+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I think I did it again  (Read 2414 times)

blkhank

I think I did it again
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »
Hi everyone, I think I did it again.After a 9 day set back I think I screwed up again. I keep reading about people doing all this walking,swimming , stretching,etc. Are you sore after doing these things?

I though I was getting better. I understand just because I don't hurt I still need to be careful.I've been without the crutch since sun. Took my horses to get their very done today. I walked a slight incline 3x,pivoted on my operated leg on soft ground to avoid getting ran over by my  horse.As I'm driving home my hip starts to hurt,well the muscle start to hurt. Then went to PT ,took pain meds on the way,

He had me do walking forwards,backwards and side ways. I got home at two been icing and taking pain meds , I had to use the crutch to feed my horses. I feel like such a loser.it.seems I do good for a few days then this happens.

I did however smarten up and I'm sending the horse off to be riden before I ride, but at this rate, it feels like riding is not in the near future .

Am I doing something wrong or am I expecting to much if my self this is week 11.

Dannywayoflife

Re: I think I did it again
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:23:04 AM »
everyone recovers at a different rate. I couldnt walk still at around week 8-9! But im doing great now. If theres nothing wrong with your device etc then id just try and rest as much as possible and let your body tell you when it ready for other stuff.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

midiowa

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:03:52 AM »
iam 6wks PO, i get sore after working outside, we have horses also , 6 months minimum to ride horses again, look at the pounding hips take from them hay burners, i work around barn , tractors etc, just go slow and take it easy . remember the long haul outlook, it wont be long before your back in saddle. dont ship your buddy away , good time to do some ground work with em. Brad

johnd_emd

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
You're going to get sore, that's all there is too it.  All those muscles they toyed with during your surgery will take months to recover.  Having spent most of my life with horses, that's a tricky proposition after surgery.  You think nothing is going to happen, but you and I know just walking them from one stall to another can be compromising.  All it takes is one good shove, bump, nudge from your horse and you're going to me hurting.  I'd minimize handling the horses for awhile till you're comfortable and not so "guarding" of that hip.  I know, I'm 8 weeks tomorrow and am around kids all day teaching PE and I'm nervous as heck anytime a kid gets near me.  I had one plow into me and it was not fun; and he only weighed 200, not like a 1,000 horse.  Doesn't hurt to let someone else ride them for a month or two.  Small price to pay instead of a revision surgery.

Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »
It is very very true, not only does each person recover at a different rate, now after becoming a Bi-lat, each hip is recovering at a very different rate.  My first one 10/2011 is hurting as much and at times more than the one I had done 5 weeks ago, after activity, albeit it is handling alot of the work while I await getting off crutches.

Danny and Midiowa's advice is very true.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »
I don't think you're expecting too much, you're expecting as much as you can.  That's the way to improve.  Sometimes you'll overdo it and have to back off.  We've all done that so don't feel bad.  As the others have already said, we all heal at different rates.  You will get there in your own time.

I don't know anything about horses but I think it's a good idea to let them go for now and when you're ready; get back up and ride!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

David

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
It's just not a linear recovery...pushing yourself is good, within reason.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

WTW15

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
Hank I feel your ups and downs, too.  I'm pissed cuz I've had this stomach bug for 2 wks now and don't even feel like doing any PT, so that's really fallen off.  I've tried to keep up on my walks.  3 miles on Sunday and maybe a mile today, but just NOT doing all the PT I want to do.  I try to do a few ones during the day during breaks from work.  But still sore, achy, groin pain, glut pain, etc...  I'm 10 wks tomorrow and was really hoping to have more ROM and strength back - but as everyone keeps saying - patience.  gag!  My / Our mindset needs to change, I guess.  One day at a time, push moderately and look back to appreciate where we've come from.  My goal is riding my iron-horse in July, after my 6 month appointment.  Here's hoping I am not be overly aggressive and that I don't get blown out of the water and denied!  That would be crushing. 

You are not alone out there! 
Denise
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

blkhank

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »
Thanks,
To Danny I don't feel bad now about not walking sooner,I knew I wasn't alone :)

To Brad,I figure if I send my horse off to be ridden everyday for two weeks by my Amish black smith's son  my horse will be so happy to be home with me he'll do great if I take him to a mounted training on the April 20 th.( he's really good horse,.now I know what bomb proof is.)

To John , I know what your saying about staying safe around the horses,however my challenge has need staying safe from my 200 lb goats who like to play ring around the human. The horses have been staying clear of the crutch :)

To Denise, I'm 12 wks out and the thought of walking 3 miles would be amazing.I just got the okay to walk 5min.

Thanks again you all make me feel better and less alone.

blkhank

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
Hi, just when I thought I had my body figured out I have a day like today.It 's great !!! No pain when I get up from a seated position and with out realizing  I was doing laundry and sat on the floor "Indian style" just a short time maybe 10 sec. But mo pain,even after sitting on the floor. This great for me. Now I'm going for therapy ,barn work :) And I WILL NOT OVER DO IT.   Bye

WTW15

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
WTG - way to appreciate the small things!  Hope the barn work was pain free, post-pain free and uplifting! 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat