+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tennis Girl Recovery Update  (Read 3451 times)

tennisgirl

Tennis Girl Recovery Update
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I know I've been AWOL, but I've gone through some rough times physically and mentally, and I decided to take a break from this forum.  In short, I've learned that my groin pain (as best determined by several docs, xrays, and a MRI) is from scar tissue from a surgery I had a year ago to remove mesh that was causing nerve pain.  I've also been experiencing leg pain at the hip flexor point, pain at my incision, and lower back pain.  February and most of March were dark times for me...lost a buncha weight and was really scared something was wrong with me.

I've been receiving kenalog injections in my groin to hopefully break up the scar tissue.  So far, I have had just a little relief.  I just started physical therapy to also work on the scar tissue in my groin and at my incision.  My PT was surprised that I didn't have any PT post-surgery, and commented on how tight my hip capsule is.  I think I have a long road ahead of me to get better, but I am up to the challenge.  My PT is using a therapy called ASTYM to break up the scar tissue, plus work on my hip flexor.  Of course, I have many other exercises to do!

I apologize to those of you who have reached out to me these past few months, and I did not respond.  This is a great forum for support, and I treasure all of you.

I do want to report that my headaches have decreased quite a bit.  I started listening to CD's by Jon Kabat-Zinn, who heads up the Mind Body Stress Relief center in Boston...he's a proponent of meditation to help with stress, depression and chronic pain.  I'm not one of those new age folks, but I find his CD's and books to be down to earth and helpful.   Yes, I am a type A person, but am trying to slow down and be more relaxed.

I've been walking a mile every day for the past two months to stay strong and build stamina...I'm coming up on the sixth month mark, and I'm hoping to get back on the tennis court (slowly).  My goal is to play competitive tennis in the fall.

So, that's my story for now.   I guess I am just one of those people who are on a slower track to recovery.  I am at peace with that...Lee Webb told me for some people it takes up to a year.

Take care,

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Tennis Girl Recovery Update
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
Hi Mindi

Nice to hear from you. Glad a few things are getting better.  As Lee said, some people take a year to heal.  I also know a couple that have very bad hip problems and even a few years out, they are still improving slowly. 

Good Luck.  Always glad to hear how people are doing and improving.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mslendzion

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »
Tennis Girl,  so glad things are getting better for you and your headaches are decreasing. I'm not progressing as fast as others either, the important thing is you are getting better and relief. Good to hear from you.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »
Hey Mindi! Really glad to hear from you. Also sounds like there's a lot of progress on all fronts.

Sorry to hear about the scar tissue, but it's actually really good to find the cause for the pain and that it's not due to the HR. Scar tissue can be attacked, so it sounds like you're on the way  ;D .  Good news on the headaches too! just awesome.

Let things take their course, there is nothing wrong with a stroll instead of a speed walk; we just want to get there. I can uncross a couple of fingers for you, still keep a couple crossed. I look kind of funny, but I mean well  ::).

Don't worry about stepping away for a bit, do what you need to to heal - nothing wrong with a hippy too busy healing and beginning to enjoy life.

(P.S. --- I really liked the results of my PT, I think it helped me).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:47:51 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
Glad to hear you're doing better.  Like many others here, we've been wondering/worrying about you.  Continued good luck!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Arrojo

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
HI,
Regarding the scar tissue, have you looked into ART (Active Release Technque)?  Many, many people swear by it.  It is made for breaking up scar tissue, no need for injections or drugs.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Luanna

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
Hi Mindi,
Good to hear from you. So glad you are focused on scar tissue and loosening up a tight hip capsule. Those were two things that have helped me soooooooooo much. It took several months of hard work and exercises to see progress - so be patient. I'm coming up on 8 months now and doing quite a bit better.

What really helps me (with groin discomfort) is stretching the adductors.

Keep moving forward at your own pace. I wish I'd started with a really good PT person much earlier. Really important for my recovery.

Best wishes,
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »
Hi Mindi- I am also glad to see you report back!  I hope things continue to improve.  Now that you know the source of the pain, you can address it.  Fingers crossed for you as you move forward.  Keep dreaming about a slick down the line forehand and soon enough you will be doing it!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
Hang in there, Mindy, we all heal at our own pace.  You'll be back on the court, maybe not as soon as you planned, but you'll be there and you'll be winning matches!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

bilateralbliss

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »
hi mindi, thanks for posting. Made me certainly realise I should get some PT help. Had none, only personal stretching exercises. Everyones comments are so helpful, make sense, thanks
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
Mindi sorry to hear about your problems but hopefully they are now behind you and you can now recover back to full health.
Your in my prayers
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »
I think I must have missed your first post in April, sorry to hear about your winter.  Hopefully things are on the upswing and you'll find some happy times ahead.  Just keep thinking about the fun things you can do with a new hip.  Hang in there.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat