+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yardwork risk?  (Read 1914 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Yardwork risk?
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »
Hi all,

So, yesterday I was in the yard all day.  I planted the garden Cut/trimmed/edged the grass, trimmed bushes, etc...  Six hours.

I did not have any hip pain (yay!) either during or after.  I am wondering, though, if there is risk associated with doing that much?  When planting, I am on my knees on the ground.  Obviously, there is some loading when pushing the lawnmower (not self-propelled).  I loved doing all of that, but certainly don't want to add unnecessary risk.

Thoughts?
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Yardwork risk?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »
I actually asked about that after my first one, the one concern the PA had was heavy digging (ie planting trees or shrubs) and anything like that, that could involve impacts on the operated leg(s), was to be avoided for the first year.

At about 4 months after hip #1, I spent about 2 hours doing the spring cleanups (cutting down native grasses, perennials, raking etc) and was pretty sore for about 2-3 days after.  That involved lots of bending at the hip.

Same general rules would seem to apply: listen to your body and if it protests, back off etc.

Hope it helps,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

mslendzion

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
 Imgetinold. Did it hurt on you knees?  Mine is still a bit sensitive to kneel on. It must have been awesome to be able to plant the garden, miss that. .
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
If you would have done damage, you would know it.

In the coming months you must listen to your body, be careful, especially careful up to 6 months so you do not break your femoral neck.

Sounds like you are doing really well.

Chuck

Hi all,

So, yesterday I was in the yard all day.  I planted the garden Cut/trimmed/edged the grass, trimmed bushes, etc...  Six hours.

I did not have any hip pain (yay!) either during or after.  I am wondering, though, if there is risk associated with doing that much?  When planting, I am on my knees on the ground.  Obviously, there is some loading when pushing the lawnmower (not self-propelled).  I loved doing all of that, but certainly don't want to add unnecessary risk.

Thoughts?
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »
I have been enjoying the heck out of yard work lately.  So much of a joy this year as opposed to last year.  Being able to squat, bend, lift and truck up and down the hill in our back yard rocks.  However, I am still cautious, for example the slope in our back yard is quite steep.  I have not attempted mowing it.  That takes a lot of hard pushing even with a self propelled mower.  So I agree that I think you/we know your limits.  Don't try to be superman or woman but definitely get outside and be active in your yard.  I got in some good hamstring and calf stretches today standing on our slope and pulling weeds. Since I am a confessed "yard-a-holic" I can get my fix mowing the front yard that is fairly flat!  Unfortunately it looks like my husband has not been giving the back hard the same amount of loving I've been giving the front  :)
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
Thanks all.  I haven't hurt anything....at least not that I can tell.  But yes, Chuck, I am worried that I might not know I'm pushing it until it's too late.

I appreciate the feedback.....
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 06:56:46 AM »
I thought you were looking for an excuse to get out of it, but it looks like you like to do your yardwork, so I say go for it.  Like any exercise, you have to ease into it and don't do it all in one day.  Ice or use anti-inflammatories afterward at first and then you'll be good to go.

I have to mow the lawn, today or tomorrow, for the first time this year
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
It all sounds good to me, but I'm not the best guy to ask about "overdoing it".  I was lifting a crankshaft out of an engine at about 3 months post op on righty and I ended up with a slightly delayed pain in the right hip.  I worried, but it all went away the next day.  I think you need to be really careful with lifting.  Kneeling?  I'm not sure about that.  It was so painful to kneel before surgery that within the first few weeks after, I could easilly kneel and it felt great.

Oh yardwork, if only the rain would stop.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »
Tin, can't believe you were kneeling weeks after surgery. Amazing!  Funny how we all heal differently isn't it.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
Well I wasn't doing a lot of it, but when I would get up and down off the floor for my PT work, I would stop for a bit on the knees, just because that was very painful before surgery and after there was nothing.    It was a little awkard with the posterier restrictions.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat