+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swelling in hip and groin  (Read 1788 times)

wriggra

Swelling in hip and groin
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »
Had a great day yesterday following surgery on Tuesday. It was the first day I managed to properly use crutches and I was up and down the stairs twice. Felt really good. Tonight (I write this wide awake at 3:50am uk time) I feel really uncomfortable. Mainly down to swelling in hip and groin. It feels huge and warm and uncomfortable. I have been using ice but wondering if I have overdone it? How have people found the balance between causing the hip to flare up like this and getting on with their PT?

Grant

mslendzion

Re: Swelling in hip and groin
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »
I had swelling for about three weeks. Started with the upper leg and by week 2 it was my entire leg. My knee was the size of a large grapefruit and I won't even comment on my foot. One it dropped down to the foot it remained constant for almost a week before it started to recede. Some people don't swell much at all but my story is also quite common. Good luck.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
It's very very common to have swelling post-op, rest, relax ice, ice and elevate elevate.

As time goes on the swelling will become less, even as you increase your activity.  You must understand your body has been through a lot of trauma.

Chuck

Had a great day yesterday following surgery on Tuesday. It was the first day I managed to properly use crutches and I was up and down the stairs twice. Felt really good. Tonight (I write this wide awake at 3:50am uk time) I feel really uncomfortable. Mainly down to swelling in hip and groin. It feels huge and warm and uncomfortable. I have been using ice but wondering if I have overdone it? How have people found the balance between causing the hip to flare up like this and getting on with their PT?

Grant
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

blkhank

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »
Every nite I packed my self in ice. PT showed how to make inexpensive ice packs .I had no swelling and used pressure stocking for the first 2 wks. I was also 50% weight bearing.

I still ice 12 wk's post op but 15 min on and 1 1/2 hrs off. And I plan to ice when I go back to work.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat