+-

Author Topic: Paranoia  (Read 2012 times)

Jbennett

Paranoia
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »
Anybody else worry excessively about their device? I'm feeling a little paranoid today. Had trouble sleeping the last few nights. Probably because I quit taking any pain meds but tylenol. Worried my discomfort isn't normal. I'm worried that things feel like OA. Could the cup have slipped? Is it a deep infection I can't see on the outside? Does my wound heel hotter than normal body temp? Did I do too much too soon ditching crutches in the first week? On and on. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks post op. already tired of the recovery. Ready to be done and back playing tennis and working out. I might be a little depressed too. I think being on all those narcotics foe a couple weeks messed with my head a little and not being able to work as much or as long as usual is contributing as well.
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

poppydan

Re: Paranoia
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »
I don't think that you're being paranoid at all. Your anxiety is probably just related to normal recovery  My BHR was done on 3-30-12, and I was a little concerned that it would not  work out "right". Dr. Brooks did mine, and I still have to be on crutches another 4 weeks. I'm unable to go to work, and I find myself bored, blue and thinking about "what ifs". My plan is to try and focus on what I can control now and try not to let the insecurities get to me.

Good Luck,

Poppydan

mslendzion

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »
I just hit 4 months and worring about the same: did it move,  was it in the right place in the first place, do I have an infection, am I starting to get a bad reaction to the metals, are the metal ions wearing away causing my pain, why is my range of motion still limited, am I excerising too much, am I not excercising enough, am I doing the right excercises.

I hope it is normal to worry and it goes away soon.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

luann again

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:02:41 AM »
I think it is totally normal as long as it doesn't rule or ruin your life. Just today, I was worrying about my hip (it's been nearly 2 years since my surgery) because I went for a short hike and it was a little stiff and sore! Then I realized how silly I was. Heck, with all the Oregon rain and bad weather... it's been about 7 months since I've been on any kind of a hike!!!!  I think my muscles have weakened over the winter. I will just have to take a little Advil and work up to it. And by the way, I DO stay active all year, just different activities than hiking (stationary bike, horseback riding- under cover of course!).
 When I was a new HR hippy, I had good days and not so good days all the time. I think it is just part of the healing process. I am still healing at 2 years out. Be calm and do your best to heal and get strong without pushing it too much. Everyone on this site healed at different rates. Good Luck. Just remind yourself of how depressed and worried you'd be if you lived in a time when hip replacement was not even an option!!!!! Thank goodness for modern medicine!! Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

imgetinold

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:34:32 PM »
IMHO....totally normal to worry.  I'm 3.5 months out, and I worry about every groin pain.  But, you're only 3.5 weeks.......that is really, really early, and pain/discomfort are still very much part of the game.  Try to re-set your expectation maybe......understanding that this is a year-long recovery to be 100%.  It is depressing at times....for sure.  I found that once I reached the six week point - and could walk more, do the exercise bike, etc. - that my disposition was better.  Hang in there.....do your exercises.  It'll keep improving.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
Completely normal to worry and even to feel down.

You're going through a lot, so both the worry and ups and downs are normal. Focus on the positive and if you need to, talk to someone to help you through this - I spoke with a counselor for several things, but this was definitely one of them. You're healing in a lot of ways, help yourself however you can.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Arrojo

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
There is nothing you can do about whatever is or isn't going on in there.  Everything I have read on this site boils down to two things that could ever go horribly wrong: a femoral neck fracture or a slipped cup.  And, as I understand it, both involve excruciating pain.  So, if all you have is a lot of soreness and pain, but nothing excruciating, then you have a choice.  You can be paranoid that something is seriously wrong or you can be an optimist and believe in your doctors, your PT, your nurse, the friends and information on this site.  I choose to be optimistic. 

Because again there is nothing you can do about whatever is or isn't going on in there (unless you are so paranoid you need to seek x-rays for reassurance).

You are fine.  :)
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

WTW15

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
Us January Hippies (Imgetinold, Mslendzion, myself and others) are now understanding all that Hernanu and Dan and all those that went before us were saying - PATIENCE - and it gets better.   Those first few weeks I (we) were doing exactly what you are doing- sitting at home, trying to heal, trying to do the home PT and it hurt and didn't feel like it was doing much, some of us were snow-bound and not even able to get outside much, and sitting here reading every single post on here.  But we  are through that first 3 months and it looks like all are doing well.  Looking back, amazed at the progress.  Even our Bi-lats from Jan are doing good. 

Don't be paranoid, have faith and patience.  Hard to do when we are all saying you "get your life back" Yes you do - just small steps.  You'll look back in 3 months and be amazed! 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

mslendzion

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:13:34 AM »
I'm much happier now than before the operation.  Even if I did not get any better than I am now at almost 4 months, I could live like this without issue.  Compared to the before picture I'm pain free and can walk normally.  My strenght gets better daily.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats