+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Squeakapalooza  (Read 5111 times)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Squeakapalooza
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
Had a rather humorous thing happen last Friday night, after a bit of moderate work outside, while firing up a campfire in the 30 something weather in Western NY's grape juice belt, my October hip started to squeak, LOUDLY, and continued squeaking for 2-3 hours, every time I stepped up, or sat down/up from my comfy chair in front of the fire.  This is not the first time this has been reported here, and is often thought to be the result of dehydration, but even after drinking a lot of water, and a couple cold ones (yes, I know those will tend to dehydrate) it surely continued.

For me, the sound is much closer to the sound of running a wet finger around the rim of a crystal glass partially filled with water, versus say a squeaky floorboard.  First time it happens one thinks, "Is that me"; thereafter, I confess to some ongoing chuckles as it continued.  No pain or discomfort whatsoever, and it did not go away until after I got up in the morning.

Boomer: I think this may be a side effect of trying to use the "fun" hip and "work" hip in close time proximity, but I'm not sure, or perhaps I voided the warranty on one of the buggers by crossing the allowable streams of fun and work.  Damn.

Dan

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Boomer

Re: Squeakapalooza
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »
Dan,

I tried to warn you about putting your play hip to work. You may be able to convince your play hip to do a little light labor once it's fully healed, but you need to stick to play only for the first twelve months. And, if you are even thinking of working in the cold, be sure to lubricate your hips with something that is at least 70 proof and made in Tennessee of Kentucky. Good god man! No wonder your hip is squeaking.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

mslendzion

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:13 PM »
It would be interesting to post the sound bites of our squeaking hips on this sit to get a comparrison of the different types of noises we can make with our new hips.  We could make hip music (get it, HIP music).
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »
Could call it "What is Hip?" (apologies to Tower of Power).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »
I am absolutely going to record it if/when it happens again, fantastic idea!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »
I am really feeling left out.  I have not had my hip squeak once.  Not even a little bit.  Either that or I am really hard of hearing.  By the description you guys have given it sounds (pun intended) that it is pretty noticeable.  I have worked out pretty hard at times.  Even though I don't think I hydrate enough maybe I am doing better than I thought.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

WTW15

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
Do others hear this?  Or is it one of those 'because it's happening to me, no one else really hears (cares)" deals? 

Tennessee or Kentucky Lube - will remember that Boomer.  And I have to put my fun hip to a little work this weekend.  I hope it doesn't talk back. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
I had it once and I thought I saw a poll on here about it.  Maybe it was tossed in with the clunking poll. 

For me, it was not audible to others, it was however a vibration rubbing type feeling very similar to the finger on crystal wine glass, but without an obvious squeak.  I suppose if someone put their ear up to my hip, they may actually have heard it.  The cause was probably a combo of drinking the night before downhill skiiing, then downhill skiing, followed by digging in heavy wet snow while on my knees for hours.  It went away after a night of rehydration and rest.

I didn't like the feeling, didn't hurt, I just didn't want to know that maybe there was no lube or that I maybe did something wrong. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dan L

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »
It happened again last night, to the 7 month old BHR, this time witnessed by my wife, good laughs had by all.  Similar scenario following moderately difficult work outside, including bending, probably dehydration to some degree, no pain etc.  Gone in the morning.

There is a study published on this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2919861 , suugests it is not associated with revisions, or other bad things.  Interesting reading.

Dan

Neild5

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 02:42:34 PM »
Mine have only sqeaked once after sitting in one postion for too long.  It sounded like a old rusty barn door.  If it comes back I will look into that special lube as it sounds better than WD-40!
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

blkhank

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »
Great! Here I thought that squeaking was my shoes  ;D I guess I have something to look forward too.

I taught my horse some tricks with using a clicker before I found out I need a hip. I've been  afraid (lol) that I'd start clicking at the wrong time and my horse would start his tricks at a bad time.    :D

Dan L

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 06:21:54 AM »
I had another instance of squeaking last weekend while planting some trees (bare root), and perennials, and hauling dirt around.  I found that drinking a pitcher of gatorade-like drink over a hour or so made it stop.  Seems to confirm the idea that dehydration is the cause.  Easy enough to fix.

Dan

KurtS

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
My left hip has squeaked from time to time (LBHR 2007), but never consistently till this week. I did some work on my car on Sunday, which put me is some positions I haven't been in for a long time. While moving around I heard a fairly load clunk/squeak. Since then, I've been hearing it when ever I bend with more weight on that left hip. And now a little pain. I'm very good about being hydrated and am an active person. It just a little curious that it is lasting this long.

Great part is I'm now able to make it squeak on demand and completely grossed out all my co-works. I'm just waiting for the right hip (RBHR 2008) to start so I can harmonize and make beautiful music.
BHR Left-June 7, 2007
BHR Right-October 28, 2008

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:45:19 PM »
Is squeaking to be expected? When I played with a BHR in McMinns office it was smooth as you like when dry so it would worry me if it squeaked. Also if you were so dehydrated that you had no fluid in your joints then surely you would notice other things? Like dry eyes for example and dry mouth?

Mentioned squeaking to my Bro who had LBHR 12 years ago and is a big Karate man(awarded 3rd Dan in December)and he looked at me strange and laughed.
He thought I was making it up.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
Happens sometimes to some of us, Jason - it seems to be associated with dehydration of sorts and as to other causes??

If it doesn't die off, I'd ask the surgeon, Kurt but so long as it's temporary, I'd enjoy the symphony and serenade your friends.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
Kurt's comments ring a bell.  This happened to me back a few months when I was doing a lot of bending at the waist, moving a huge woodpile away from the house, weeding badly overgrown flower beds, etc.  Movements of which I have not done in that volume since.  Sounds dumb, but  wonder if dehydration plus postural motions that may "squeeze" the synovial fluid out of the joint leads to this.

It really does happen, and it is funny (to me) whenever it does.

dan

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »
I await my first squeek with baited breath. :)
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

KurtS

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
Happens sometimes to some of us, Jason - it seems to be associated with dehydration of sorts and as to other causes??

If it doesn't die off, I'd ask the surgeon, Kurt but so long as it's temporary, I'd enjoy the symphony and serenade your friends.

Well, I'm done "making" it squeak. Because it actually cause a little discomfort from doing that. I've made an appointment to see my surgeon (Dr. Panek). We'll see what he says. I'm thinking of adding a zerk that I can attach a hose and apply some protein based lubricant.

BHR Left-June 7, 2007
BHR Right-October 28, 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat