+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Improving Appearance of Incision  (Read 1940 times)

stephen1254

Improving Appearance of Incision
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »
While my incision has healed well without infection, it certainly looks like a zipper - attach a pull tab at the top and you could inspect all the work done inside. Is there anything in particular - other than time - that people have done to improve its appearance? I've been lightly massaging the entire area with fingers. My wife suggested Vitamin E oil. Any other ideas?
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

hernanu

Re: Improving Appearance of Incision
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:01:03 PM »
Time mostly, I believe massage or some of the treatments others have mentioned (in due time) would help with scar tissue and any 'gathering' that could happen because of the adhesions.

I've definitely heard of the vitamin E benefits, was advised to do it by one of the nurses at the hospital; I think your wife is probably right.

Embrace the zippers and maybe do a fake zipper tattoo around it? Maybe twin dragons or vines? At 17 + 14 months, mine are is still visible, but much less so than at first. I told someone at the gym that they left those for quick access since I need them oiled every six months. He looked shocked.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
I LOVE the tatoo idea.  I've never been a tatoo person, but would seriously consider that.

Except for the risk of infection, thing.  Maybe I'll  just have my wife draw funny pictures around it!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Spanielsal

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
Hi guys, do you get Bio oil out there?  it is supposed to be very good.  Sal
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »
Just a quick word of caution, the surgeon will likely have some restrictions on topical things for a few weeks.  Probably all based on the potential for infection (ie the suture zone needs to be healed enough).  Stephen - you might want to check on that, being only 2.5 weeks or so. 

I added nothing to mine, but a little massage, when I could get it.  Mine are a bit purple and the elder one (13 months) is starting to get bits of skin tone color (aka fish belly white) between purply dashes.  The younger one (8 months) is still mostly purple.  Both are still depressions in the surface and may be for along time.  I'm not much of a tat guy, but it's already sort of a tattoo that tells one heck of story, right?   A few of us can tell that story twice, one for each cheek.  I can see it 40 years from now, sitting in the recliner with all the grandkids, "sonny, let me tell you about this cheek,......", grandma rolls her eyes ::), then about 3 hours later, "sonny, let me tell you about the other cheek" 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »
I've been recommended Medurma (which I'm currently using), vitamin E oil, or coconut butter.  If the scare is risen you can have your doctor or dermatologist perscribe a scar patch.  I heard they work really well but you have to have a raised scar. 

Also, you need to check with your doctor to see when you can start using scar treatments, I was not cleared around week 4.

Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

WTW15

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »
I joked about getting a train tattoo'd on mine, as my scar with staple marks look like train tracks.  maybe even a little union station with people gathering to board the train.  All Aboard the Hippy Train!  WOO-WOO! 

I've been using Wan Hau oil from my acupuncturist that I started after all was well closed up/healed.  My scar is noticeably lighter from week 4 to now, week 13.  I don't think it will ever go away.   I can't wait to put on a bathing suit and watch people try not to stare.  LOL 

Also going to try Mederma as it worked well on my son's dogbite scars on his face.  (but that's another story......) 

I like the pull-tab idea too! 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat