+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: T Plus 7  (Read 1434 times)

stephen1254

T Plus 7
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
One week post op today. Walked 3.6 miles over 3 walks. PT had me off any assistance around the house yesterday except for stairs, but that was a bit much so I went back to the cane today. Still doing a few minutes at a time without assistance, and trying to balance the muscle soreness. Every day gets better. My next goals are to do away with crutches and the cane completely, and get back on the exercise bike and to upper body weights. The target for that is next Tuesday, based on the rate of recovery to date.

I think another call-out is due to Dr. Callander. I was in very good physical shape going in, but I think my recovery has to be due, at least in part, to the relative lack of trauma caused by my surgeon.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

hernanu

Re: T Plus 7
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »
Sounds good, Stephen - good that you feel well enough to do this.

One thing: I wouldn't make it a goal to get rid of crutches or the cane, as much as make it a goal to walk strongly enough that you don't need either. It's a thin difference, but important in that you don't want to get rid of the assistance that might help you to avoid gait or stride issues later.

One thing that might help is to have someone else look at your gait as you walk and help you see where you need to improve. I think all of us wanted the cane / crutches gone, just make sure that you're not taking on long term bad habits that might have been avoided by using assistive devices longer.

Still good to see you progressing well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »
That's fantastic, Stephan.

Does your doctor clear you for exercise biking and weight lifting so soon?  Just curious.  Dr. Gross doesn't allow that until after the six-week follow up.  Even then, weights need to be non-hip-bearing.  Basically machines where you are seated and not loading the hip.  Be careful not to overdo it.

And, yes, I think the great surgeons cause minimum damage, allowing our healing to be focused on the necessary stuff.  How long is your incision?
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

stephen1254

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
The point about gait is a good one and I'm going to continue to use the aids until I can walk without a limp.

And while Dr. Callander did not specifically advise against weight exercises that load the hip socket, I'm assuming that I shouldn't put stress on the new joint. I'm going to start with a flat bench and a very slight incline bench, both on the smith machine, pull ups, chin ups and bar dips. I think I'll start at about 50% of my pre-op weight. I've got my exercise bike set up so that I won't violate the 90 degree rule - that restriction was for 3 weeks - and I'm going to pedal without resistance, just to work on the motion.

My incision is about 8-9 inches, I think about the norm.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
Totally agree with Hern on the gait issue.  Keep the nose over the center line and really focus on an even smooth gait, all the way through the stride.  I think the cane, later on turned out to be more like a ski pole for me.  You don't really use it for weight but more for "initiating the turn", or in this case, providing a touch of support in the last remaining part of the stride where you have some tenderness, if that makes sense.

Good Job! 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »
Stephen,

Sounds like you have a smart approach.  You're going to have a great recovery.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM