+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Women and Hip Resurfacing  (Read 3123 times)

peggy

Women and Hip Resurfacing
« on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
Hello,
I have a consultation this month with a Dr. Schmidtt in Michigan to find out if I am able to have a hip resurfacing instead of a THP. I have read some research that says women do not have the success rate and may not be right for BHR as their  structure is smaller. I would absolutely love to hear from women who have had BHR and what their results were. I have osteoarthritis in my right hip, I am 56.  Thank you so very much!

mslendzion

Re: Women and Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
Hi Peggy.  Dr. Schmitt specializes in women. For me so far, so good.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
I am a small framed woman (5'7", 126 pounds).  Assuming a skilled surgeon and adequate bone density you should be fine.  I have had vey good results so far.  Best of luck to you  :)
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

zeke

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »
I had my hip resurfaced in January...no problems so far. This is my 10th week of recovery and I feel great  ;D
Zeke

MGM

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
Female here. OA in right hip and had a BHR by Dr. Schmitt 4-1/2 months ago. Doing really well so far and never needed a pain med at any time post-op. Just returned home from spending a long weekend visiting my daughter who attends college in a large city. Walked all over the place for 4 days with no problems. Dr. Schmitt is a talented, highly experienced BHR surgeon and a great guy to boot. If you're told that you qualify for resurfacing during your consult, book the surgery and don't even think about a THR. Get it done. You won't regret it.   
R-BHR, 11/28/11 -- Dr. Schmitt

lyn

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
Its nice to here other women comment about getting a hr. I didn't realize Dr.Schmitt specializes
in women, that's great that he does. I'm also small 5'2. I'm going to DR. Pritchett and Dr. Gross to see what I want to do. I agree if you have a chance for hr go for it. It seems so many women do well with an experienced surgeon. Good luck...lyn

mari

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross 3 years ago at age 62, and I am doing just fine. 
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

WTW15

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »
As is common with most HR patients, I was first told THR, then found this site, did my research, went to a dr who does HR and he told me I was small-boned and he would not do it.  I then continued my research and found another dr who said she would do it.  I was not the smallest device size, I think I got a 46mm ball cap and not sure what the socket size is, but it is well placed, I had confidence in this doctor and I am 11 wks out and very happy!  I am 5' 6" and 130#.  oh yeah, and I'm a woman....LOL 

Do YOUR homework and don't settle for no unless it's from a doctor you that has earned your respect. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »
I am a woman that has has a BHR and I am coming on to my one year anniversary.  This surgery is a life changer.  I was 37 when the procedure was done, so I wanted to keep my bone.
Best of luck to you.  You will know when you find your surgeon.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:49:36 AM »
I'm not a woman but have done a fair bit of reading on the whole subject of HR and if you see a really top surgeon then the percentage difference in outcome is negligible. It's obviously a far harder job with a small boned woman as there's less bone to work with and bone density is not normally as high but it can still be done.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

mslendzion

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
There are several women on this site, including me, that have had Dr. Schmitt as their surgeon. I'm 5'1 and size 6, 46 yrs old. He is really good and has no issues with women. He trained in Birmingham With the master and has done over 1000 BHRs, first in the US.  Other local hospitals are trying to recruit him.

He does an anterior approach. My scar is about 5 inches and healing very well. He glues the outside to help minimize the scarring. I went to my dermatologist to see if she had any recommendations to help minimize it and she said it was healing really nice and scar patches are not necessary. It really does not look so bad. No treatment needed.

He is a great guy. I highly recommend him. Huron Valley hospital has a new special ward for bone replacement patients. Really nice private rooms. You are lucky to have him doing your surgery in my opinion.  Your in good hands with him.

luann again

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
Hi Peggy, I am a 5'2" woman who had HR (with a Wright Conserve + device - my Dr said it would fit smaller women better than the BH) about 2 years ago now and I am doing great. I ride western sport horses (fast and rowdy! ) almost every day of the week. I hike and ride a stationary bike just fine, too. I am a petite size and weigh about 116. Good Luck! Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Wyoming Kim

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »
Hi Peggy,
Not that I have anything to offer but just wanted to say I hope your consult w/ Dr. Schmidt is all that you hope for and answers your questions.
I also have a consult coming in June (earliest available) with Dr. Scott Cook in KC....hopefull to know that I'm a good candidate for a BHR.
The first ortho doc I went to this week says a THR and that I should stay away from the BHR because of metal ions in bloodstream....motivated me all the more to seek out another opinion.
8/29/12 Right BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup
2/1/17 Left BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 08:48:56 AM »
Welcome Kim, and you're doing the right thing to research more in to your options.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

peggy

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »
My heartfelt gratitude to all of you who sent a message to this topic! I did have my consultation yesterday and I do qualify for BHR. My bones look very good. Dr. Schmidtt said size of the Birmingham apparatus I would require is also very good. The only thing I
am concerned about now is that he thinks he would use a lateral approach (I posted that as a subject) makes me a little nervous as some of my research implied longer recovery,
possible problems with ongoing muscle weakness and limping. Anyone have this approach for their surgery? I did find Dr. Schmidtt to be very nice and friendly, which was comforting, as he already has a track record of over 1,000 surgeries and 40% women according to his staff.

mslendzion

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
Hi Peggy,
I was at Dr. Schmitts too yesterday. He is great. You are in hands. He used an anterior approach on me. Did he say why he opted for the lateral?

bilateralbliss

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqQAnDJKqhU&feature=colike

Unsure which thread to post this in- hope this encourages/ helps many women.
Pat will know the  best place  :)
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat