+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing W/Dr. Gross on April 25th...  (Read 4198 times)

jb46

Resurfacing W/Dr. Gross on April 25th...
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
Had pre-op appt today and resurfacing schedule for tomorrow.
No real concerns/worries at this point. Asked about concern I'd heard about being switched to a THR once surgery started. Was told that shouldn't really be a concern...excuse used by some Dr.'s who aren't comfortable doing resurfacing.
Mentioned discussion about running and was told real reason/concern for not doing so before 6 months was the risk of femoral head cracking. Which only occurs during first six months....so don't run before you're suppose to.
Interesting comment from Dr. Gross...don't believe everything you read online....even after I told him he's considered a genius, "a damn genius, Gump", on the resurfacing blogs.
My wife and I were both very impressed with him...hope I'm as impressed after tomorrow and after I can live without pain and get back to an active lifestyle.
I'll try and update after procedure. Thanks to everyone (especially Andy, whose really not gettinold) for previous posts on their experiences, has been a huge help. I will try and pass along any helpful info I can for those about to take the plunge....jb

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Resurfacing W/Dr. Gross on April 25th...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
JB
Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow.  Dr. Gross and Lee are a great team with a lot of great patient outcomes.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Looking forward to reading about your recovery when you are able to post.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
LOL OMG we were just discussing the bait and switch today.

I'm telling you, when I talked to Dr. Gross pre-op he said that I would for sure be getting a resurfacing, it's funny but I thought at the time "wow this guy is either very cocky or he's really good"----- believe me he is that good.

Dr. Gross unlike other doctors is not cocky, he is super confident but then his results tell it all.

Good luck you are in great hands, tell Lee and Dr. Gross Chuck from Pat's site says hi.

Chuck

Had pre-op appt today and resurfacing schedule for tomorrow.
No real concerns/worries at this point. Asked about concern I'd heard about being switched to a THR once surgery started. Was told that shouldn't really be a concern...excuse used by some Dr.'s who aren't comfortable doing resurfacing.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »
Good luck JB! touch back when you're on the other side.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

WTW15

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »
HappyHippySurgery!  :D
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

jb46

surfacing W/Dr. Gross on April 25th...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Approx 5 Hours post op...so please forgive typos or nonsense.

jb46

Resurfacing W/Dr. Gross on April 25th...TODAY...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »
About 5 hrs post op, so forgive typos and nonsense please.

Surgery was pretty easy...pre-surgery pain/nausea "cocktail" designed by Gross
Shot in back when I got in surgery room, and then i woke up in recovery.
Didnt get to wallk/get out of bed today due to late hour of surgery...which means...wait for it...catheter. Discovered that on my own, what a... surprise? Jamie was my surgery nurse, great from little I remembered. Dr. Ghandi (no relation) was my "pain doc", great job so far but still wearing off.
No  bone density issues, told that is pretty rare so don't panice, just get it checked early if it's a concern.

Katie, was my Providence nurse, great!
Heard from everyone, unsolicited by all, that I picked..."the right guy", "the best guy", "the only one they would use". How I felt, but good to hear.

Thirsty as a...camel? Ate everything I got after surgery, meal from Wendys from my wife (definitely get a frosty) and then the hospital dinner,,,pretty good there as well. It's pretty much a ortho surgical hospital, so not the mass produced hospital/cafateria/school menu.

Legs still tingling on and off...feel strange. Picking up "new leg/hip", feels good so far. Strangest feeling is....NO CONSTAT PAIN IN HIP. Taking it easy rest of day. Have fallen asleep couple times today while sending out the "group text" to friends and family.

How often does ice need to be changed in Polar unit?
Putting a Halloween Run date on my calendar....thanks again Andy, for icer and handy/dandy item, nice to practices with and see what I woul need. Thanks to everyone else for info Ive gathered on this site...Out soon, probably up in middle of night....sending you all pain free wishes...jb

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
Happy healing, glad it all went well for you.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

WTW15

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
Great to hear!!!  See - we are not all nutty!   ;)
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Great to hear you are doing well.  Just take it easy and let the healing begin.  Patience will be your friend for awhile.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
Great news, you might have some aches and pains the next few days but from then it gets so good!

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
Great news JB... glad it went well and you see the payoff... No Freakin' OA pain!

jb46

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
First day post op...still on pain meds and in moving car so please forgive "messiness".
Medical part, woke up today, with minimal pain from incision, no swelling ( I know it should be coming in next few days), no nausea, no pain med hangover. PT sessions are very simple, walking a bit on crutches, lessons on the do's and don'ts, and a quick group sessions going over things and a short stair walk. Great advice from Dr. Gross, less is more. Only time femoral head will crack is in first 6 months after surgery...unless of course you wreck a bike or something.

Facilities comments...OUTSTANDING. Eveyone involved were incredible. Midlands staff was great, they've got the process down. The level of attention at Providence was off the charts. Even my wife mentioned it. I had Stacy, Shirley/Cheryl, Irene and Barry overnight. Alice, Shawn and Jerri for PT.Exercises are pretty simple. Everyone stressed that more is not better...I believe Dr. Gross even said Less is More...how prophetic.

Once again, GREATLY APPRECIATE everyones help and comments along the way...Wow, what a couple of days...jb

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »
Glad that things are going well, JB. Things only get better from here.

Aerial

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »
Good luck.  I am fully satisfied with my New "Gross" hip!  I can't believe you were able to eat that much right out of surgery.  They brought me lasagna as my first meal.  That was simply no appealing. I had zero appetite for days but drank my share of soda and Gatorade!  Happy recovery!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

jb46

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
Just like the Surface Hippy handbook says, day two post op is worse. Didn't sleep as well, had spasms that felt like my newly fixed hip was stepping down stairs...while I was asleep, which jolts you right out of bed.
Still no real swelling to speak of, think more sleep is all that's needed at this point.
Even the 3:30 car ride wasn't too bad. Nap time...

lyn

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »
I'm happy for you and your new hip, I wish you a smooth recovery! lyn

jb46

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
Day Two Post Op...better than yesterday. Still no swelling, pain meds ok, fluid still running right thru me. Friend who is a PT showed me some more excercises, to work on strength. Still trying to find a comfortable position for sleeping, may try opposite side or even stomache if I can get there without straining anything...getting back up may be bigger issue though.
This surgery is still such a shock to the body...even if all goes well, still long time to recover.
No running, breaking 90 or twisting for the next six months...then look out...jb

einreb

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 09:22:25 PM »
You are in for an interesting ride the next few months... ups and downs, but general improvement. Stay on top of your pain meds! Let your body heal, gain by yielding, etc.

for what its worth, I'm 14 months out from a "gross hip" and looking forward to putting 70 miles on the bike tomorrow morning... :)

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

obxpelican

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »
Your body will be healing for a long time to come.  Swelling comes sometimes from activity, I did not swell till I pushed it a couple of times.

Chuck

Day Two Post Op...better than yesterday. Still no swelling, pain meds ok, fluid still running right thru me. Friend who is a PT showed me some more excercises, to work on strength. Still trying to find a comfortable position for sleeping, may try opposite side or even stomache if I can get there without straining anything...getting back up may be bigger issue though.
This surgery is still such a shock to the body...even if all goes well, still long time to recover.
No running, breaking 90 or twisting for the next six months...then look out...jb
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat