+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: "Start up pain" after running  (Read 4321 times)

MaryEllen

"Start up pain" after running
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »
I hate to come back here with another question/complaint, but you guys are the best help, so here goes.
I am 5 months post op. I can run about 4 miles with no pain. I am currently running about 3-4 days/week, but this week (and last) I had to quit running due to that old "start up pain" that I had immediately post-op. You know, the first few steps are so painful, but after that, I'm fine. I am wondering what causes this? Is it just the impact? Is it my body saying "no" to running yet? Will it EVER go away and will I be able to run like I want to?
Thanks!!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

jjmclain

Re: "Start up pain" after running
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »
How soon post-op did you start running? Maybe you started too soon and did not give the muscles and tendons a chance to heal properly? It takes time and patience. When I started running again, I started slowly and walk/ran for the first few times out and kept the mileage low. I never had start up pain but we are all different. Maybe you should back off for a bit until the pain goes away and then start up slowly.

Baby Barista

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »
I didn't reply to your previous posts about running Mary Ellen, but this time I feel compelled. And I really don't want to be an A-hole, but it kinda seems like that's what you need. So here goes...

On March 8th, after complaining of running pain and people telling you to lay off, your wrote:

"I am done running for awhile. I really want to get back to running, and I will... in time."

Then, in your most recent post you wrote:

"I am currently running about 3-4 days/week, but this week (and last) I had to quit running due to that old 'start up pain'"

Assuming you started running again the Monday before last (March 19th), you took a break from running an entire 10 days!
I've had bouts of constipation last longer than that!!! If you don't mind my asking.. WHERE IS THE FREAKING FIRE?!?! Why rush this? Your body is obviously trying to tell you something.

There are only three outcomes which are possible:
1) Your BHR is successful
2) Your BHR fails
3) Your recovery is perpetually delayed

Listen, I know the hunger and desire to get back in the game. I love the feeling of 405lbs crushing across my shoulder blades and 315lbs exploding off my chest at the gym... or trying to beat my 1/2 marathon PR of 1:51:30. But now is not the time, four months from now is not the time. I'll start testing the waters of my capabilities circa 9 months. And when I do, I'll listen to my body.

For the love of creation and the BHR... PLEASE DO THE SAME!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:10:18 PM by Baby Barista »
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
Startup stiffness or minor aches may last up to a year, possibly longer and that is without running, that is just from sitting for a brief time.

I corrected my original comment after I read that your doctor did allow you to start running, personally knowing what I've read about the females and their elevated failure rate I would not be pushing it too hard until well after 6 months as the chance for femoral neck failure is highest post-op until 6 months.

Although it's just IMHO.

Chuck

I hate to come back here with another question/complaint, but you guys are the best help, so here goes.
I am 5 months post op. I can run about 4 miles with no pain. I am currently running about 3-4 days/week, but this week (and last) I had to quit running due to that old "start up pain" that I had immediately post-op. You know, the first few steps are so painful, but after that, I'm fine. I am wondering what causes this? Is it just the impact? Is it my body saying "no" to running yet? Will it EVER go away and will I be able to run like I want to?
Thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:11:58 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:17:29 PM »
Ok, most times when I hear someone say that it usually ends with a lot of angst.

I really don't want to be an A-hole

She did wait a while before starting up again, and, her doctor has given his blessing on running so we just have to be supportive.  Perhaps next time you might want to begin with "IMHO".

I know your intentions are good.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
Mary,
         I too as barista held off posting but I've got to say I aggree with him. Your 5 months post op same as me. And your running 4miles several times a week? Your right in the timeframe for a neck fracture. On top of that an early return to impact can stop the bone growing into the cup. Rather than proper bone bonding with the cup a fibreous layer grows which won't hold the cup in place very long!
I think that if your dr has signed off on this activity then he need some re training. Mcminn and Treacy the developers and world authority's on HR both say wait a year as bone takes a long time to heal fully. Both of there stats speak for themselfs so why don't people listen to them?
I know how hard it is not being able to do something you love (ive not trained in mma since august 2010!) but this op has given you the chance to get your life back but from what I've read you may well be putting the long term longevity in danger. I really hope that I'm wrong but I really think you need to cool it and stop running for another 6 months or so. Try non impact stuff get on a road bike or a rowing machine but give your body a chance!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

David

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »
Easy on the rightiousness fellows...be slow and carefull Mary Ellen...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

MaryEllen

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »
Wow!! I haven't read these forums for awhile, and I come back and what do I find?  :o  I haven't been here because I have been feeling so good. I was running 6 days a week 4-6 miles a day. One day in August I thought "I Love This!!!", and right about then I felt that old familiar pain.... in the other hip. I was told at the time of my LBHR that my R would need hlep as well, eventually. Well, I have an appointment with my OS on the 18th, and I am hoping to schedule surgery and just get it all over with and let the rehabbing begin!!
I didn't mean to stir up controversy, or make anyone angry or frustrated with me. When I have my R done, I'll take it a bit slower back to the trails.
Thanks for the help!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
I'm just pleased it's working out well for you and your back to something you love! :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 07:08:26 PM »
Great to hear you're doing so well on the first hip, good luck on the second, MaryEllen.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal