+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crutches  (Read 1940 times)

Jbennett

Crutches
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
Am I hurting anything by not using crutches around the house sometimes? I'm 4 days post op and I find them more trouble than they are worth for short spaces within the house say from the bed to bathroom. I actually feel safer not using them at all on the stairs. Especially going down. I just go slow and feel stable enough. The only potential negative I can think of is maybe I'm not helping my gait. I wonder if I should just go ahead and transition to a cane now or force myself to use crutches a few more days?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:19:31 PM by Jbennett »
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

johnd_emd

Re: Crutches
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »
I used one crutch for the first couple days, then went straight to a cane.  That crutch was SCARY around the stairs!!!!  I was so much more comfortable using a cane.  Plus, a cane allows you to move more naturally and with a more normal gait. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Jbennett

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
Wifes going to pick me up one of her late grandfathers canes from her grandmothers house this afternoon. After just going for a walk I'm sure two crutches are definitely not needed. My gait was way better using just one and I bet even better if I used a cane.

johnd_emd

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
Yeah, I think you'll like the cane much better.  If you're comfortable putting most of your weight on the operated side you'll be fine.  Just remember to use the cane on the opposite side of your operated side. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »
I think you're good with whatever works well for you. The important thing is your gait. If a cane is good, then go with that. A crutch was my weapon of choice, but whatever gets you there...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:12:27 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

WTW15

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
I was at the cane by about 10 days.  Felt a lot more stable and safe, as you mention.  My dr was OK with that when I walked in for my 2 wk appt.  Actually - impressed  ;D  Her instructions were "weight bearing as tolerated" so that wasn't an issue for me. 

At 7 wks, I still used it when walking on slippery surfaces - we had to walk up to the finish arena for my daughter's ski races.  It was not only for the slip-potential, but also to fend of way-ward skiers and boarders! LOL  But at about 4 wks, I'd even ditched the cane for getting around the house. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:45:57 AM »
I stopped Crutches after one week. Cane is so much easier. 
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
I only used two crutches for one night when I went to my son's band concert (day 2 post op).  Mostly to keep people away from the leg.  One crutch was much better for maybe four days, then went to the cane.  If you're allowed to put weight on it as tolerated, then do which one feels best.

I agree, the crutches around the house are a pain.  Try just one (opposite the operated leg, of course) until you get the cane.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Jbennett

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
I think I'm a one crutch guy.  I now have two canes from Ellie's  grandfather and I just don't line them. They just don't feel stable and my gait is nowhere near as smoot or fast as with one crutch. On the other hand her grandfather was a stylish gent. Theses are some pretty sweet looking canes. Maybe I can learn how to spin them around and tip my hat with them or something so they don't go to waste.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat