+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Having hip pain again 5 months post-op. Not good.  (Read 2486 times)

PistolPete

Having hip pain again 5 months post-op. Not good.
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »
The past week and a half has been difficult as I've been in a fair amount of pain.  I've taken things easy for this time but haven't had any progress.  Today has been the worst to date and it's a pretty constant throbbing pain that is on the side of my hip and I feel it towards but glute as well.  My hip is fairly sore to the touch so I'm not sure if it has something to do with scar tissue breaking down or if it's time to call my surgeon to have some X-Rays done to make sure nothing serious is going on.  The pain is bearable and not like it was pre-op and I'm hoping things are either just strained or maybe something to do with the weather change?

Any advice?

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Re: Having hip pain again 5 months post-op. Not good.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »
      Pete, unless you can point to an overuse event, or some other strain, I would have it checked out.  Better safe and be told its nothing, than to wait too long.  Doesn't sound "typical" for the recovery if its not from an abuse you know about. 

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
Pete,

Yesterday you said this "I'm 5 months post-op and mostly feeling good.  Some setbacks from overuse which seem to take a week or so to recover from."

Have you possibly done something to over use your hip recently or the past week?  We've all gone though stuff where we did too much and paid for it.

If you are having shooting pains and they are not getting better and it's been over a few weeks where even with rest you are still having problems talk to your doctor about x-rays.

JMHO.

Chuck

The past week and a half has been difficult as I've been in a fair amount of pain.  I've taken things easy for this time but haven't had any progress.  Today has been the worst to date and it's a pretty constant throbbing pain that is on the side of my hip and I feel it towards but glute as well.  My hip is fairly sore to the touch so I'm not sure if it has something to do with scar tissue breaking down or if it's time to call my surgeon to have some X-Rays done to make sure nothing serious is going on.  The pain is bearable and not like it was pre-op and I'm hoping things are either just strained or maybe something to do with the weather change?

Any advice?
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:50:23 AM »
Hey Pete, like Chuck mentioned, probably some overuse, but why sweat it? you should be having your six month soon, so why not call Dr. Snyder's office and tell them you're sore, let'em do an xray and clear it from your mind? 

I know I did that a couple of times, one time with a snapping pain (went away after two weeks) and another couple of times from groin and buttocks pain. No need to worry overmuch, they can look at the xrays and tell you what's going on.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
Hey Hern,

I called Dr. Snyder's office today and have been playing phone-tag with them.  I'm pretty sure it's just sore from over-use but I'm going to see what they say.  I'm wondering if it might be Bursitis or something along those lines?  I have been doing a LOT lately which doesn't suprise me I would have setbacks.  I'm teaching 2 kickboxing classes each night and haven't been doing a lot of kicking but I do most of the conditioning drills twice per day which consist of lunges, squats, pushups, leg lifts, and tons of other things.  I skip all the running and jumping so I'm hoping I've just done way too much.  I'm currently not doing anything but taking it easy until I speak with Dr. Snyder and if he wants to see me and do X-Rays.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
Sounds like you've been active, so yeah, could have pushed it a bit. I used tylenol and ice when I did that, and like I mentioned, at least twice got pretty concerned. You'll be good, Pete - you're probably suffering like the rest of us from type 'A'ness.

Try taking one of those exercises off, see maybe that's what's pushing you one step beyond (apologies to Madness). My bet would be on the leg lifts.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:35:58 PM by hernanu »

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:10:42 AM »
Pete, I get sore after sitting. I just got off a flight from DC to Cali and my hip was hurting pretty bad.  I think it is my posture and plan to speak to a P/T about it.  It's funny that sitting is what hurts.  When I'm moving - no problem.  Don't know if this helps.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:37:43 AM »
Hip, my hip was sore after sitting for a while. My handy dandy ice pack saved me for a while - I think it was a good five months or more until it completely went away.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal