+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 12 year old 8days post op  (Read 3509 times)

momofAlec

12 year old 8days post op
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »
Well...he is 8 days post OP and hanging in there. Alec is discouraged with the amount of incision pain he is experiencing but he is still in less pain than before surgery! He is scared to go back to Missouri next week because the doctors there helped cause the problem and said the amount of pain he was in was in his head. He has had so many simple surgeries go wrong that he is scared which is understandable. His surgery was on a Wednesday and he was in the hospital until Monday. He had to get a point of blood Saturday and another point on Sunday...I would say this was and will be his worst Easter ever! We have gone to an Indians game and a day of shopping which hasn't happened in so long! The potholes used to send what felt like knives intro his joint and he its now able to ride in the car without tears! Overall I would say we are moving in the right direction. Any words of wisdom to tell him when the incision pain will lesson? He didn't walk before the surgery for about 3 months so I've told him his muscles have to relearn everything! I am pretty sure he is the youngest patient in the united states but I could be wrong.

Baby Barista

Re: 12 year old 8days post op
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:53:20 PM »
Days 5-9 were the peak of my pain. Though my pain was mostly in the muscles surrounding the incision area. Everyone is different, but barring any complications, I would guess that his pain should improve within the next 48-72 hours. What is he taking for pain management at this point?

All the best to your son in his recovery. Tell him this grown man was brought to tears more than once by the pain and I have no shame in admitting it. He'll be feeling better soon.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:29:02 AM »
I had a really torrid time at the start and my in incission pain subsidded around 10-14 days. The oxy's I had did nothing for my pain. Time,ice and rest are the key.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:31:06 AM »
He is very early in recovery, he'll probably have some discomfort for a few more weeks, but, the pain will or should continue to lessen more and more.  Ice down the area that always helps too.

I hope he's in rehab for the walking, especially since he's been off his feet for so long.

Tell we said welcome to hippyland, this is a very special group.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

lori.36

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
I uSed an icing machine for 3 weeks.  I would ice every 20 minutes for 20 minutes, then take a 20 minute walk, then back to icing.  Try to get him to walk and ice then time will heal.
Hugs to you Mom, you are a pillar.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

David

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
The second week was the worst for me with the incision and surrounding soreness.  Ice and gentle, gentle massage around the area. Keep moving and walk as much as tolerated.  Every day will be better than the day before soon Alec...
Best...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
So good to hear from you and that it went right, I was praying for you and I don't do that much.

Like all of the other hippies have mentioned, the incision pain is transient, but it is there and has to be dealt with. We all went through it, and although it passes fairly quickly, the best thing for me was to ice, elevate the leg, sleep with a pillow or two under both legs at my knee and take whatever meds are needed.

He'll need to ice consistently for a while, both for the initial surgical healing and for the longer term recuperation of both bones and muscles. He also needs to be active, despite the soreness, as a matter of fact, it's a way to improve and get rid of that soreness. Is he doing physical therapy? I found it critical for my recuperation, especially to deal with the smaller stabilizing muscles. Those are important to get strong before he thinks of going back to sports or any other activity like that. That will happen, but he needs to get himself healed and then strong (healed first, strong second).

He also needs to eat well (I'm sure you have this down), since his body is going to be on the prowl for anything that will help him recuperate. I was on multivitamins and eating up a storm, drinking tons of water, and walking on my crutches all over. Hopefully you've got nice weather so he can do his walking.

Sorry to dump all this on you, I'm just happy to hear of a good outcome. He's already seeing the benefits of not having that pain anymore, now things will just get better every day.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

momofAlec

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »
He is icing it but probably not as often as he should. He is doing therapy at least twice a week. We fly back to Missouri on Thursday... He has dillaudid and oxycodone that he takes for pain but he had been on them since August so they aren't helping him much. He also has muscle relaxers for his spasms. He and I are both anxious for him to be off them. We have been to the movies, aquarium and the mall...where we haven't done any of that since August! He was in the wheelchair for all it but getting in and out off the truck, working with therapy and the ultra sound wore him out! Tomorrow his goal is to walk and ice more. Thanks for all your responses!As for eating...for the 2 months prior he had only been able to keep down strawberry smoothies because the pain was so extreme he was nausea...he has been starving the part few days! If it isn't moving...well he might just eat it! We will make better food choices when we get home but as for now...we are at the mercy of whatever they feed ;) us at the Ronald McDonald house!

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »
I think it all sounds good. Let him eat, his body will sort it out. Good choices can come later, just happiness and turning things around is probably good now. He'll be worn out a lot, I know I was, so he can expect a lot of boom and bust for the first few weeks.

I wouldn't let him drive right away though  ;D as much as he wants to be cool  8)

He'll be off the pain meds soon enough, this is real healing that is happening, his body will take over in time, now he just needs to do whatever is needed to get his body going.

Happy for you.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
I am sorry I did not respond earlier.  I was in Columbus with a friend that had an 8 hour back surgery Tue.  Just got back from Columbus.  Since Alec was in a wheelchair for 3 months, it will take time to get him back into any kind of normal walking mode.  Unfortunately, patience is what is needed and at his age, I know that is difficult.  I wish they could do more for his pain.  People don't heal well while in pain.  I assume you have talked with the surgeon about that. 

I certainly would let him eat whatever he wants at this point.  Protein is helpful for healing, but anything is better than nothing.  If he stays nauseauted, make sure you talk to the doctor about it.  Sometimes pain meds can cause stomach ulcers and problems, then you can get a bacteria infection that can make you nauseated.  I had a friend that could not eat for months until they figured it out.  The lesson is anytime something like pain or nausea goes on and on, you need to get the doctors to figure it out or change doctors.

I wish him good luck and hope this summer will be better for him.  It is not easy for a 12 year old to go thru this and I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

fenceman

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
I will also say a prayer for you guys.  You have been through a lot.  I am sure Dr. Brooks did a great job.  Hopefully Alec can get off the heavy pain killers soon.  I was not myself until I stopped the Oxycodone. The zoo and the Natural History Museum are worth seeing in Cleveland if you have the time.

Bill

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »
Good to hear that you guys are coming along.  I still have a hard time thinking about a child in this situation, but you might be surprised, Alec might recover faster than many of us just because of his age.  I agree on the ice, I think that's the best for controlling some of the pain closer to the surface and I wouldn't worry about the food at this point.  Actually I wouldn't worry about the food until he's 31 or so.  ;)

Hang in there.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Jbennett

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »
Hang in there. It will get better. I'm a month out and the muscles still hurt. So sorry he has to deal with this.
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
Also very sorry not to have responded sooner, been thinking about you and Alex.  It seems you should be about 2 weeks out at this point, hope he is feeling better.  The first couple weeks for an adult is super taxing, for a 12 year old it has to be much more difficult.  That is alot of blood.  It does get better rapidly after the second week.  If he is able to work through the appropriate exercises from Dr. Brooks for a person in his situation, that should really help, once he is able.

I iced continuously in the first few weeks, rotating them in and out of the freezer every couple of hours, it numbs the incision nicely. 

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

momofAlec

Re: 12 year old 8days post op Now 16 days post op
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
Well..he was doing good on Tuesday and Wednesday...We finally were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. When we got on the plane to come home yesterday he said he had a burning that went down to his knee...by the time we landed at home it was a burning down to his ankle. I've started him back on his Nuerotin/Gabapentin  and am hoping we start to have that go away. He was feeling pretty energetic and excited to move around for a couple of days at least! I know his hip is doing good...now if we can this nerve stuff to go away he will be feeling great! This kid has to catch a break soon!!!!! I've got a surprise party scheduled for him next Friday...so keep your fingers crossed he is feeling good enough to enjoy it!

momofAlec

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »
I forgot to mention that we saw Dr. Brooks Tuesday and he was very proud of Alec and said he was one for the record books! He thought he was doing great and working hard!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »
Thank You for the update.  I hope Alec will be pain free and back to a normal life soon. I wish him the best of luck and look forward to hearing any updates.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mslendzion

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
Ditto
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 06:51:05 AM »
I think there's plenty of fingers crossed here for him. Thanks for the update.

lori.36

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
Good morning Alec's Mom,

The pain that is going down the side of his leg is normal, if it is what I had.  The IT Band  gets super tight.  I got a massage to relieve the stress.  Talk to his PT and they will work on it.  So happy for your family.  Is he starting to walk and eat? You are in my thoughts.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM