+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Foot tracking for lack of a better description???  (Read 2847 times)

Jbennett

Foot tracking for lack of a better description???
« on: March 31, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »
Did you operated foot appear to toe out and in a little after surgery? Did it correct itself? I don't feel it really but I think I see it. It seems to move left and right a little while taking the stride with that leg. Seems to plant correctly never feels awkward I just see a little shimmy going on.
Jeff
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Foot tracking for lack of a better description???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
I had that perception as well, for me it went away after a few weeks, no issues from it that I recall.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

blkhank

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
Mine will do the same thing ,it doesn't hurt but I try to be aware of it so I can straighten it. It will drift while doing PT.My PT guy made me aware of it. It will get better.

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
Mine actually seemed to point inward rather than outward.  Prior to surgery my foot definitely went outward as I was really compensating.  I noticed with my first walk in the hospital that my foot no longer pointed out.  I'm not so sure my foot really went in.  It might just be I was so used to seeing it pointing outward prior to surgery.  Regardless, I am just about at 16 weeks and it seems to point straight ahead.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:04:58 AM »
My turned inward after surgery, I had to concentrate on pointing it straight for awhile, and it still seems to want to turn in. Other than my shoes wearing out a little weird I don't notice it. 

John C

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »
Mine definitely turned inward as well. My guess was that it was because the external rotators were cut, so there was now an imbalance between the internal and external rotators. I focused on making the external rotators fire when I walked, and it went away with time.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
    I've been running some, and I can tell that I need LOTS more resistance training to fix it.  My foot has felt awkward and sloppy, rather than tracking smooth and straight, since the surgery.  The running stride enhances the feeling.  Not bad and doesn't affect the foot strike, but it gets your attention when it wavers in the stride.  The rotators are in need of much more strength and stability.  Hoping that the basic exercises and continued easy running will do the trick.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
    I've been running some, and I can tell that I need LOTS more resistance training to fix it.  My foot has felt awkward and sloppy, rather than tracking smooth and straight, since the surgery.  The running stride enhances the feeling.  Not bad and doesn't affect the foot strike, but it gets your attention when it wavers in the stride.  The rotators are in need of much more strength and stability.  Hoping that the basic exercises and continued easy running will do the trick.

Curt

A couple of things have helped me in this front:

• Side leg lifts with 5 pound weights on the ankle. I sometimes put them on in the house for the entire time I'm home (take them off for bed, I am after all, fashionable)
  • A slide board. This emulates the side to side motion of skating, pushing off with one leg while forcing both legs to balance, since you are sliding on a very slick surface.

Maybe that would help the stabilizing muscles?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
Both of mine went inward a little and stayed that way, well, inward compared to pre-surgery.  I'm no where near pidgeon-toed, if anything I still walk like a duck, but less so than I used to.  I could see some swelling and soft tissue changes causing some oddness in the first few weeks after surgery, but I do think there is a bone component to the toeing inward deal. 

I think it's related to the acetabular cleanup during surgery.  One of the simple tests the doc did when I first visited was to quickly push on my knee inward, while I was sitting, to see how stiff and how not far it goes in with a light push.  Another test was done with me on my back, the doc put my feet together and moved the legs into a crouching position (knees toward chest).  The knees quickly went outward and the feet crossed at the maximum crouched position, which wasn't very far up.    I believe bone buildup on the inside edge of the acetabulum is an obvious sign and maybe even one of the first signs of OA.  As the femur "deepens" into the socket, the tendency is for the leg to go more outward and duck like. 

Anyway, I can now easilly move my knees inward, I can not think too hard about keeping my feet relatively straight while running, and I can even crouch and do a Conan O'Brien jump move with knees together heading for my teeth.  Sweet huh?
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:16:59 PM »
I must be the odd one. Pre surgery my foot started to point inward. My husband noticed I started walking semi pigeon toed (only with the bad leg). Post surgery my foot is straight.  My non op leg is pointing inward.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:04 PM »
According to my daughter, I have always been pigeon-toed - if that is true, it got worse with the OA.   My PT pointed it out and got me to think about keeping my feet straight, and I think I'm fine now, but I still have to think about keeping my feet straight sometimes.  I guess that comes from many years of messed-up hips and trying to minimize pain in the hip joint.  Last week, I met my daughter and grand-daughter at the zoo in Columbia, and the first thing my daughter said was "Mom, you're walking much better!".  Made me feel good, because not only am I walking much better, my hips feel a whole lot better!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »
That's good.  It's nice to hear when people say, "you aren't limping anymore", or that sort of thing. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »
7+ weeks post op, week and a half off crutches, and notice my most recent BHR foot is pointing outwards a bit--- nothing bad seemingly associated with it, just not pointed straight ahead.  Odd; the other foot-- from last Oct-- is pointing straight ahead.

Dan
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:09:38 PM by Dan L »
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat