+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre-op preparation  (Read 2141 times)

protruck14

Pre-op preparation
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
I'm 55 years old and getting ready for surgery in a few months. I'm getting the BHR. I have been told some things already about getting the house ready. Any suggestions for getting ready ahead of time would be much appreciated. I want to be as prepared as I can. I live alone and my house is all on one floor except for 4 steps to get in. I have a few friends and neighbors to help out.
Thank You.
Protruck 14

stephen1254

Re: Pre-op preparation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »
You will spend a fair amount of time getting into a chair and getting out of a chair. I would practice that with your bad leg straight out in front of you and not bending beyond 90 degrees. Making up some ice packs ahead of time is a good idea. Use 1 cup rubbing alcohol to 3 cups water inside a gallon Zip-Loc inside a second gallon Zip-Loc. It doesn't hurt to get a cane now and practice using it.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
Welcome, Protruck, and good luck.

Here are a few things on the top of my head.

1.  Do you have a recliner (Lay-Z-Boy)?  That was my favorite, most comfortable place to be for the first two weeks.  If not, get or rent one.

2.  Set up a small table nearby, where you can keep your a) remote control, b) a drink, c) a laptop or iPad, d) books/magazines.  You'll want to stay put and off of your feet, initially.

3.  Icing:  You'll need to ice constantly post-op, pretty much for two straight weeks.  Have enough handy so that there's always a cold pack available.  If you get a polar ice machine (Dr. Gross patients typically get one), you'll need a LOT of ice to keep it cold.

4.  Rugs and clutter:  I didn't have any issues with throw rugs tripping me up, but I also had my wife around to get me things, and my dad came in to help for the first 2 1/2 weeks.  If you're by yourself, you may want to clear the floors.

5.  Raised toilet seat.  It it a necessary curse.  I hated it, but can't imagine getting down/up from the toilet in the first 4-5 weeks.

6.  You need other aids for daily living:  something to put on socks, a grabber is handy for when something falls on the floor, a sponge-on-a-stick for showering (to get at your lower legs).

There is a lot of good information here  http://www.grossortho.com/hipinfo13.htm, even if Dr. Gross is not your surgeon.

I'm sure some other single folks will chime in.  The more help you can get, the better (for about 10-14 days).
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
The toilet seat riser, the grabber thingy and getting food that is easy to prepare are most important.  A recliner chair is great.  If not, use a lot of pillows under your legs when you are laying I bed. Toes above the nose is the rule.  Some people ice a lot if they have swelling.  You won’t be an invalid, but moving slowly.  Putting shoes and socks on are difficult.  So slide ons are best.  Having a friend stop in for the first few days will help.  Use a plastic bag on the car seat so you can sit and then rotate easily.  Often in the kitchen you can use the counter as support with one had while using one crutch so you can do things.

Good Luck with your surgery.  I look forward to your posts as you recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:40:39 PM »
Below is my list of must haves:
  • Recliner Chair
    iPad
    Table by my chair
    Ice pads
    Ginger Ale (I was pretty nauseated)
    Toilet seat raiser
    Grabber
    Comfortable slippers (uggs)
    loose fitting sweat pants (I had lots of swelling)
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
My additions to all of the above:

• All chargers of any kind on the kitchen counter.
  • All food / drink containers of import on the front of the fridge, top two shelves.
  • The grabber and the sock putter onner.
  • Room to maneuver next to the tub / shower.
  • A good footrest to rest your leg on if you aren't using a recliner.
  • A good list of friends to call when your time is free.
  • Reconnoiter for a good flat area to walk on with crutches for the first couple of weeks.
  • Find a mall or some area to walk in after the first couple of weeks, when you can drive.
  • (For me) many DVDs / Blurays to soak up some time.
  • Stretchy laces for sneakers. This allowed me to use my sneakers but slip them on and still have good support.

I live alone too, and all of these played a big part in recuperating properly (twice). All of the advice given is great, but don't neglect having people to talk to and depend on. I had three or four, all were needed, since you're going through major surgery and will need support. Of course we're here, so lean on us too.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
In addition, I'd suggest thinking about the transport home from the hospital.  What car and you might even practice getting in and out a bit while trying to keep your "to-be-operated" leg straight.  I rearranged the van a bit for the long ride home.  I suppose if it's a short ride, you might not need to do much to get comfortable.  Also,

Make a bunch of burritos and have them ready for microwaving, also yogurt for getting the guts back in shape
Maybe a light knapsack thing for carrying things around the house with you when you're on crutches,
Definitely get someone to help you around the house for the first couple days, getting in and out of bed is going to be a little tricky, but doable (slowly)
Pee bottle? (depending on your gender), the urinal they give you at the hospital will be 10 times more expensive than an apple juice jug, but with a 10 times more leaky lid than your average threaded juice jug lid.  Just rememeber to lable the lid with a "P".  Wouldn't want any mix ups while trying to stay hydrated.
Most definitely get the raised toilet seat.   

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »
Get a good stack of movies for your DVD player, a few good books and get into playing Xbox 360. Make sure you have friends coming over on a regular and don't forget the snacks.  Good luck!
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

protruck14

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. i will use them all to get ready.

Pat........my surgery is set for 7/16. I saw Dr. Jinnah last week and his assitant Ann told me she was very familiar with your website and all the good work you have done. That made me feel good and I hope you too.

Protruck14

Arrojo

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »
And work out as best you can! You really need upper body strength to help you get in and out of bed and chairs. do push ups sit ups pull-ups and other core exercises. You should be training for this surgery as best you can, including aerobic fitness.

Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:32:40 PM by Arrojo »
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat