+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question on timing of walking without support  (Read 1521 times)

Miguelito

Question on timing of walking without support
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:03 AM »
Two weeks post-op yesterday, no bone density issues. Going through this you take a lot of hits to your ego, so when I had my dexascan at Providence hospital (Dr. Gross's machine was on the fritz) and the technician pronounced my bone-density "off the top of the charts" I had my lone moment of pre-op pride. I lifted a lot of weights in the day, plus I was only 41, so I wasn't too worried.

Anyway...here I am at two weeks post-surgery and I find that I can easily walk short distances without any support. Frankly I could at day two but now I can do it with only a little sideways motion, and it doesn't feel like anything risky (unlike in those first few days).

I intend to try and follow the fifty pound restriction for the first six months (though that does seem somewhat cookie-cutter and i know in a month or two it is going to feel restrictive). My question now is about the walking. If I can, should I, or is that a danger to the femoral head? Falling doesn't seem to be a risk to me, I'm just wondering if the walking itself (again, very short distances) could break the femoral head.

Thanks,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Question on timing of walking without support
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »
My only advice is to follow what you're told as far as restrictions and not do anything you're not supposed to be doing. If Ok with your Doc, go nuts, if not, don't.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
The usual advice is to use a walking aid from crutches, one crutch on opposite site or cane on opposite side until you don't limp.  It is not about the loading of the femur bone in most cases, it is about getting the muscles and ligaments back to normal.  I used one crutch for about 3 weeks and sometimes not inside.  Again, you should listen to your own surgeon who knows your own case.  If you still limp and stop using the walking aids, then you are slowing your recovery.  Sometimes you don't realize if you are limping - only someone else like a PT can see it.

No matter how good you feel, you body is healing.  Don't push it with activities.  It takes a full 6 months for most healing when you are turned lose to do most normal things and a full year for all healing when some people return to exteme sports like running.  You can't see what is going on inside - just remember that you body takes time to heal even if you feel great and be patient and don't do anything dumb while waiting.

Always listen to your own surgeon.  They sometimes have seen things that mean you should be on walking aids longer like bone density problem, etc.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
I was told right from the first little walk in the hospital with the walker to focus on something ahead and not to limp.  If you start to limp, at some point you have to unlearn the limp.  Don't be in a hurry to get rid of your aids.  They will help you heal.  There are no awards for first on to walk without a cane.  There are huge rewards for being patient, doing everything right (or close to right), letting your body heal and having a successfull future.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
I'm with Woody - after a successful implant, you want to end up with a perfect gait. This lets you get to whatever your goal is without any limp or bad habits. Use the tools and let them get you to where you're walking, running, etc. correctly without pain.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »
Agreed.  Keep an aid with you until you feel like you can walk with out much of a limp.  If anything, the cane will remind you that you need to focus on a straight gate, it will also help you if you slip or trip. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

phillwad

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
Dr Brooks had me on crutches for 6 weeks.  I have 2 sets - one indoors and one for outside.  We have wooden floors and they mark easily

I felt I could have gone without crutches at about 3 weeks but "clicked, clicked, clicked" around on my 3 mile walks with the crutches for both of my recovery periods.  Think long term, not what you can do in 3 to 4 weeks - but what you will be able to do in 3 to 4 months.  Listen to the doctor ;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear