+-

Author Topic: 3-1/2 year update  (Read 3091 times)

B.I.L.L.

3-1/2 year update
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:58:18 AM »
Just wanted to give you all an update on how it's going at a little past 3-1/2 years. Heres a quick recap for some of you newer guys and girls. Sept 08 got rt hip resufaced, was having a slow recovery and at 6 months they (Kaiser) wanted to revise to a thr due to a steep cup angle. Several other doctors said it's not that steep and to just leave it and keep an eye on the ions. 2-1/2 years out I was having some swelling and after extracting some milky sinovial fluid they wanted to revise again. 2nd and 3rd opinions said that milky fluid is a sign of inflamation that could be caused from over-use, and if it was failing the fluid would be almost black, take it easy for awhile and wait it out, so I did. The last 6 months or so it has been good ! It still will get a little swolen and sore from time to time but I am a happy camper 8) .  Looking back I think there are a few things that held me back. In no particular order, 1. My incision is huge compared to pretty much everyone else I talk to, I think my doc cut through more muscles, tendons, and whatever else they need to get through to get in there than most others. 2. I also think I waited so long for the surgery that my muscles and range of motion were waay behind where they should have been before the surgery. 3. My pt after the surgery was very limited. I discovered this by talking to alot of people who did all kind of things for their pt that I never even heard of, I was given a list of some exercises to do but was pretty much on my own and clueless. 4. The cup is around 65 degrees and shallow, so my hip sticks out a little further on the right side and is slightly longer. (I believe) the muscles had to be re-trained to compensate for the slightly off-kilter geometry. I don't know this for a fact, but it took me a long time before my foot pointed straight and I still have to think about keeping it straight, the natural tendancy for it is to point inward, still fighting that. 5. As soon as I could I was back at work (cleaning pools) and never gave my hip any recovery time, just right back into the same routine that wore out the first one, and I started back on norcos so I could work all day and pay the bills. (Having this surgery while being self employed with no paid time off or disability dictated pushing through days when I should have rested) I am jealous of the people who get paid time off to recover, it would have been awesome to be able to concentrate more on pt, stretching and resting for 6 to 8 weeks without the pressure of having to make money. (I love being self employed and have no regrets about it, but not sweating work for a month or so would have been nice. That was my choice though, like I said no regrets)  6. I am overweight, since the surgery I have lost 12-15 pounds and can honestly say every pound off seems to help, I still need to dump about another 15 pounds.  Besides dumping a few pounds, I also hired on another guy to help with the commercial pool cleaning, I still do a few but I don't have to go full throttle for 8+ hours a day. Carrying the equipment, opening and closing gates with my legs, getting up and down and kneeling on concrete all day, and the constant pivoting was killing me. I also eat better, take vitamins and try to drink a gallon of water a day minimum, and stretch nightly before bed, and try to get at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night (that seems to be hard for me, I don't know why) Those are the lifestyle changes that seem to be helping.  The things that still bother me are sitting for extended periods of time, standing still for any length of time, and lifting heavy things. I can walk almost all day, up and down hills whatever, but standing in a line for 15 minutes bothers it for some reason, I think it's due to the different leg lengths, I'm constantly shifting my weight from one side to the other. I've lifted way more than I should lots of times (100+lbs.) and that seems to bother it so I don't lift anything heavy if I can help it anymore, I feel like an old man but oh well. Other than those minor things I have been charging !
 My wife and I just had our 25th anniversary and spent 3 days hiking in Yosemite and 2 days walking around San Francisco. It was a trip we had been talking about taking since before the surgery and finally pulled it off. We did Hearst Castle, several waterfalls in Yosemite, one of em (Nevada falls) was a 7 mile hike with a 1900' elevation change, we did it in 4 hours ! Walked around Chinatown in San Francisco, rode on the outside of the trolley cars, and had a great time without being held back by my hip at all, (first time in 10+years) Since the surgery I took 3rd place in a bodysurfing contest, and have been racing motocross or riding in the desert at least twice a month. We've been going on hikes or ride bikes on the non motorcycle weekends. All in all life has been pretty good lately, and I cannot tell you how good it feels to post something positive in here 8)  Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope you are all doing well !

B.I.L.L.

Re: 3-1/2 year update
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:23:11 AM »
Sorry that got so long winded, heres a couple shots from our trip 8)

Uuhh no comment on these two....boys will be boys hahaha. The ticket was for 80mph, I got lucky !!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:24:44 AM by B.I.L.L. »

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »
Bill,

So glad to hear you are doing so well, hope this continues to improve for you buddy.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »
Bill

Glad to hear things are settling down for you and you are getting active without pain.  Thanks for sharing your story so others can learn. 

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary.  The photos are great.  Thanks again and Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
Congrats Bill, really glad that not taking those THRs worked out.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

OtterDriver

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the update B.I.L.L.!  (Is it Bill...or does that stand for "Bultaco Is Losing Laps!"?)

Glad to read a positive report.  Apparently your Ion Levels were never a problem?

Bruce

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
Nice job and I'm happy for you.  It sure feels good to be able to walk and not have pain and I can imagine with some of the issues you posted awhile ago, being resolved, must really feel good.  I remember walking from Japantown to Fisherman's wharf, up telegraph hill, to downtown and then back to Japantown, the April before comitting to surgery.  That pretty much sucked, but I wasn't going to give in.

BTW - you sure cleaned that Roman pool nicely.  ;)
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
Thanks for the update B.I.L.L.!  (Is it Bill...or does that stand for "Bultaco Is Losing Laps!"?)

Glad to read a positive report.  Apparently your Ion Levels were never a problem?

Bruce

Who knows, the one doc was concerned because of the rate it climbed in a year, but then 2 other opinions said don't sweat it yet so... who knows. It's been been good lately so I'm gonna stop looking for problems unless I start having issues. I'm due to check them again in about 8 months. They want to check it annually. We shall see.  Hey Tin I asked if they had upgraded the pool to a  salt system and put modern equipment in, the tour guide told me "No, we don't get algae because the water is so pure from the spring it comes from that there is no algae..."  Hahahaha riiiiight........ "ok whatever you say"  hahaha.

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
Great report BILL.  I am glad you got second and third opinions before resorting to a THR.

Congratuations on the 25th anniversary.  Great pictures!  Yes, it does look like you could lose 15 more pounds at least...wait....that's not a picture of you on the sand basking in the sun?   ;D

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mslendzion

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing your hip updates and mostly the pictures.  It looks like you had an awesome vaction, even with the tickets, looked to be worth it!
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:29:56 AM »
Great report BILL.  I am glad you got second and third opinions before resorting to a THR.

Congratuations on the 25th anniversary.  Great pictures!  Yes, it does look like you could lose 15 more pounds at least...wait....that's not a picture of you on the sand basking in the sun?   ;D

Dan

Yeah thats me, I look pretty good huh ? You should see me swim !!, and yes I am now all about 2nd 3rd and even 4th opinions. It's an uneasy feeling when two "experts" have two completely different plans of action.  Thanks for the kind words everyone  8)

Tim Bratten

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
Hi Bill
Before I ever posted on this site, I was a lurker and used to read your posts with interest after I discovered that my cup was also too steep. Unfortunately for me, I never really had a chance to enjoy any benefits of hip resurfacing, because of the symphony of problems playing against me. Glad to hear things are working better for you! 
Tim
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 05:53:28 AM »
Hi Bill
Before I ever posted on this site, I was a lurker and used to read your posts with interest after I discovered that my cup was also too steep. Unfortunately for me, I never really had a chance to enjoy any benefits of hip resurfacing, because of the symphony of problems playing against me. Glad to hear things are working better for you! 
Tim

Thanks Tim, Your cup came loose right ?  Stories like yours are always in the back of my mind, I'm keeping my fingers crossed... 8)

Kiwi

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 08:47:42 AM »
Thanks for the great read & update Bill. You've been through a lot & deserve a good holiday! Looks like you got that... and a bit more... great pics!
Your story has reinforced why we should always research out options thoroughly & seek 2nd, 3rd, 4th ...opinions.
Cherz
Kiwi
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
Bill, your hip sounds wicked stable now, so I'm wishing you good luck with it, sounds like it's good.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well Bill.  I had mine done one month before yours and have followed your story.  I feel your pain with the lose a little weight thing.  I hope your hip keeps going without any problems.

Bill

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats