+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gross patient one week in...setback?  (Read 2596 times)

LAB123

Gross patient one week in...setback?
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
Hi Folks,

Dr. Gross and team resurfaced my left hip one ago today and until now my recovery has seemed to be right on track. I quit the pain meds yesterday and walked some using the cane today. Tonight my leg is swollen down to the ankle and sore and achy...Anybody have similar experiences? Maybe I pushed too hard?

As always I appreciate your support!

Larry
Dr. Gross, left hip, 3/28/2012

obxpelican

Re: Gross patient one week in...setback?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »
When things like that happen, back off, ice, elevate relax. 

The most important thing, listen to your body, everybody is different.

And no, what happened to you is not indicative of having caused a problem, of course none of us are doctors and Lee or Dr. Gross is your best source of info.

Chuck
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:33:35 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »
Hi Larry,
Welcome to the Dr Gross club.
I encountered the swelling moving down into the foot and ankle at around one week also, and it persisted for about a week. The more that we become upright and active, the more that gravity is going to pull the fluid down towards the foot and ankle. The only solution that I found for this was elevating my feet after each walk, and doing lots of ankle pumps with them elevated to get the fluid moving out of the area. As everyone agrees, make lots of use of that Polarcare ice machine that they give you. I used that after every walk for at least the first few weeks.
Like Chuck said, always ask Lee about any serious concerns. She is incredibly helpful and patient.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:21:16 AM »
Hey Larry, as John and Chuck point out, it's very normal. Take their advice and you'll be good. Especially about getting in touch with your doctor for anything that bugs you. It's just a call and it clears your mind. Otherwise... I had all that you described.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »
I had the exact same experience. The major swelling came about one week post op. not at all un normal. In fact my in home nurse told me the swelling would drop to my foot before it started to reside so it's all downhill for you now. I know fellow readers of this site have heard this from me in other posts but my knee was huge, the size a a very large grapefruit. I could have sworn they put someone else's leg back on me it was so big.

All is well now.  :P
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

metoo

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »
During my pre-surgery appointment with Dr Gross,  Lee Webb mentioned that Saturday could be one of the worse days for swelling (3 days postop).  For me, the swelling occurred on Sunday while I was travelling from South Carolina back to Colorado.   It was about six hours of travel (air and ground).  The swelling started high and proceeded low and created a lot of discomfort.  It took about 24 hours of elevation, post op exercises, and ice before things returned to "normal".    I actually don't expect the swelling to return unless I overdo something.  We will see.

Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat