+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 Weeks Out and I Couldn't Help it  (Read 9980 times)

triathlete98

Re: 10 Weeks Out and I Couldn't Help it
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2012, 08:54:10 AM »
Been following this thread a lot, lots of good points.  I think, for me personally, the "just because you can doesn't mean you should", philosophy is the most sound.  My biggest hurddle has been all the soft tissue damage.  From dislocating the hip, to cutting through the glutes, detactching muscles, etc., six months would be about the recovery time if no incision and arthroplasty was done.  Add that, well for me, its going to be at least a year before I attempt to run.  Mostlly, I don't want to develop bad habits from running too soon, or doing anything too soon.  My Dr. cleared me for full weight bearing from day 1 and said let pain be my guide.  His stance on running, not so good but its my hip.  Now that I have my new hip I find myself torn between returning to Ironman's and just being active.  But I won't begin to attempt to run until one year post op.  All that muscle damage has to heal, then it has to be built up, then it has to be stressed to prepare it to run.  Now, two miles, I don't think that is going to be a problem for hipnhop.  I know many others have done Ironman's post op 6,8 months.  My thing is I've done plenty of Ironman's and I don't need to limp through a 14 hour ordeal.  My next Ironman will be trying to qualify for Hawaii and it will be done when my body is going to be as good as it gets.  my two cents worth.

David

Re: 10 Weeks Out and I Couldn't Help it
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2012, 10:00:51 AM »
I have to agree with you on those statements tri98.  I had the "bust out of the gate" mentality at the onset of recovery.  I am almost glad that I had some soft tissue/fascia issues that slowed me down for a while.  Feeling much more comfortable now that those issues are resolving and a little more healing time has passed.  I've done numerous IM's and have no desire to do the slog finish as well.  I do however have the desire to go back to Hawaii one more time if the body allows me to properly train at my potential.  Going to continue to train like the turtle in hope I turn into the hare...
Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat