+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long until you "turned the corner" after surgery?  (Read 2330 times)

Miguelito

How long until you "turned the corner" after surgery?
« on: April 25, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
Hello. I am at exactly two weeks with my new hip (feels weird to say that) and something just feels different. I am much more comfortable walking around the house without any support, the incision doesn't hurt as much (especially in the car), I found myself going downstairs (mostly) normally (not upstairs of course), I am puttering around the house, not lounging, etc.

I feel that I've turned the corner on the pain and disability related to the surgery itself.

When did you "turn the corner" after surgery?

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

bri

Re: How long until you "turned the corner" after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »
I also turned the corner at 2 weeks. I actually went back to work at 2 weeks. Mostly sitting at a computer ect. I am at 5 months and feel great! Some minor soreness/stiffness when I first get up from sitting for awhile.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
About then, Mike - I started driving at about 2 1/2 weeks, so started doing a lot more stuff even though I did it with one crutch for about a week more or so. Just felt freer and more energetic.

Means of course, that you are now in the infamous... whoops I overdid it territory. There's going to be setbacks along the way as you explore this newfound freedom, so enjoy, take it easy on your healing body and c'mon back when you overdid it and ask questions.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:03:52 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
Mine was a toss up, I am a side sleeper and I was able to at day 12 sleep on both sides.  That was my turn of the corner sleeping wise.  The next day I started walking around the house without crutches, that was my walking turn the corner.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 06:11:26 AM »
Congratulations on feeling better, but I'd say that you've only begun to turn the corner.  Just wait and see how good you will feel soon.
I'm almost at six months and I just turned a huge corner thanks to my wife.  A week and a half ago she asked me to do an easy mountain bike ride with her.  I had been avoiding the mountain bike even though I've been on the road bike since January.  After that nice easy ride, I've kept going back into the woods and yesterday, on ride number four, I was really rocking it.  Thank you, Michelle, I'm back!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Miguelito

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:41:39 AM »
Chuck,

I am jealous. I too am a side-sleeper but the only sleep success I am having post surgery is on my back with a long pillow under the leg on the operated side, from hamstring to foot. The incision site has really improved over the last two days but is still tender. It was extremely sensitive to even the lightest touch for the first twelve days or so.

A (somewhat) related question for you, as I know you too are a Dr. Gross patient. How long does the glue from the semi-permanent bandage last? The bandage has been off for six days and I still have an ugly, patterned tattoo on my backside. The scar wouldn't look nearly so bad without it. If I really cared I suppose I could use something to remove it; it certainly appears impervious to soap and water.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
When my incision was good and healed I took a rough wash cloth and some soap and scrubbed it off.

I hear you on being a side sleeper that drove me nuts.  My first night when I rolled over onto the op side it hurt a bit but it was worth it.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
I turned the corner everyday.  I noticed the smallest gains and it kept me going.  Each day brought better sleep, more ROM, less pain, etc.  It only gets better.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

jjmclain

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »
Each day got better. I noticed the biggest change after the 90 degree restriction was lifted at 4 weeks and I was allowed off of crutches. I have had no setbacks and have not looked back...each day, each month, etc. it kept getting better.

blkhank

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
I keep having little corner turns. I have a motion light on the back of the house,it use to make me crazy when I fed the horses I would be about 1/4 of the way to the barn and the light would flick off leaving me in the dark.(pre surgery )

Well as I'm walking to the barn, I made it all the way to barn before the light clicked off. I realize that I was walking so slow that the light would turn off before I got there. Thank goodness for new hip.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
I keep having little corner turns. I have a motion light on the back of the house,it use to make me crazy when I fed the horses I would be about 1/4 of the way to the barn and the light would flick off leaving me in the dark.(pre surgery )

Well as I'm walking to the barn, I made it all the way to barn before the light clicked off. I realize that I was walking so slow that the light would turn off before I got there. Thank goodness for new hip.

So what you're saying is your new hardware is getting you closer to the speed of light...  ;D

phillwad

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
10 when I got off pain meds
2 weeks when I could sit on the toilet and know i could get up
6 weeks when I got off crutches and could fly again, passenger not pilot - back to work
3 months when I felt I could stretch out better
5 months took a step back when I had my second hip done - scheduled and part of the plan - repeat above
12 months when I was fully release for my right side
13 months - sitting here tonight, having done a boy scout hike this week that would have left me in really pain 14 months ago and thinking - Wow this is OK

looking forward to 17 months when I will be a year from my second

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »
"looking forward to 17 months when I will be a year from my second"

Been there, phil... It is sweet.

midiowa

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
13 weeks out now , i can do so many things now that i couldnt already!!  cant wait for 1 year +  to see how i feel then. this truly is a good feeling!!   you will get there too in time!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear