+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip arthritis - and knee pain?  (Read 2602 times)

trgcfrg

• Hips Don't Lie
Hip arthritis - and knee pain?
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:13:34 PM »
I'm new to this board (and condition), but I really appreciate reading everyone's experiences. It's given me hope to see other people with the same condition as me and their positive outcomes. Thanks!

My story:  I'm 37 years old and have been playing basketball once a week for the last five years or so. In August I started distance running, running 20-25 miles a week. In October I ran a half-marathon (1 hr. 35 min.) and was really enjoying running. In November, I started to feel serious pain in my hips after I ran, then it became persistent. A few weeks of inactivity didn't help I went to the doctor, who referred me to Dr. Pritchett (I'm in the Seattle area). In January he told me that I have dysplasia in both hips and have developed arthritis in both hips. After an MRI he told me I also have FAI and torn labrum on both sides that may be part of the pain (they may have been caused by the dysplasia).

Dr. Pritchett says ultimately I'll need either hip replacement or resurfacing in both hips, probably in the next year or two - quite a surprise to me (as your diagnosis was to several of you, I'm sure). Based on feedback from this forum and other things I've read, it looks like hip resurfacing is a much better bet for me. At this point I've gotten cortisone shots in both hips and am waiting for things to get worse (Dr. Pritchett says I'm still too early for surgery).

Over the last couple months I've stopped running, but in the last couple weeks I've started to notice a weird feeling / pain in my left knee after standing for a while. My left hip is the side that feels worse right now. I'm trying to decide if it's somehow referred pain from my hip or if it might be a separate knee issue (it only hurts when I stand). Did any of you have knee pain / issues with your hip pain? Is there any way to differentiate referred pain vs. a real issue?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:30:21 PM by trgcfrg »
RBHR - 4/1/2013 Dr. Pritchett

http://hipsdontlie.azurewebsites.net/

hipnhop

Re: Hip arthritis - and knee pain?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
Hip problems are known to cause knee pain. I was having knee pain in 2006, that's when they first diagnosed me with Osteoarthritis. If it get worse you should have a discussion with you doc about HR.  I would be careful with the Cortisone shots. I went from bad to total hip failure after my second round of shots.  I went from being able to walk in moderate pain to not being able to walk without a crutch. Despite my Tri coach's plea for me not to get the shots, I persisted.
Pre Cortisone I tried to handle pain with 500Mg of Motrin.  It did not help. I could walk with level; 5 pain but any activity brought on a level 7 pain. The doc wanted me to wait three more years for surgery. I couldn't do it and thought Cortisone would help. If the pain is limited your lifestyle I say get it fixed.  I am bi-lat and eight weeks out from my second HR.  Today I swam, Biked, boxed and went out on a date with the prettiest woman I ever saw. No Pain, No Problems!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:10:31 AM »
I had a lot of knee pain along with the hip pain.  Sometimes the knee hurt worse than the hip.  When I finally decided to get a diagnosis I had the knee checked at the same time.  The knee was perfectly fine.  It was the change in gait that was causing the IT Band to shorten and stree the knee.

I have had no knee pain since recovering from hip resurfacing.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

OtterDriver

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
If you want to start a poll...I can ditto Dan's comments word for word!

Bruce

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
Chalk me up for the same thing.  The knee on the bad-hip side would often hurt MORE than the hip.  My hip had periods of good and bad, and when the hip didn't hurt, the knee didn't hurt.  When the hip hurt, the knee hurt.  That made the diagnosis of referral pain easier (although I posted the same question here).  I haven't had any knee pain since surgery, 11 weeks ago.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

ctb

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »
I had a torn labrum as well and I also had knee pain.  Actually, it seemed to travel down from my hip to the inside of my knee.  I initially thought all my problems were sciatica.  I had two cortisone injections prior to finding out that I actually had OA in that hip and the torn labrum.  Both times the pain was alleviated for a month at best.
Dr. Gross, LH Uncemented Biomet,  3/21/12

trgcfrg

• Hips Don't Lie
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »
Thanks, everyone for the responses. It's good to hear that I'm not alone. I'm hoping it's referred pain at this point, but I'll definitely get it checked out if it starts to get worse. Hipnhop, I'm conflicted about the cortisone shots. At this point they seem to help with some of the pain, but I'm concerned about doing long-term damage. I'm hoping that I can move ahead in the next few months to resurfacing surgery rather than go through another round of shots.
RBHR - 4/1/2013 Dr. Pritchett

http://hipsdontlie.azurewebsites.net/

Jeremy76761

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
Hi TRG,

I'm 37 and also a runner. 1:26 was my half marathon, in 2007, when some soft tissue injuries started which are now resolved except the OA. Feb 2011 was my dx but for the past 5-6 months I've had left knee pain and have been  wondering if it's the left hip OA. MRI and X-Rays say the knee is fine. Yet, there is some pain under the knee cap and also general diffuse pain that comes on after bridging, biking if legs are bent, or maybe twisting. I did have a twisting knee injury during a wrestling drill where a big guy fell on me in early 2009. I sure hope it's related to the hip. Yet my hip ROM seems fine! Can hip OA cause knee pain even if there is no perceptable change in hip ROM??? Interestingly, I too get tight IT band and have to use a blue roller which does help the knee feel better. Have you tried a blue roller?

Wonder if there are any stats on cortisone shots? Seem to me best as a last resort to buy some time?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:16:37 PM by Jeremy76761 »

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
TRG - sounds like you're on your way to getting a new hip.  Sorry.  However you're in good hands with Pritchett.  I had lots of knee pain, like others.  Also like CTB says the sciatica type of pain (nervy and off and on, difficult to pinpoint) was more like my pain.  Good luck, keep posting and researching.  Folks here are great, tons of great info. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat