+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgeons for BHR in the San Francisco Bay Area  (Read 2899 times)

AdRoc

Surgeons for BHR in the San Francisco Bay Area
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have recently found out that I'm going to need a new hip.  BHR is what has been recommended to me, and I'm now in the process of searching for the right surgeon to perform the operation.

Bit about me... I'm 38, in reasonably good shape, been very active lately (was training for a marathon before the hip pain became too much), like to play hockey, bike ride, etc.  Problem is, I have osteoarthritis in both hips with some pretty gnarly spurring.  Had a left hip scope in 2009, but things have progressed to the point that joint replacement is imminent for the left hip.

The ortho that suggested BHR to me is Dr. Hartford at PAMF in Palo Alto.  Anyone have good experience with him?

Other docs I've found are:
- Dr. Miller @ Stanford
- Dr.Callander @ California Pacific Medical Center
- Dr. Wolfson

If anyone has any information or experience with these docs, I would certainly appreciate hearing about it.

I also wouldn't mind going elsewhere in CA if it was the right doc, so would appreciate hearing any other recommendations.

Thanks!

stephen1254

Re: Surgeons for BHR in the San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:51 AM »
I had a right BHR done by Dr. Callander 16 days ago. He has a very good attitude and is very confident in his ability to produce a good outcome. I've been walking without any assistance devices for 3 days now, and I attribute that, at least in part, to the relative lack of trauma caused by the operation.

That's a relative lack of pain - I'm still a long way from fully healed.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

OtterDriver

Re: Surgeons for BHR in the San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »
Hello AdRoc! 

I can ditto Stephen's observations.  I traveled from Alaska to see Dr. Callander.  I've just passed the six month mark and things have gone very well for me.  Not running any marathons, but currently having "fun" trenching around my foundation for an insulation upgrade...the joys of home ownership!

Have not heard of the other two you mention.

Bruce

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat