+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Hip For Summer  (Read 13015 times)

stephen1254

New Hip For Summer
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
I've posted in several areas on the forum but I thought I would start a topic in this area, and regularly update it. Reading other stories here has been the single best thing to prepare for the surgery, and to prepare for the recovery.

I'm 58, super active, and live in the Lake Tahoe area. Among other activities I've run for 35 years and that, combined with other activities and some suspect genes (thanks Mom) led to the deterioration of my hip. I got the OA diagnosis in September, had to stop running in November, and scheduled surgery for March 27, 2012, at the end of the ski season. That way I would have a new hip in time for our glorious (but short) Tahoe summer.

Pre-op I worked on upper body strength, and concentrated on bar dips - you spend a lot of time lifting yourself out of chairs after surgery. I also worked on balance with a bosu ball and an Indo board. I tried to keep as active as possible leading up to the surgery and walked 5 miles in San Francisco the day before surgery.

Post-op I wasn't prepared for just how sore and weak my leg would be. Mentally I was thinking I would start off in less pain than pre-op. That isn't at all the case. The good news is that the progress, while never as rapid as you want, is steady. Hydration is important and I would drink as much water as possible. When the catheter is removed the nurse will make you pee three times before you are released - I made sure to produce quarts of the stuff!

People will talk about icing and elevation and both are important. I made up some ice bags with 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water and they work well. Your recliner will be your best friend and, at least in my case, I am still sleeping in it at night at 8 days post-op.

There are two separate factors in recovery. The first is healing from the surgery - everything that was cut away and reattached, plus the trauma of the surgery itself. The second is the healing of the bone around the implant. The distinction between the two is important, because I expect to feel pretty much normal before I am completely healed.

Most doctors focus on walking as a primary exercise in rehab. I've done the same. It's a little difficult to strike the balance between pushing hard and pushing too much. My first walk at 3 days was about .5 miles. My second walk at 4 days was 1.2 miles. That caused considerable swelling that came down with ice and elevation. I went to 2.4 miles in 2 walks, 3 miles in 3 walks, 3.6 miles in 3 walks, and 4 miles in 3 walks. My longest single walk has been 1.6 miles. I ice and elevate after every walk. My goal at this point is 5 miles over 3-4 walks, at which point I think I will be ready to start some light upper body weights and the exercise bike. All my walks are with crutches - I've done a couple with just a cane but that has caused a little too much pain.

My immediate goal is to walk without a limp and with a proper gait. I don't know when I will get there, but the progress is steady so I know its coming.

To end this initial post, I want to emphasize the difference between the healing of the trauma from the surgery, and the healing of the bone around the implant. The former I will push; the latter I will not. I want to compete in triathlons again, but I do not anticipate running for a full year. I want to work on rebuilding my leg strength - I have a complete weight lifting gym at the house - but I will take that very slowly. I think hiking this summer will produce the most stress on the new implant and I am planning my hikes around that. My first "impact" sport will be skiing next winter and I should be 8 months post op by then. Till next week.....

Stephen
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

WTW15

Re: New Hip For Summer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:12 PM »
Great post Stephen.  I am at 11 wks tomorrow and am really trying to keep up on my PT and walks.  However a little snow set-back in the Rockies thwarted that effort today. But it'll melt and be gone by tomorrow.  I have the same focus that you do.  Good posture, good form, step through, and keep moving.  I am frustrated how weak my op'd leg is, but I am already seeing some good progress, so it's easing the frustration a bit.  I know that I have at least till the 6month point before doing anything with impact (bone healing) and by then hoping the strength and muscles will be good to go as well.   I was also reminded by another here that this really can be up to an 18month recovery, so trying to take everything in stride and if I have setbacks or delays, not to be too upset. 

The O/A Pain is gone.  The muscles still ache at times, but it's that good 'I've been working out' ache. 

Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »
Great post stephen. Really pointed out some important things to consider.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »
Good post stephen. I think your quite right about the bone healing it takes a long time! And I believe that is the deciding factor of how long a all placed device will last.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

stephen1254

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
2 weeks post-op today. Progress has been steady, never as fast as I want, but steady. I've tried to do a little more each day, either in walking distance or in reducing use of walking aids. It's worked pretty well, as I've only had 1 day where I woke up more sore than the previous day, and I just backed down my activity a bit.

Today is actually a big day for me, because I had Dr. clearance to start on the exercise bike and do light upper body weight training. I was on the bike before I digested breakfast and the bike went really well. I did 15 minutes at the lowest resistance, then I alternated 4 sets each of 12 reps with a 100 lb flat Smith machine bench press and 8 reps of body weight chin ups. I then went back and did another 15 minutes on the bike. When I got off the bike I was walking better than I have at any point since the surgery. I expect things to tighten up a bit during the day, but I still see a net positive from the bike.

In summary I am off walking aids within the house, and am using a cane to walk outside with brief periods of no aid. The criterion is my gait - I will walk without aids as long as I can without limping.

To those who haven't had the surgery yet or are still in the early recovery stage I wanted to mention depression. I am an incurable optimist, but this is a tough surgery. There are times when I wonder if I will ever be free of pain again. Last Saturday my wife and I went over to Squaw Valley just to enjoy the weather and listen to a little music. A friend asked my wife if I was skiing on the new hip yet. Her reply was "Are you kidding? He can barely walk." That was tough because it was a beautiful day and I couldn't be out on the slopes. That night when I went to bed I took a close look at myself in the mirror and I can see the affects of pain in my face. I got in bed and I wanted to cry - I was so tired of being in pain. The next morning I got up and felt the best yet, so I put the optimist face back on. I know I will get through this - primarily from reading all of the stories on this site of people who have had this surgery and have fully recovered - so I know it is just a matter of time.

Still can't come soon enough.....

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:21:45 PM »
Stephen, you want to check out the posts on depression.

To some degree we've all had it, at different times. It's just normal especially for the type A's that we all seem to be to hit the skids a bit when we hit the unavoidable reverses along the way. The best thing is to understand that this is not just a physical recuperation, but a mental and emotional as well.

We all spiraled down on the OA whirlpool, and now that we've escaped it, we still need to get back to our own particular brand of still waters. It takes time and a lot of strength that many people (like your friend) have no concept of.

To really prosper, you need people in your life like your wife, who have seen the struggle, and while they don't get the whole thing, are definitely clued in. I had a counselor that I was already seeing for marriage therapy and folded in my challenges from the HRs, but the issues are real and you should know that they are fairly common.

Keep it up, you're doing great, but as with your walking aids, you are benefiting from the folks in your life that are offering a helping hand. Sounds like you've got a great wife, she's going to also see the emotional difference in you, I know I smile a lot more now, and the sight of my kids wincing along with me when I walked before the surgeries is gone.

Be patient with yourself in more ways than just physically; I know I needed to.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:24:37 PM by hernanu »

LAB123

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
Stephen,

Thanks for keeping us posted. Your experience and the advice you're getting from your doctor are much different from mine! Tomorrow I'll be two weeks post-op from a left hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross and I'm still using two crutches and feeling pretty significant pain, although it gets a little better each day. I had a set back a week ago when I had some muscle spasms that really floored me. Today I spoke with Dr. Gross's assistant Lee Webb and she told me not to walk more than 1-1.5 miles per day until after my 6 week check up, and I believe this is their normal program. Dr. Gross's advice to me resonates...for the first six weeks "less is more." I do wonder if more aggressive PT and activity would speed my pain reduction and improve my mobility, but I went to Dr. Gross for a reason and I'll stick with his advice. I look forward to comparing notes with you.

All the best,

Larry
Dr. Gross, left hip, 3/28/2012

stephen1254

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
My Doctor is fairly aggressive in rehab, although he has two partners that do resurfacing as well and he is the least aggressive of the three! I am trying to listen to what my body is telling me, but I think we are all a bit in the dark as to the best way to proceed. I feel positive about getting blood flow to the injured body parts, and working through a normal ROM to prevent excessive scar tissue buildup. There is a fair amount of pain and a lot of stiffness after sitting, but my daily measurement is how I feel when I first wake up. If I am less sore than the day before then I continue pushing.

Having said that, I firmly believe we will all get to the same point, just at different times.

OtterDriver

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »
Just curious Stephen...Dr. Callander, Dr. Cox and who's the third surgeon at CPOSM doing resurfacing?

Thanks and congratulations again, Bruce

blkhank

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:07:45 AM »
Hi everyone, you were all right it gets easier.I've been crutch free for 2 wks, I'm 13 wk post op and had a 9 day set back. I've never has surgery before( hopefully never again) so recovery has been interesting to say the least.

PT has been become more intense, I hate that I'm so out of breath but I haven't done anything in 10 mos. Ice is still my best friend. Really the only pain is occasionally when I'm walking backwards. I will say I'm extremely tired ,exhausted. I start work on the 16 th the extra week has help tremesly .

I have a mounted training in 2wks, 10 days before I'm cleared to ride. I set my horse to Amish bootcamp he will be ridden everyday till I pick him up.Because I know how easy set back can be, so if I have any doubts I'm off my horse.

But I will say I'm sitting in my saddle when I'm watching tv and it feels WONDERFUL. I will and am getting better! Hmm riding pain free is going to be fun. :)

Now if work doesn't kick my butt. But that's what happens when your single. Bye for now , all you new hippys hang in there .

stephen1254

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »
Just curious Stephen...Dr. Callander, Dr. Cox and who's the third surgeon at CPOSM doing resurfacing?

Dr. Gilbert

LAB123

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
Blkhank,

Nine day setback sounds tough.

What happened and to what do you attribute it?

Thanks
Dr. Gross, left hip, 3/28/2012

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
Hi everyone, you were all right it gets easier.I've been crutch free for 2 wks, I'm 13 wk post op and had a 9 day set back. I've never has surgery before( hopefully never again) so recovery has been interesting to say the least.

PT has been become more intense, I hate that I'm so out of breath but I haven't done anything in 10 mos. Ice is still my best friend. Really the only pain is occasionally when I'm walking backwards. I will say I'm extremely tired ,exhausted. I start work on the 16 th the extra week has help tremesly .

I have a mounted training in 2wks, 10 days before I'm cleared to ride. I set my horse to Amish bootcamp he will be ridden everyday till I pick him up.Because I know how easy set back can be, so if I have any doubts I'm off my horse.

But I will say I'm sitting in my saddle when I'm watching tv and it feels WONDERFUL. I will and am getting better! Hmm riding pain free is going to be fun. :)

Now if work doesn't kick my butt. But that's what happens when your single. Bye for now , all you new hippys hang in there .

You know, it all sounds good to me. You're having the usual ten steps forward one back. 9 days is a bit, but I had that long a setback before. Glad to see you're set to go. (blkhank rides into the sunrise to 'back in the saddle again'   ;D )

stephen1254

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
Day 15 and my leg feels the strongest to date. Could be the bicycle, I'm not sure. Ironic as last night was the stiffest I've felt to date.

Stiffness - I'm fortunate enough to work out of the house but I'm a 1 man show with deadlines so I was back to work part time on day 3, and full time on day 6. The most difficult thing has been sitting at my desk. I try to periodically move around but it still contributes to stiffness. I just need to deal with it.

Pain meds - an interesting story. I stopped all pain meds 24 hours post-op but about day 8 I was pretty sore one afternoon and decided to take 2 pills. Almost immediately my wife's shirt began changing colors and I fell asleep in the recliner. I then got up and went to lie down in the bedroom. I became aware of something going on in the great room and got up to investigate but my path was blocked by a black cloth. There were three people there doing some sort of modification to the fireplace. I went back to bed and my wife started talking to me. I couldn't see her in the pile of bedding so I had her put her hand up and I grabbed that just so I knew I wasn't hallucinating. I then had a very earnest conversation with her until I woke up as she came into the bedroom, back from her daily 7 mile run. The worst part was I spent 4.5 hours hallucinating and the pain meds only lasted for 4 hours, so my leg felt no different then when I took the pills! No more meds for me.....

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
Wow. The worst I got from the extra strength tylenol was a torrential attack of night sweats.

mslendzion

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »
Wow, what kind of pain meds did they give you? 
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

blkhank

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »
To Lab 123, I was in week 10, had been off the crutch for 3 days ,my PT told me this was going to be a tuff time for me trying to figure out when I've done enough.

I was pain free decided to clean the barn. It's about 1 hr job. It took me 6, between taking breaks icing every hour,petting the critters. When I started to feel sore I quit imediently went to the house ,iced, and went to bed.

Next morning felt great,no pain ,no limp. I went to the current pool to walk against the current . I had been doing it 2-3 x a week for a hour no big deal.When I got done used the whirlpool , stretched felt fine.As I was walking out to my car my hip and leg cramped and hurt so bad I could barley get to my car.

Ended up on the crutch for 9 more days and had to get extension for going back to work. I was very upset,I'm running out of vacation time and I'm sole income.But its something I can't change, its done. Now I limit myself, instead  an hour in the pool I do a half an hour,chores around the barn, 1 stall not three.

Work has me a little nervous, so the days I work no barn work.its all good.

stephen1254

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »
The pain med is called Hydrocordone, or something like that.

Oh, and at day 16 I have been completely without walking assistance for 3 days. Upped the time and the resistance on the exercise bike today just enough to start breathing a bit harder. The bike seems to have the most effect on overall leg strength. Today was the first day I honestly felt like I am turning the corner, and will walk normally and pain free in the foreseeable future. Still very cautious around the hip joint, with very deliberate moves and no sudden loading of the joint, but certainly feeling better each day.

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
I had that prescribed to me, but didn't need it, as my pain was 0-1 after my release both times. Are you doing physical therapy? If not, there's a list of exercises that can also help with the sideways and groin muscle strengthening in addition to the bike that you're doing.

From the McMinn center : http://www.surfacehippy.info/exercisesmcminn.php

From this site: http://www.surfacehippy.info/exercisesearly.php

There was a list of early exercises that I gave curt a while ago that worked for me, will have to dig that up.

stephen1254

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »
I'm not doing any PT now but I've been doing those exercises since I came home. Beginning next Tuesday, which will be week 3 post-op, I'm going to start doing the same exercises on a Bosu ball, which will recruit more stabilizer muscles. One exercise that the PT gave me the one time she came out was to balance on one leg. I've been doing that for a 30 count on each leg, and will move that to the Bosu ball next Tuesday.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal