+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing and cysts  (Read 2493 times)

morph

Hip resurfacing and cysts
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:54:25 AM »
I have been told there is 90% chance of having a BHR during surgery. The alternative being a large ceramic delta motion.  Has anybody else had HR with cysts? Does anybody know anything about the delta motion? I am just wondering if I have made the right choice for the backup. I am 38 so it needs to last me a long time with revisions likely and I would love to return to some activity.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

jjmclain

Re: Hip resurfacing and cysts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:37:16 AM »
I had some cysts...one extremely large, but was able to still get a BHR. It all depends on the skill of the surgeon.

Neild5

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »
I had a large cyst on my left hip and it did not prevent my surgeon from doing a HR.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

einreb

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
I have been told there is 90% chance of having a BHR during surgery. The alternative being a large ceramic delta motion.  Has anybody else had HR with cysts? Does anybody know anything about the delta motion? I am just wondering if I have made the right choice for the backup. I am 38 so it needs to last me a long time with revisions likely and I would love to return to some activity.

Who is the surgeon?  Whats the reason for the 10% chance?

i had a pretty bad cysts, can read about my experience here...

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-topics/ramblings-regarding-my-scheduled-216-resurfacing-with-dr-gross/

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
The very experienced doctors can tell you that for sure you will get a hip resurfacing or not and most of the time it's 99/1 or better that you will get a hip resurfacing.  I had a couple of cysts and I had bone spurs like Einreb.... btw Einreb very respectable bone spur buddy.

Be very careful, some doctors will give you that 90/10 ratio then you end up with a THR.  Those doctors are the bait and switch type.

You do not want a THR at your age, it probably won't outlive you because of the stress shielding issue, then the revision to another is a much more difficult surgery.

Again again and again, find someone who is the most experience that you possibly can, get 2nd 3rds and 4th opinions if you can, you only get one crack at this surgery most of the time.

At your age you need to save bone as much as possible, if you EVER have to get a THR ask the doctor 1) What will your restrictions be and 2) is the head a large ball and socket device.  If you get told you won't be allowed to do things you might be getting a small ball and socket and those can dislocate.

Chuck

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:12:10 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »
Hi

Hip resurfacing is possible with cysts. They usually fill them. 

If you have your heart set on hip resurfacing, I would get another opinon or two.  I know there is a way to see another surgeon in the UK.  I would definitely see Mr. McMinn and or Mr. Treacy. They have done over 3000 hip resurfacings and are the best in the world.  You are lucky to be in the UK.  I would suggest trying to use the top experienced surgeons if you have a diffuclt hip problem.  That way you have a better chance of having a resurfacing.  Mr. McMinn also uses the BMHR which is still a type of resurfacing since they don't remove as much of the femur as in a THR.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/bmhr.php  I would try to get some more input if you really want a hip resurfacing instead of a THR.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

einreb

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »
The very experienced doctors can tell you that for sure you will get a hip resurfacing or not and most of the time it's 99/1 or better that you will get a hip resurfacing.  I had a couple of cysts and I had bone spurs like Einreb....

I was told by Dr Rogeson in madison that i had an 80% chance of getting a BHR.  he is a great surgeon with a good reputation.

Gross and Bose said 99%.  (nothing is certain)  One thing that really stood out to me with the Biomet uncemented was that the cyst is packed with bone/plasma gooo and grows back to bone.  BHR's get packed with cement.  I liked the idea of bone.

This is a nice writeup from Dr Gross on cysts...

http://www.josr-online.com/content/6/1/55/abstract

btw Einreb very respectable bone spur buddy.

Thanks!  Its in a compost pile somewhere in south carolina now... :)
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
Hi, I had cysts and so far so good.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:32:47 AM »
Morph,
          If your using the NHS then ask for a refferal to Mr Treacy. Mr McMinn doesnt work on the NHS anymore. If you have private medical cover then go and see either.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

morph

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:24:29 AM »
The surgeon is Mr Jim Holland in Newcastle. He is McMinn & Treacy trained in 1998, a proponent of HR and performed ~1000 BHR's to date. I liked him and have confidence in his ability. He was telling me that at 10yrs followup of his patients, blood and xrays showed no problem.

TBH he did seem optimistic and my hip appeared pretty mangled. I think it was the position of the cyst that could be a problem too. But he did say that Xrays normally appear worse than in real life. I stated that I really was keen on the HR, but he told me not to get too hung up if it was not possible because no matter what I needed something.

I sought Mr Holland out after not liking what my first surgeon told me and I am running out of time with my wife expecting twins any time after July.

morph

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
Oh and I seem to remember him saying something like it could be a problem if 25% of the head was affected. So if the area of concern was under that it probably would be ok.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:54:06 AM by morph »

jb46

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
Rather than being a hindrance to resurfacing, I believe cysts are on the list of things a good resurfacer looks for. In my pre-op appt yesterday, Dr. Gross pointed out some cysts on my other hip, which is probably a few years off, and said he would take care of when we did that hip,,,but I think he also promised me a pony, so some of my facts may be questionablekkkkk...sorry, back to sleep...jb

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat