling with real sharp pain after all the rest it might be a good time to push for a script for an x-ray.

A pain here and there is nothing to be concerned with, your body is still healing a lot.

Chuck
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:18:48 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

23109VC

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:16:06 AM »
I'm one year post op.

When I was in the first few months post op period =- I had a lot of weird pains and sensations.  I went though a period where I had a weird pain in my knee... then I had a weird pain in my butt..  I can't recall if I had groin pain.. but I do know that there were a few periods where I OVERDID it... and I ended up having "new" pains... or recurrence of pains that had gone away.

each time I would be nervous.. and think I hurt something.. and wonder if I caused some kind of irreparable damage....  there was one time where about 6 weeks I went to Disneyland...  maybe a bad idea but I wanted to go because a bunch of family were in town and they were all going. i did take it easy.. took my cane even... even though I was off it... but by the end of the day I know I walked WAY WAY too far. I never went on any hard core rides.. but in retrospect it was too much too soon.

my hip started hurting byh the end of the day..   at 6 weeks . i was feeling GREAT.. adn then after this trip.. I had pain deep in my buttocks... and it didn't go away... I was really nervous.  it took almost 2 weeks for it to be gone.. but it did go away.

fast forward to today.. I'm great.  no pain.. my operated hip IS better than my non operated hip..  I feel like a million dollars...

my advice is that if YOU think it's worrisome - call your doctor, get an xray.. an MRI.. whatever.  (you CAN do an MRI with a hip impalnt.. I had one already to examine my other hip recently)... so don't worry about the MRI doing anytyhing..   but talk to your doctor and follow their advice.

BUT.. don't freak out over every little pain you get.  you will get them, and they will go away.  I think the implant is so jammed on our bones.. that to knock it loose you'd need to jump off your roof...  :)  the soft tissue can get agitated...  even though we feel great shortly after surgery.. all those tissues inside are healing.. and in reality.. it probably takes 6-12 montsh to really be fully healed up.... so take it easy.  you have yhour whole life to push it.. take it easy in the beginning and don't let the aches/pains of the healing process panic you.

i found  my own healing process to be an up/down process.  at tiems I was feeling better...then i'd do too muhc and take a short setback.. but i'd recover.. overall.. it's all uphill.. but you will have ups/downs along the way... keep that in the back of your mind and don't panic about the pains or soreness... 

good luck!!!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »
     I have had groin pain a few times almost always after pushing it some.  Given the weakness in some of the muscles and connective tissue, I think its just me waking those things up when I get overly ambitious.  I don't think it matters how far along you are, if you push it something will start to hurt.  The difference is that lots of stuff got bent, cut and replaced during the surgery and until you use it you don't know how it will do.  Mine has gone away after a few days rest each time, so I think it will eventually disappear when I get everything back up to speed.  Good luck, hope its like it sounds...just healing.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

zeke

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »
I'm going my 8th week of recovery. I have groin pain at night while I sleeping it wakes me up, so I move my legs around rub the area and it will go away for an hour or two then I will have the same pain again. I also have pain right around my incision at night and I do the samething. I don't sleep much anymore hopefully that will change before I return to work..LOL. I think it's from all the activity of daily life...PT..working out..cooking...cleaning ect...

Zeke

mslendzion

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
I still have groin pain on occasion.  I had really bad pain for the past few days in my hip, not sure why, my incision is really sore too.  It seems these odd spurts of pain come and go for no real reason.  I understand, it can be scary and concerning.  I keep thinking here it comes, I'm having an allergic reaction to the metals. 
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

zeke

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:25:21 PM »
Just got home from the doctors and everything looks great. He told me the groin pain will be around for a couple more months. I can start golfing and doing step aerobics when I'm ready. The one bad thing I was hoping to get rid of was some of the 90 degree restrictions, like bending, sleeping with pillows etc...

I went for a long walk this morning and I'm paying the price tonight with groin pain and pain near my incision. I guess it's just going to be something that comes and goes with anything new that I do until the hip is all healed. I wonder what it's going to be like after I go to the range next week?

I hope everyone starts to feel great soon...even though I have some problems here and there I'm still so happy I had this done...

Zeke

bamahip

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:26 PM »
I am new to this forum.  I am 8 weeks post op, BHR left hip.  I am having groin pain and was wondering if there was a problem.  After reading these post my mind is at ease.

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:54:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum, 'bama. I think it happens, will get better as the muscles get stronger and the hip heals. Just back off when your body lets you know and you should be fine. If you get concerned, just talk to your doctor, that's what they're there for.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat