+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much walking should i be doing?  (Read 2705 times)

wriggra

How much walking should i be doing?
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »
I'm 12 days post op and progressing quite slowly, but improving every day. I've been browsing this forum tonight and read lots of stories of people not needing crutches after 2 weeks, walking 1 mile using only a cane etc. I am not really walking any great distances, just pottering around the house. I wasn't really advised about how much I should do in hospital just told 4 weeks with crutches then 2 weeks with a cane.

Should I be trying to do more? I'm not getting paid whilst I am off work, so whatever gets me back to my desk job quickest is what I'm after, whether that means pushing myself a bit more or taking it easy & rest.

Grant

Sarplummer

Re: How much walking should i be doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
I had my hip resurfaced March 23.  I am up to walking three miles with crutches.   I tried using one crutch but I was off balance.  When I am at home I don't really use them at all except on the stairs.  I am also doing PT three times a day on my own and I imagine that is making my muscles stronger too!  Good luck and I think it's important to listen to your body as far as distance goes.  I am new to this and it seems protocol is different for every doctor.  I am just so happy to not have the constant grinding pain I was experiencing before surgery!!! :)
Sarah
Sarah

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:06:29 PM »
Every persons recovery is different, and now after having the 2nd hip done, each hip may be very diferent, mine sure were.   Listen to your body and do what your Dr recommends, and don't do the things they advise you not to do, and you'll be fine very soon.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
Did your doctor say 100% weight bearing?

Those that progress slowly are sometimes those who are not putting the time in to rehab their hips or those who are having some issue with their operation ie: pain, clunking etc, of course everyone is different and some do not rehab as quickly. 

If you are allowed 100% weight bearing you can walk while putting more and more weight and then listen to your body, if you're hurting bad then back off.

By all means though, listen to your doctor as none of us are doctors and we do now know your history anyhow.

One thing you have to remember, you are < two weeks post op and you are very early in recovery.

Chuck

I'm 12 days post op and progressing quite slowly, but improving every day. I've been browsing this forum tonight and read lots of stories of people not needing crutches after 2 weeks, walking 1 mile using only a cane etc. I am not really walking any great distances, just pottering around the house. I wasn't really advised about how much I should do in hospital just told 4 weeks with crutches then 2 weeks with a cane.

Should I be trying to do more? I'm not getting paid whilst I am off work, so whatever gets me back to my desk job quickest is what I'm after, whether that means pushing myself a bit more or taking it easy & rest.

Grant
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »
Chuck is right.  Take what we say as secondary to your surgeon at best.

Find out about any weight bearing restrictions from your surgeon first.  If none, then do your exercises 3x per day, and walk as far as you're allowed each day.  I think the walking gave me the biggest improvements in my rehab., and I felt I could do more.  But, my surgeon says keep it under 1.5 miles for 6 weeks, so I did.

Good luck.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Arrojo

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »
Dr. Su says to keep it under 5 miles for the first month.  I am 2 weeks post-op and walked 1.5 miles today on one crutch.  I guess every surgeon is different!
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM