+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First run since surgery - the slug enters the race  (Read 3282 times)

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
First run since surgery - the slug enters the race
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
     Spent the weekend celebrating my new hip with a 1 mile run.  It is the fourth run actually, but wanted to be able to run a complete mile with no breaks on the anniversary of my last race last year.
     The Shamrock marathon weekend in Virginia Beach has several additional races that make it a fun weekend for the whole family.  On Saturday they do an 8K and 1 mile run for elementary school kids that benefits the Operation Smile organization.  On Sunday the half and full marathons. 
     Last year on this weekend I ran with my twin 7 year old girls in their mile race and proudly watched them haul in 8 minute miles.  I ran a decent half the next day - and that was the day my hip gave up.  Went from feeling tight, to feeling tighter and went downhill from there.  The next 8 months was an unbearable period of spasms, pain, massage, steroids, PT with no relief until Dr. Gross and the HR last fall.
     So today I completed my promise to my kids to run with them again and we cranked out a mile this morning.  Not as fast as their run yesterday, but they pulled me through a 9:10 run.  It is amazing how such a slow, awkward run could feel like such an accomplishment.  On the one hand, I cannot believe how difficult it is after a lifetime of running, and on the other, cannot believe how far I've come with a metal device implanted in my hip.
     I will take it slow and continue to cross train and rest between run days and get back my strength the way I lost it...slow and steady!  Any tremors you all felt came from my feet by the way, so don't bother the seismic guys anymore!!

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

johnd_emd

Re: First run since surgery - the slug enters the race
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »
Congrats.  Not only great you were able to do it, but were able to do it with your kids; setting a great example of staying fit and productive as we age, even when life puts a few hurdles in front of us. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

David

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »
That rocks!  I remember going on a bike with my son the first time post-op @ a couple of weeks...very emotional...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

curt

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
     Thanks guys, even at 8 yrs old they knew how much this all means to me and pulled hard for me before surgery and during my recovery.  They are a pretty good incentive to stay mobile and active.  Keeps me smiling even when it gets tough.

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:49:25 PM »
Awesome curt!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
Sounds wonderful.  Good luck as you continue to run on your new hip! 
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »
Curt, that is just awesome. The time will get better, but your kids will remember this forever.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

BrianROC

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
Great job.  It will get less awkward the more you run.  I wouldn't say I run like I did before having my hips replaced, but I am greatful that I can run again. 

Arrojo

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 08:17:30 AM »
Good job, Curt.  I look forward to reading more about your running.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »
Way to go, curt, a continuous mile on your fourth run is great!

Please keep us posted with you progress.  I'll be coming up behind you in 44 more days.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

curt

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »
       I just returned from a flying trip and spent one of the nights in San Diego.  Used to be one of my favorite running spots down by the bay/harbor...
       Went a little too far before backing off and made myself sore.  Nothing deep, but the body and its muscles are not shy when they talk to you.  Making sure that I keep one or even two days between efforts.  I think its going to be a struggle to balance my memories with my toddler's hip muscles while I relearn to run.  Doing the run walk run walk method seems to have the best benefit for the least pain right now.  Time will tell.

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Aerial

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »
Fully agree with that particular running path in San Diego!  Love it!  Keep it up!

JEMacpherson

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
Curt - consider tossing away all of your old running styles and pick something completely new that minimizes impact.  I've been posting stuff on this site today about my new toes/mid foot strike and no heel impact ever and shorter quicker stride and level gliding run (I guess it's like the "barefoot" style people have talked about) but whatever works for you.  I did my first 5K exactly four months post-surgery and kept going, but never run two days in a row and listen very carefully to my hip all the time.  Sounds like you have a good attitude - any running at all is a true blessing and you don't want to screw that up!
Dr. Pritchett - Seattle
Right hip resurfaced on July 11, 2011
Born in 1953

Aerial

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 08:18:31 AM »
I have heard this running style is the way to go.  I am lucky because my natural style is more forefoot.  Looking forward to running soon.  Curt, how you you progressed in your running? I actually thought Dr. G. wanted a year before running.  I am hoping to go with the 6 month mark to start, being very reasonable.  I also doubt I will ever run two days in a row again.  I have done some run/walk intervals once a week for the past few weeks.  Never more that one minute of running.  I am just about 16 weeks now....two more months!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:20:05 AM by Aerial »

curt

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
     Dr. Gross had no restrictions after 6 months for me and merely advised to take all things slow and build up even slower (where have I heard and disregarded that advice before?!).  Anyway, I've overdone it twice now, once with too long a run, and once by adding other equipment exercises on top of a short run.  Didn't ice and woke up stiff and sore.  Sitting in the cockpit for 2-5 hours a flight is NOT helping when I've used the hip muscles hard the day before, but I am resting between days and the hip is doing great.  Weakness in the rotators continues to get my attention on the occasional stride that goes goofy, but that too is getting better with use.
     I am very attentive to limiting my impact and having a good turnover (staying between 170-180), but need restraint from going too fast or far.  Even my knees and other joints are having a time getting used to the running again, but I'm gettting there.  I don't know if I will ever want to get back into marathons, but I'm enjoying doing the little bits I'm doing now. Amazing the goals you set when walking normally was so impossible.

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Aerial

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »
Sounds good Curt!   No more marathons for me either. I just hope to be able to engage in a running fix a couple times a week.  Glad to hear that you don't have to wait a full year to run again.  Did you have a 6 month appointment?  My next appointment isn't until 10 months so I guess at 6 months I'll just go for it.  I'm not going to wait aound until 10 months.

curt

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 07:34:34 PM »
        No appt after six weeks until the 1 year.  I plan on visiting him down in Columbia for that one.  Simply did the exercises he gave us and started in at 6 months.  Take it slow and enjoy the opportunity to do so little, but to do it so well!!!  What a gift.

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz