+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scheduled for Right Hip Resurfacing on the 15th May and I am scared.com!  (Read 4199 times)

Rach41

Morning all,

After researching the net I have found this great Forum.  I have been suffering with right hip pain for the last 10 years, I am now 41 years old cannot cross my right leg over the my left knee and have groin pain not to mention knee and shin pain! I have suffered two serious car accidents (rear end shunts!) and wonder whether this would have caused my hip problem.  I only plucked up the courage  to go to the GP about a year ago! I had a hip xray carried out and the Orthopaedic surgeon asked me when I wanted the operation.  At that time I mentioned Hip Resurfacing to him but he didn't really believe in them and thought a replacement was the way to go.  I was frightened of the thought of the anaesthetic which he said was  good indicator of how much pain I was in otherwise I wouldn't care.  Anyway the pain has been getting progressively worse in that I can manage during the day although I do have a limp but at night omg it is horrific.  I wake up everytime I move and the pain is awful.  If the surgeon came into my room at night and said "come on then lets operate" I would be there!  My youngest also isnt a great sleeper so if it isnt the pain keeping me awake its her!

I recently had a follow up and my hip is now bone on bone! I asked to put me on the list.  He also had changed his mind within that year and said that Hip Resurfacing would be best for me as I am young and it is bone preserving.  Also that a lot of research had been done and he had carried out a few of these operations.  I am having the operation in Morriston Hospital, Swansea, UK and my Consultant is Mr Woodnutt.  I have my pre-op on the 26th April and yesterday I had the letter confirming my operation date of the 15th May.

I am looking forward to getting it done but I am scared of the anaesthetic but I guess most people are.  I don't live alone I live with my husband who works full time and my daughters the eldest who is 6 and the youngest who is 4 but is severely disabled following a brain hemorrhage the day of her birth  :'( .  I am worried how I will cope.  I am hoping the Children's Hospice will care for her for her when I am in hospital.  She is in school during the day so will arrange for my parents to be here for when she comes home etc.

Just wondered how people managed to shower/bath and what to expect really.

Thanks so much.

Rach :)
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

morph

Hi Rach, I am in the same boat as you, I saw the consultant on Friday and it is highly likely I will have surgery within a month in Newcastle, just got to wait for date. I am feeling scared too, which will probably get worse when I get the date, but that must be completely normal, fear is a horrible emotion and tends to feed on itself, I am trying to focus on the longer term benefits. I posted a few weeks back and got a reply from someone who has recently (I think) had surgery by Mr Woodnutt.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

obxpelican

Rachel,

You would be surprised how people do post-op depending on your doctors protocol.

What concerns me is the amount of hip resurfacings your doctor has done, hip resurfacing is not an easy surgery unless your surgeon is very skilled and experienced.  Is there a way you could see other surgeons and to possibly find someone more experienced?

You only get one shot at hip resurfacing, most times you cannot revise and keep your hip resurfacing, then it's a total hip.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Arrojo

My only suggestion is to work out/train for the surgery like it was a big race.  Of course you have a bad hip.  But upper body and core strength and core (pushups, pullups, situps, medicine ball etc) training are very helpful;l.  Those first days you will not be able to use your upper leg getting in and out of bed, it is all upper body strength.  The better shape you are in going into surgery the better off you are.

As for showering, Dr. Su uses dissolvable sutures so I was able to shower as soon as I got home 2 days after surgery (just standing and only getting my 'good side' submerged.  It helps to have a spouse to help get dressed (socks and pants are difficult at first).  Pain is to be expected, use your meds.

I am two weeks tomorrow and about to go walk a mile on crutches.  Every day you will see improvement.  Good luck!
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

mark-taffy

i have sent you a message rach , dr woodnutt done my hip 3 weeks ago no probs best thing i ever done .
mark
BHR 1/4/2012 mr woodnutt

obxpelican

Mark, please do not take this as anything against your doctor or yourself but it's just a fact that those who go to the more experienced hip doctors usually end up with a better result.  I've very happy that you're doing well though and I hope your recovery goes well.

Do you know how many hip resurfacings your doctor has performed? For all I know he's into the hundreds with no complications, but again if he's only done a few surgeries I would tread very carefully, of course it does not mean a guarantee of a bad result either since every doctor has to learn.

We have many many people who have had botched surgeries and later came back on this forum and said they wished they would have listened to us.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

mark-taffy

hi
not sure how many resufacings dr woodnutt has done , but when he xrayed me after op he said it was a text book resurfacing  ,i was impressed and took a pic on my phone ill try and upload later , i do know that dr woodnutt has been the main guy in south wales for hips over the last 15 yrs ,but i will be seeing him in 3 weeks and will ask him how many he has done .
atb mark ;)
BHR 1/4/2012 mr woodnutt

obxpelican

As with all doctors, you have to begin somewhere and for all we know your doctor even if he only has a few surgeries will have good numbers in the future.

This is a delicate discussion, always, people take it real personal when you tell them not to go to a doctor with only a few hip resurfacings under his/her belt but we get so so many people who have done so and regretted it a lot. 

If it were me, knowing what I do now, I would have still gone for experience experience experience sprinkled with a doctor with a good track record.

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

lori.36

Rach,
I am happy to hear that you have your surgery all scheduled out, wonderful news.  Did you ask for your doc's stats?  I used a doc that did 500 BHR and was really Pleased. 
In regards to recovery, I am also a MOm, when I went through surgery I had a 1. 1/2 year old that was nursing and a 4 year Old son.  I had my MIL come and help for 14 days.  She stayed with my husband when I was at the hospital and then she came home with us.  My MIL took care of the kids and my husband took care of me.  I needed help getting my ice for the icing machine, my coffee made, and sometimes the raised toilet seat moved from bathroom to bathroom.  :). Oh the fond memories. 
Needless to say, I would say with your daughter and her handicaps , look for help for two weeks.  You cannot pick up a child and carry them for two months.  I would sit and nurse my child, but could not put her in the crib.  Logistics.  I am here along with other mothers to help you through this. 
Lori
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

hipnhop

Good luck with the surgery.  Don't worry about showering.  They just want to make sure you don't get the incision wet. I used saran wrap for two weeks. 

The recovery goes fast after the first two weeks.  I would tell all your friends about what you are going to do. It is amazing how they step up. I live alone and had a lot of help from friends.  Don't let the fer hold you back from resuming your life.  I can tell you that I am almost 12 weeks out and I rarely think about the hips. 

Stay in contact
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

23109VC

I'm a 39 year old, and suffered with hip pain for almost the years.  The moment I woke up from surgery that bone pain was gone!  You will be sore...but the arthritis will be gone.  It wa so cool to sit up straight and not hurt.

The first time I walked uphill with no pain in my hips I got tears in my eyes  I was so happy.

I wish I had do e it sooner.  Do not be scared.  I was afraid before surgery, and now that I have done it, I would not hesitate to do it again if I ever need it on the other side.

You will be glad you did it!  Trust us!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

hernanu

Hi Rache, I understand being leery of the anesthesia, the whole experience. I know I was before my first HR. The day came, and I was nervous but the staff was great in alleviating my anxiety. 

I was shocked when I went under quickly and immediately woke in my bed. There was no groggy period for me, no time elapsed at all it seemed. I awoke and the nurse came immediately and told me everything had gone great. They had me do a few foot pumps, movement to test the results. I had an IV with morphine for the pain, took plenty of pills and all, fell asleep a bunch of times and took my first walk.

The doctor came by and told me things were in good shape, took my questions (first was did I get an HR). I was in some discomfort, but not too bad (to me). I had plenty of appetite and drank plenty of fluids. My worst problem was the uncontrollable hiccups that I got after drinking ginger ale.

I'm not minimizing the other possibilities, it is serious surgery, but both times I had it done, that was pretty much my experience. The first time was the most nervous, but the second I was just anxious to get going with it; still a bit nervous, but I had seen the results of the first and the experience of the surgery.

Other hippys like lori have much more to say about being a Mom and dealing with small kids as you're recouping, but here's my experience with the surgery itself.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Rach41

Thanks all for your lovely messages.  I really just want to get it done now.  This pain especially at night is no joke.  Three weeks today fingers crossed it all be done :) My youngest who is severely disabled has to be lifted everywhere so that is going to be hard.  The hospice has agreed to take her for the week I am in hospital.  I think it will be a case of relying on my husband and family.  Not sure how long it will be before I am able to lift her in and out of her wheelchair etc.  We dont have a hoist yet as awaiting alterations to our home!  Best get this operation done as it isnt goint to get better by itself.

Thanks  :)
Accis right hip resurfacing on 15.05.2012 by Mr Woodnutt, Morriston Hospital, Swansea

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Rach;

I was very nervous too, before my first one, one thing that helped me alot was realizing the day before surgery would be the last day my hip continued to get worse, and starting the day of surgery, you will continue to get better.  Now after 2 of them done, it has proven to be very, very true.

The procedure itself was not trivial, but was way less of a problem with pain and recovery than I expected.  Staying in touch with the folks in this forum made a huge, huge positive difference throughout both recoveries, they will help sort out expected versus unexpected and can help you know what is happening.

I showered using tegaderm bandages over the incision, and stepped into the shower with one crutch, left outside the shower; since I was allowed 75% weight bearing I was OK to stand without crutches (50% weight bearing) while in the shower.

Best wishes for a smooth and uneventful recovery.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

Thanks all for your lovely messages.  I really just want to get it done now.  This pain especially at night is no joke.  Three weeks today fingers crossed it all be done :) My youngest who is severely disabled has to be lifted everywhere so that is going to be hard.  The hospice has agreed to take her for the week I am in hospital.  I think it will be a case of relying on my husband and family.  Not sure how long it will be before I am able to lift her in and out of her wheelchair etc.  We dont have a hoist yet as awaiting alterations to our home!  Best get this operation done as it isnt goint to get better by itself.

Thanks  :)

I think you've got a great attitude. The thing to remember is that the pain and degradation of the bone is not going away on its own. I'm sure it is painful to lift and help your youngest now; the good thing is that after the surgery and a good recuperation period, you can do this without pain.

It will also be a good thing for your family. I know that my daughters were always wincing for me when they could see the pain of walking on my face, the limping and stiff legs. Now they are loose and relaxed around me, not just due to the lack of pain, but also because I am happier. In helping you, you are letting them do something they'll always remember well, how they pitched in when you needed them. Isn't that a fine task for a family?

In the end, you also deserve to walk through life without pain. You seem to give a lot for others, it's time to do something good for yourself. The time to recuperate is important, so don't rush it - especially where carrying your youngest is concerned. I'd talk to your surgeon about it, make sure you cover all of your bases.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

kamoynsgi

Hi Rachel

Not too long to go now!  I'm sure everything will go to plan.  I've heard lots of good reports about Mr Woodnutt and know a few people personally who have been operated on by him. 

I'm also waiting to have my hip resurfaced by Mr Woodnutt.  Have my pre-assessment on May 10th so I'll be thinking of you when I'm in Morriston.   

ps. I'm scared too but hearing other people's stories and advice really does help.

Ka
L Hip Resurfaced 9 August 2012

ZAP

Just of the top of my head WORK OUT!!! 

Practice :  Dips, push ups, chin ups etc.  Anything with arms, you're going to be using them as soon as surgery is over. I remember moving from surgery bed to hospital bed (side by side)  how happy I was that I trained on dips, because those were the EXACT same muscles I  need to move from bed to bed. Or even to get out in and out of bed. I saw other patients and they were struggling really bad just to move into bed.

For your legs, do the exercise on this site, but what really helped me was the "leg press" machine. If you're strong enough, use 1 leg with no weight  to start.  If not, just use booth legs with no weight.  About a week before, do squats as well with lite weight. (50ibs)  for example.  They don't have to be deep, just go down as far as you can where you can still get back up. 

Balance on bad leg before bed.  Make a game out of it. Do it in front of the TV. I would use the clock and try to break record. Your hip will hurt a little when you relax immediately after.

Cardio:  I used the elliptical. I was told its better then the bike, because its a weight bearing exercise.

START EATING PROPERLY!

If you haven't stored any of your own blood for surgery, if you still have time, do it.. One of the problems you will notice is a weakness do to blood loss.  Nurse even told me, patients that have there blood replaced recover alot faster.  I wish I did it.

Things to eat:

Liver
Spinach
all greens.
Fish;  tuna, etc
oatmeal
chicken breast

Much more, basically anything clean.

STAY AWAY FROM..

SALT, SALT, SALT. 
Alcohol
Smoke
recreational drugs..  :)

TAKE VITAMINS.

I was taking a super multi vitamin called "Animal Pak" .  Its a little over the top, but you should take something with calcium, Iron, and basic amino acids, if you can.

The Hospital.

Epidermal, Epidermal, Epidermal. Did I mention Epidermal?  IT WAS GREAT, compared to what others go through,feeling sick puking after.  My doctor said this is the best way, and I said, just make sure I'm sleeping. "I don't want to hear anything".

BRING SNACKS!!!!!!!!!!!

The hospital for some reason try to starve you to death the first day.  Its by far the worse part of the experience..:)
I was prepared. After reading some threads on the site, I brought some dry snacks like:

Protein bars,
Meal replacement bars,
Dry fruit, "Pineapple OH MY GOD"  like candy

I even brought protein powder with a couple shaker cups. :)

About a 3 hours after surgery, the hunger pain kicks in. GASSSSS.  It feels like a really bad hang over.   So this is the important part.  If you eat to fast, you will make it worse, and want to throw up.  I would take a small bit of a bar, burp about 5 times, wait about 3 -5 minutes before taking another bit.  With in 4 hours, I was feeling great and other patients that had the same surgery minutes apart from mine, were VERY sick.  They kept complaining of feeling like throwing up.   That night at about midnight, I got a nurse to sneak me some soup and crackers..:)

THINGS I WASTED MONEY ON!!

Because I didn't listen to my doctor and took some advice from others.

reacher..   Never needed it.
Elevated toilet.....  Never needed it
Walker...   Never needed it. Went right to crouches.
Wedge Pillow...  WHAT A JOKE. $100+ FOR A TRIANGLE SHAPE PILLOW..   Never used it (My girl friend and I found other uses for it)
Lace less shoes...   Never needed it.. Foot doesn't swell, put laces in shoe, then push your feet in like sleepers.

THINGS NEEDED.

Crouches
Cane
Shoe Horn,  long one if you can find them.
Sock Helper,  Get molded kind. looks cheap, but it does work. I was a little surprised.
Shower mat

For PT exercises, ankle weights, roller, exercise tubes.

SHOWER..

Didn't take one for about 10 days. Spent 5 days in hospital.  The day I got my staples out, I took a shower.  You will be strong enough to get in and out of the shower on your own by 10 days.  Good leg in first, use wall or top of toilet for balance if needed, bad leg in next.   Getting out was the opposite.  The hospital will teach you this stuff any ways. It really wasn't a big deal.

If you want to know what all the worse parts were, let me know.  It might help you prepare.  There was a couple things I wish I had a heads up on.   

I have plenty more info from my experience if needed.  I just don't want to right a book on the site.  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:46:59 PM by ZAP »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat