+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgeon fees up-front payment  (Read 2839 times)

skihippy

Surgeon fees up-front payment
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
Hi all-

I'm fairly new to the site, but it has been a wonderful source of info leading into my BHP. Eight days to go and counting...

Yesterday I received a call from my surgeon's office (DR. Rector in Bouder, CO). that I would have to provide them with payment of about $2,000 by one week prior to the surgery. This is their estimate of my portion of the surgeon's fee, with Anthem BC/BS paying the remainder. I need to make this payment so that they may "go ahead with the surgery" one week later.

This does not seem to be appropriate to me. Why would I be required to pay for the surgery before it takes place? I have never heard of such a requirement. Don't worry, I can easily pay for my share. However, this "requirement" is insulting to me, as well as seeming to be borderline unethical.

What are others thoughts/experiences?

Thanks

Skihippy

johnd_emd

Re: Surgeon fees up-front payment
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
I have BS and had Dr. Rector do my surgery and had nothing but positives to say about the whole procedure.  I would check with your insurance and make sure they aren't requesting anything up front, or simply go into Dr. Rector's office and communicate with them directly. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »
It may be your part of the deductable, they possibly want to be paid for rather than chasing down the patient.

Check with your insurance company.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Neild5

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »
It sounds like that is your deductible, due to collection costs the doctors and hospitals want their money or payment arrangements up front.  When the hospital called I asked if I paid it would they give any discount.  They said sure, 20%.  Others here have gotten 20-25% discounts so it is worth asking.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Jbennett

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »
 It's pretty standard these days with peoples crazy high deductibles. I pre paid both the Dr. and the Hospital. Got a 20% discount with the hospital.
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

Tim Bratten

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »
I wired almost 18.000 euros in advance to Dr. Koen De Smet in Belgium and I'd never even met the guy face to face. Made me a bit nervous, to say the least. At this point I'd say without hesitation that paying for that surgery was one of the best choices I've made in my whole life.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:06:17 PM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

skihippy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:19:50 PM »
Thanks to all for the advise. Going for the pre-op tomorrow. I guess that I should ask them for a discount, if they want their money up front. Not used to being treated like a deadbeat; maybe they should check my credit rating.

Thanks for the info.... helps as to how to approach the situation.

Neild5

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »
Most doctors don't have credit report access and a lot of medical bills don't show on the credit report.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »
I used dr r also.  They made me pay prior too, for all appointments and surgery.
I am 11 months out and I would say that this is really a minor thing.  Don't let it get to you, you are going in for surgery save your energy.  What day r u going in?
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »
I'm a Dr. Gross hippy, and they also require payment of the deductible up front.  I am not sure if the best doctors will give you a discount on this...they have PLENTY of work.  But, it never hurts to ask.  This is standard operating procedure (that's not a pun, but I don't know what it's called.....) these days. 

The hospitals often will give a good discount for prepayment of the deductible, like everyone has said.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

jb46

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
Don't be insulted. Sounds like they all get it up front. I believe you will also get a call from the hospital when you pre-register with them.
I'm 9 days till surgery and just went over billing details with hospital. They will give a 20% prepayment discount, the docs...not so much.
Should be least of your concerns. Good luck and good healing...jb

jb46

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
Sorry, just saw your date of post. If you were 8 days out, you should have had surgery today, or maybe tomorrow.
Hope to hear soon how well it went...jb

lori.36

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
Skihippy,
Are you going in for surgery tomorrow?  Big day, hope you have a nice dinner and a good nights sleep.  I hope you get a nice room at the BCH, I loved my stay.  Keep us updated.  Fx
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Baby Barista

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
So what if a person had an HSA? It offers tax advantaged savings for healthcare spending. But unlike an FSA, you cannot spend the money in the HSA before it has been fully funded. Sounds to me like those people with HSA's would be SOL... and that really doesn't seem right at all. It sounds like many of you have paid up front, but that doesn't make it ok.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat