+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: T Minus 7  (Read 3504 times)

stephen1254

T Minus 7
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
I just finished my final pre-op medical clearance and I'm set for surgery with Dr. Callander in SF one week from today. I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for their participation and encouragement, as this site is really an outstanding resource.

When I was originally diagnosed with OA last September it was more of an annoyance than anything else. I could see from my x-rays that there was little cartilage left, but I thought I had years before contemplating surgery. I began looking into the alternatives to a THR that my local doctor had recommended (he doesn't do resurfacings), just to educate myself, and remembered that I read something about Dr. Bob Arnot resurfacing his hips. A search lead me to this site.

As I looked through the stories of athletes that had resurfacing done, I was struck by John C.'s story - how he went back to skiing 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. That knocked me over and was hugely inspiring. I live in a ski town and would have put up with any amount of pain to keep skiing - my local Dr. suggested that a THR would curtail my skiing. The idea that there was an alternative that would allow me to keep skiing - and do everything else I enjoy doing put my mind at ease, even though I still thought I was years away from an operation.

By mid-November I was forced to stop running because of the pain. I was amazed at how quickly my hips had degenerated and I realized that I was looking at an operation sooner rather than later. I thought at the time it would be both hips and I started reading what bi-lats were going through. That was right at the time that Woodstock Hippy had both of his hips done and I really focused on not just his recovery but his attitude towards recovery.

I met with Dr. Callander in early January and he suggested that I just get the right hip done - I still had some life left in the left hip. We scheduled the surgery for March 27, the end of the ski season, although here in Lake Tahoe the season didn't really get going this year until late February.

As I continued to read the various stories and postings I began to identify with triathlete98, a fellow triathlete who was having his operation just 2 weeks before mine. His questions were my questions and up until my final medical this morning I was dreading the call that "there is something wrong with something and we have to postpone the operation." That is because an operation like this brings on such conflicting emotions.

I haven't been in the hospital since I was born, about a hundred years ago, and I'm still a bit dismayed that my hip has failed. On the other hand there is no question that I need the operation - I've been reduced to using a cane for about a month. I'm kind of dreading going in the hospital while at the same time really looking forward to getting this done and moving forward.

I've mentioned three people but there are probably closer to a hundred whose feedback on various issues have really inspired me. I think it's helped me put together in my mind the approach that I want to take to recovery. I will try to push things without really pushing things, and do my best to do everything I can while not overdoing it - although I am sure I will occasionally overdo it. I was going back and forth on when I might be able to run again - and I really want to run again - but I have decided to wait a full year before I take that up again. Rick Rubio's recent post cemented that in my mind.

I think it likely I will be able to do some hiking this summer - and Lake Tahoe in the summer is gorgeous - and I should be able to do some road biking. I see skiing as my first "impact" sport and I will be 9 months or so post-op before I take that up - and I'll be thinking about you, John C.

In the meantime we got 100"+ of snow this last week and I can barely walk after skiing as much of it as possible yesterday. I'm taking today off to recover and will try to get one more day in before I head to the city on Friday. I'll write again from the other side.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Spanielsal

Re: T Minus 7
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »
Good Luck Stephen.  it won't be long before you too are posting your post op stories. take it easy. 
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
Good post and great attitude, Stephen!

A short week until you start getting your life back; just use the time to prepare both mentally and in your living environment for the recuperation. We'll be here to lean on leading up to and through it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »
Great post, wlecome aboard the Hippy Express to pain-free running!

'' I will try to push things without really pushing things, and do my best to do everything I can while not overdoing it - although I am sure I will occasionally overdo it.''

That's the key.  You have to keep pushing yourself without overdoing it too much and when you do just back off and start over.

'' I was going back and forth on when I might be able to run again - and I really want to run again - but I have decided to wait a full year before I take that up again. Rick Rubio's recent post cemented that in my mind.''

That has me thinking also, but RR started running at 1 month.  I don't think anyone is ready at that time.   My main reason for the surgery was to return to running.  I go back to my Doc on May 7 and as long as my x-rays look good and he OK's it, I'll head straight for the running trail to see how it feels.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

OtterDriver

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »
Hello Stephen!

I'm a Callander Hippy from October 2011 and can tell you from my experience, the worst part was the week of self injected shots in the abdomen...and they weren't that bad.  You'll do just fine and should be out of there in a couple of days!

Congratulations on your decision.  Tell the good Doctor hello from his "Bush Pilot" in Alaska!

Bruce

stephen1254

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »
"That has me thinking also, but RR started running at 1 month.  I don't think anyone is ready at that time.   My main reason for the surgery was to return to running.  I go back to my Doc on May 7 and as long as my x-rays look good and he OK's it, I'll head straight for the running trail to see how it feels."

I'm sure you are looking forward to that. My Dr. has patients lightly jogging at 3-4 months so 6 months does seem reasonable, but I'm still on the fence. One thing RR mentioned was his 4 month x-ray did not show the bone growing into the cup. Is this something that you anticipate being able to see in the x-ray?

Part of my thinking had to do with our trails being covered in snow by mid-November, but this year our winter was so mild that there were only 3 days where my wife couldn't run. If we have another winter like that I may not be able to resist. On the other hand if we get hammered we can just break out the cross-country skis that much sooner!

Man it's fun to even talk about doing all this stuff again!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »
Good Luck Stephen.  Keep in touch when you can.  Looking forward to reading about your hiking this summer!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Luanna

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »
Best wishes for an excellent surgical experience and a speedy recovery!!!!
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

WTW15

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »
Good Luck Stephen. 
I'm hoping we get a late miracle snow in the Rockies so I can make a few turns in July ;-) 
We just left Mammoth before this last storm hit - glad we got out of there when we did cuz I'd been ticked off that I couldn't ski in all the freshies! 

This site is the best, for sure.  So much info and so reassuring going into the procedure as well as afterwards when you need info, but don't want the dr to think you are a freak.  LOL   
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

hipnhop

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:44:39 AM »
Good luck dude. just remember it gets better every day. Notice the small gains and you will be amazed.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »
One thing RR mentioned was his 4 month x-ray did not show the bone growing into the cup. Is this something that you anticipate being able to see in the x-ray?

I asked about that, and was told that you cannot see that in an x-ray.  Based on the x-rays I've seen, I can't see how anyone could tell that.

Lee Webb told me that they determine how well it is taking by comparing initial x-rays with follow up ones and looking for movement.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »
Stephen,

As ours hips get worse, we start to let go of pieces of our life. First it's little pieces, but later on we start to let go of the bigger pieces of our athletic lives. We've all experienced this loss.

Once your recovery starts to take hold, you get to go back and start picking up the pieces of your life that you had to drop. To make sure your recovery doesn't suffer any significant setback, start by picking up the smaller pieces first.

I am almost four months post op, a very slow and uneven recovery for an old sports junkie. However, I started by enjoying walking, then snow shoeing, and now I am doing some long trail rides on my hard tail. Next week I'm off to Costa Rica to pick up some water sports.

Best wishes to you on your journey to the other side. We Hippys are having an amazing amount of fun over hear and we look forward to you joining us. Watch out for Woodstock. He's not lime the rest of us.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

mslendzion

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:18:26 PM »
Boomer, what water sports will you be doing. I'm wondering if I will be able to ski and wakeboard this summer?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Boomer

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
I plan on snorkeling and boogie boarding in addition to walking in the ocean a lot. I still have range of motion issues that need to be worked out. I am hoping that extended periods of time in the warm water will help me out.
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

mslendzion

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
Sounds perfect. Enjoy!
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

OtterDriver

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 12:12:55 AM »
Hello again Stephen!

Hope you have a trouble free procedure tomorrow.  You'll probably be having fun with the big foam leg wedge about twenty four hours from now.  Are you staying at the Hotel Kabuki tonight?

Best wishes for your speedy recovery!

Bruce

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 09:39:12 AM »
Good luck today Stephen! Hope all goes well and let us know how it went when you can.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Arrojo

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
Hehm yeah skiing 8 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Wish I could do that.   :)  But best of luck, stephen, will look forward to hearing your progress.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
Stephen,

How did it go?  Hope all is well....looking forward to your post-op post.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

stephen1254

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »
I'm home.While it feels like I was kicked by a mule, the pain and
ROM are improving each day. My foot points straight for the first time in years! I'm off the pain meds for now - I went off them at about 24 hours post-op - and the PT will be here tomorrow. It still feels all a bit surreal, but I am looking forward to each day.

I said hi to the Dr. from Bruce - I said bush pilot and he remembered your name immediately. I was also contacted off list about Dr. Callander and I will respond to that as soon as I find the message but the Dr. gets my highest recommendation. He has a very "set you at ease" manner about him, but at the same time he is supremely confident about what he does - I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon.

That's assuming everything stays connected.....

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat