+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New BHR.  (Read 1812 times)

rag3317

New BHR.
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
10 weeks out from surgery. Operated leg is 1/2 inch shorter now than other leg. Has this happened to others?  Leg is still stiff with limited ROM. Only limited pain but still some swelling. How long till my new hip starts to feel normal? Thanks for your perspective.

Jbennett

Re: New BHR.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:28 PM »
Are you are it's really 1/2' shorter. I think thats almost impossible with a resurfacing unless something was done wrong.
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

johnd_emd

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:40:44 PM »
I'm 8 wks post-op and I'm almost sure mine is shorter too.  I'm actually glad about it.  My right leg has always been longer and it's always tilted my pelvis.  I don't think it's impossible at all.  From a physical perspective, it could depend on the shape of the femoral head.  Is it long and skinny, short and rounder, etc., etc.  If the doc bevels it down to get it where he needs to and the cup is set in deep, one could easily lose a little length. 

Rag, you're gonna be stiff and sore and will have some limited ROM for awhile.  Dude, they just cut you open and spun your leg around to pop it out of place!!!   :'(  It will heal.  Your swelling will deminish, and your stiffness and ROM will increase as you heal.  That will take some time.  10 days, that's pretty soon.  Heck, read on here.  Some people aren't even able to put their socks on for a couple months.  Be patient with yourself and your recovery. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »
I could see that happening if you had a THR, but hip resurfacings generally do not cause leg length issues because what is taken off is replaced by the femoral component.  It's a pretty exact science.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:32:51 AM »
You may be seeing the effect of the stress on your body from the surgery and recovery. I'd see how it is after the ROM has come back and you feel like you're walking without problems. Ten weeks is still early to see how it will be for good.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jbennett

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
Dr. Gross took measurements on my leg during surgery and noted he lengthened it exactly 3mm. He said any discrepancies under a cm would be eventually compensated for by the pelvis tilting to compensate. That being said theres a big difference between a cm and 1/2"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:08:07 PM by Jbennett »

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
Did he lengthen it on purpose? From all I've read most surgeons can get the lengths right on while THRs can sometimes be problematic.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
I'm about 11 weeks and have limited ROM too. I'm still struggle with putting socks on, etc.  I think we fine, healing at our own pace. It's way better now than pre op don't you think?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Jbennett

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
No it just worked out that way. I assume he would have had to remove 3mm more bone than he needed to in order for the leg to stay the same length either from the acetabular or the femoral head and if 3mm doesn't matter he doesn't want to remove it. He has that 1 cm margin of error he says does not matter. 3mm is tiny from a leg length standpoint but a big deal if it means taking out 3mm of the ace tabular. If you needed a revision down the road you want plenty of bone depth to work with. I think I've seen x rays of poorly done resurfacings or THR's somewhere maybe here where you wonder how the cup doesn't just break through the surgeon left it so thin. Would be precarious to revise those.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:12:10 PM by Jbennett »

stephen1254

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:43 PM »
Hey, I gained 1.5 inches in height. I took no measurements of either leg before or after, but the 1.5 inches is what I lost during the last 2.5 years of deteriorating  hip.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

WTW15

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
My PT and I noticed my op'd leg is a little longer than my other, but at this early into it, almost 11 wks, it's still chalked up to muscle tightness and pelvic adjustment.  I do kind of notice it when standing, but know that I'll adjust as everything continues to heal.  If I had to guess, I'd go with like 3 - 5 mm.  Not a huge amount, but just noticeable. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM