+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lateral approach for BHR  (Read 3221 times)

peggy

Lateral approach for BHR
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
I am fairly new and very grateful to this site! I had my consultation and was relieved to learn that my bone structure is very good and I am able to have a BHR. I met with Dr. Schmidtt, he is very nice. However, he suggested to me that he would probably use a lateral approach and I was wondering if some of you, that may have had that, could share your experience. Some of my research was not very favorable about it as it is more invasive, and can have problems with long term muscle weakness or limping. I am very confident in him as a surgeon, which I know is key. Any info on your results, healing process, etc is so very appreciated!

hernanu

Re: Lateral approach for BHR
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
Hi Peggy, welcome!  I had the lateral approach for both of my hips, and have done well with it.

It's just a sample, but it did not seem (knock on chromium and cobalt) to create any problems for me. I don't think it's as much the approach as it is the skill of the surgeon, and Dr. Schmidtt has a good reputation. There are no guarantees, but I think many surgeons use the lateral approach and have been successful with it.

Welcome again.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
Peggy -

Dr. Brooks provides a discussion of the lateral approach in the Doctor Interview section of the Surface Hippy website.  Dr. Brooks uses the lateral approach.  He performed my LBHR a year and a half ago, and I have had no problems and am very pleased with my results.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 05:22:59 AM »
What is it about the lateral approach that worries you?  Why do you say that it's more invasive?  If you check through the sight, you'll find most doctors saying that you choose a doctor based on his skill not his approach.  My doctor, Dr Scott Marwin, uses what he calls ''direct lateral''.  I had same day bilateral surgery on Nov 15 at NYU Hosp for Joint Disease, stayed in the NYU Rusk Rehab Center for nine days and walked out of the hospital on the 24th using only a cane.  It's been practically smooth sailing ever since and I'll be able to resume running on Monday after I see him for my six month visit.  Dr Marwin told me that 80% of the doctors in this country use the posterior approach because that's what they learned.  He said that he learned posterior first and then he learned anterior, which he calls direct lateral.  My scars are on the rear corner of my hips.  Dr Marwin said that the direct lateral approach solved all the problems of the operation.  From my experience, I have to say that he is right; I've had the smoothest recovery of all the people I see posting here and I had two at once.  Now we are all different and all surgeries are different but as the surgeons have said; choose your surgeon based on his skill not his approach.  Call your doctor and talk to him about his approach.  He probably has a very good reason for doing it that way and he'll explain it to you.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat